Snow/Wang Must Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
These threads are ridiculous. They're always started by the same people over and over again and all they do is complain about Snow in every thread they post in. Why don't you comment when the team is doing well instead of coming around when they play poorly just so you can say "I told you so!"?

When has this team been doing "well" under Snow? (imo being mediocre =/= doing "well").

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
This team made the playoffs last year and has been improved on since then and yet they underperform time and again. During all of Capuanos tenure these lapses and regular prolonged periods of lacklustre play have been all too frequent and now it's happening again. In other words he has to go - now! It's been too long and was long overdue even before last season although he appeared to have turned a corner then.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Are you serious with this post? I have no stake in Snow staying or leaving, but to say he destroyed the locker room in "under 6 months" completely overlooks that he must have also built that locker room as well.

Talk about only seeing what you want to see.

Oh I believe he did a very good job up until this year. He has been very patient and let the team develop properly. However the last 6 months have been a train wreck. If a train leaves from NY heading for California and makes it smoothly for 9/10 of the trip only to train wreck in Colorado... it's still ultimately a train wreck in spite of the journey to that point.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
This team made the playoffs last year and has been improved on since then and yet they underperform time and again. During all of Capuanos tenure these lapses and regular prolonged periods of lacklustre play have been all too frequent and now it's happening again. In other words he has to go - now! It's been too long and was long overdue even before last season although he appeared to have turned a corner then.

I don't think they have improved on the roster from last season. PMB and Regin look like busts. Donovan replacing Streit has been a failure. Clutterbuck for Nino is looking like a wash in the short term and a loss long term, and until Vanek proves otherwise losing Moulson is a loss too.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
HF was all upset about not getting a goalie or dman and maybe Snow thought a tweak of PMB, Regin along with Nelson and Donovan would do wonders.

It hasn't.

That's what I mean by "misread"

So, you're saying Snow is incompetent. Post Vanek trade, I think it's clear that his hands weren't tied.

You can't say what you just did, and believe Snow is competent.

startainfection*

our coach doesn't know how to handle the talent we do have, he news to go before anyone else is even a thought of being fired

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
So, you're saying Snow is incompetent. Post Vanek trade, I think it's clear that his hands weren't tied.

You can't say what you just did, and believe Snow is competent.

I'm not on the Snowteam or on the SnowSucks team. I think Snow does a great job with contracts and the cap/budget, he also knows when to walk away from a potential bad contract, which is almost the same thing but I believe leads to my biggest issue with Snow.

He doesn't make any adjustments once he realizes things aren't working.

Why not deal Boyes earlier, or at the deadline, when it was clear he was dead weight. Same for Parenteau before him. Why stick with players so long only to let them walk for nothing? Why not address weaknesses AFTER the July PMB and Regin moves, or early in season?

Same with Cappy. Can't he plainly see what we all see? Why not try different lines? Try to cut Amac's time down when he is struggling.

I don't think either is competent, if they are, it's barely competent with some forgiveness given the Wang factor.

But as I see it, Wang has been very hands off since Neil Smith.

Snow and Wang have enough to make moves and better decisions.

They just haven't done it.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I don't think they have improved on the roster from last season. PMB and Regin look like busts. Donovan replacing Streit has been a failure. Clutterbuck for Nino is looking like a wash in the short term and a loss long term, and until Vanek proves otherwise losing Moulson is a loss too.

A majority of people on this board wanted Donovan on the team. Most also thought Streit was useles. Not so turn key is it?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
A majority of people on this board wanted Donovan on the team. Most also thought Streit was useles. Not so turn key is it?

And some of us wanted Streit replaced by a decent top 4 vet because it is highly unusual to expect top 4 production out of a rookie defensman.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I would have defended Snow until relatively recently. I thought he did a great job of 1) finding assets hidden in other organizations, 2) Signing players to smart contracts, 3) maximizing draft picks.

I did not like the way he failed to turn over his roster at the deadline, which was my main complaint until this summer.

The fact that he came out of this summer with ZERO improvements to the net and blueline is notable. And, you guys can say what you want about the Bernier situation (I understand the $ package Toronto put on the table), but I have to believe that the first, second, and Nino would have been more than enough. So, instead of being set in goal, we get yet another third line digger and a rental winger.

I also see a troubling pattern lately of Snow mortgaging the future. All told, he has moved to first rounders, and two second rounders in recent years, and hasn't got much to show for it. That's some craptastic asset management.

And, then there are issues as to how he has handled coaching transitions (is Cappy really the best we can do).

So, I've slowly found myself drifting into the "Snow must go" camp too.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
And some of us wanted Streit replaced by a decent top 4 vet because it is highly unusual to expect top 4 production out of a rookie defensman.

That's fine, but there is a mentality here that certain rookies are turn key producing nhl'ers w/o growing pains.

Losing Streit and no backfilling it with another bona fide NHL defenseman was a bad sign. Having Donovan being pushed into his role, including PP time was a bad move.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I would have defended Snow until relatively recently. I thought he did a great job of 1) finding assets hidden in other organizations, 2) Signing players to smart contracts, 3) maximizing draft picks.

I did not like the way he failed to turn over his roster at the deadline, which was my main complaint until this summer.

The fact that he came out of this summer with ZERO improvements to the net and blueline is notable. And, you guys can say what you want about the Bernier situation (I understand the $ package Toronto put on the table), but I have to believe that the first, second, and Nino would have been more than enough. So, instead of being set in goal, we get yet another third line digger and a rental winger.

I also see a troubling pattern lately of Snow mortgaging the future. All told, he has moved to first rounders, and two second rounders in recent years, and hasn't got much to show for it. That's some craptastic asset management.

And, then there are issues as to how he has handled coaching transitions (is Cappy really the best we can do).

He's moved those assets without addressing the weaknesses. Clutterbuck is a nice player, but was the Isles toughness in question last playoffs? Losing Streit and keeping a shaky Nabby were the obvious issues - that's where those assets should have been used. Instead Isles beefed up a 3rd line and spent picks on an auction for a UFA to be.

Seems like Snow rolled the dice on Nabby to hold him for one season, then address the goalie is a weak market for goalies, but with some nice UFA's in the water, ie. possible depressed prices.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
That's fine, but there is a mentality here that certain rookies are turn key producing nhl'ers w/o growing pains.

Losing Streit and no backfilling it with another bona fide NHL defenseman was a bad sign. Having Donovan being pushed into his role, including PP time was a bad move.

Yeah, I have seen it. I feel like I have that argument on a weekly basis. If we had a stable, veteran defense (5 players) and you dropped 1 whole high end defensive prospect into that group I can see where you might be optimistic. Maybe the kid will have enough support to be a mistake prone but decent 2nd pair contributor, maybe even something special due to the exceptional support from the depth. However, we dropped Donovan into a broken pile of **** and are like, "Here kid, deal with the other team's top pairing every third shift." It is a recipe for destroying him as a prospect. And we will be doing the same thing with Reinhart & one more next season. So keeping score, next season the Islanders will budget and bank on having two rookies in their top 6, and one sophomore (can you say slump) who looks like he is drowning now in the top 4 next season.

And we are supposed to think, no, EXPECT this to work well? Insanity by any other name is still insanity no matter how much lipstick and koolaid you cover it with.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Guilty as charged. Never felt that Streit was useless but felt that he wasn't responsible defensively and I felt that Donovan was better than he has shown to this point. I was wrong.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

I obv. agree on the whole, but this is a little unfair. I assume the firsts moved is Nino + 2013 or 2014. Obviously, the whole Nino thing was a bust-for-NYI (not necessarily a bust pick). Hard to say whether the cap floor was the reason for that going south, but it strikes me as possible. As for the 2013-2014 pick? That's yet to be seen. Vanek's hardly been here. Ditto for the 2013 2nd.

As for the 2nd for Vis move - how was that *not* a good move? He's hurt now, but he's probably our 2nd or 3rd most valuable player. You can't predict concussions.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
name one other GM who has been as effective on the waiver wire?

That's your point!? If you want to defend Snow, pick something better than finding stuff others left behind. Or abandon this "new account" and start fresh with some real thought this time.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
outside of not firing capuano, what bad moves has snow made? he's done as much as he could with what given chances he's had.

The record, that's his report card. Sports is simple, there are tangible, measurable results to performance, for teams, players, coaches and management.

Bailey doesn't have a shot and is -6 the last four games. That sucks.

Snow doesn't get good marks because the team sucks. The team he assembled ain't getting it done.
Simple.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
outside of not firing capuano, what bad moves has snow made? he's done as much as he could with what given chances he's had.

If anything Snow had an over-inflated opinion of just where this team was. Moves like Nieterreiter for Clutterbuck and Moulson plus picks for Vanek are trades you make when you are at the verge of being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. We are nowhere near that point yet, certainly not with our defense and goaltending.

He's not Milbury, I'll give him credit for that much. If he was then Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, and maybe even Strome and Reinhart would all have been traded away by now.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Tell us what you know about what chances he's had, and how you know this. Otherwise, shill.

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island

they made the playoffs last year. they've improved basically every year under snow and that's WITH capuano.

they always have slow starts. that's on capuano. not snow.

If last year would have been the typical 82 games schedule, Last years team doesn't even sniff the play-offs.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Tell us what you know about what chances he's had, and how you know this. Otherwise, shill.

what about all the people that rant and rave about Snow being able to do better? how do they know what opportunities he had? it goes both ways...

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
what about all the people that rant and rave about Snow being able to do better? how do they know what opportunities he had? it goes both ways...

You're not following the dialectic. The point was being given to mitigate what is prima facie a failure, as indicated by the results. Snow's job is to improve the team. He didn't. We either blame him, as is our right. Or we find out what the mitigating factors were. What were they?

If you're not ranting and raving, at least try to keep up.

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island

Great post and very true. Snow's been horrible at asset management. Nino didn't want to be here. Okay, fine. Bernier trade fall apart. Okay fine, so you settle for Clutterbuck? Make's you wonder why this trade couldn't have gone down? Nino, Moulson, 1st and 2nd round pick for Vanek and Miller(I'm just assuming that Miller in the long run, also wants nothing to do with a long term rebuild team). At least one of your major team weakness gets addressed, while also giving JT an elite winger like he's needed.

Bottom line is, Teams AHL defense and weak goaltending needed to be fixed before JT got an elite winger.

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
You're not following the dialectic. The point was being given to mitigate what is prima facie a failure, as indicated by the results. Snow's job is to improve the team. He didn't. We either blame him, as is our right. Or we find out what the mitigating factors were. What were they?

If you're not ranting and raving, at least try to keep up.

you just admitted that you don't know the mitigating factors. enough said... or is this too simple for you?

you do enough ranting and raving for us both. carry on, because you obviously are aware, being the supreme being that you are, that it leads to ultimate happiness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad