Snow/Wang Must Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm a prospects guy? Because I watch AHL, CHL, and KHL Hockey?

Do I think the islanders have more talent in the system than you do? YUP (And so does anyone that watches juniors players) as the islanders are one of the better thought of organizations in the eyes of the experts, in terms of prospects. I mean I know this alone crushes your position in and of itself. But again this is reality vs. delusional all over again.

There are plenty of core players already on the Islanders that 'have it'. Sadly they are being misused. I don't expect someone like you to see it. I have moved on from hoping you could watch and understand the intricacies of hockey.

I can try and spell it out for you, but you can only lead a horse to water. Just because there are SOME bad players, and players are often used incorrectly and proper adjustments are not made, does not mean that the entire organization sucks and that everyone needs to be fired and nobody 'has it' and everything is average.

that is such a lazy and simplistic view... but then again look who i'm talking to.

I don't watch anything other than the NHL so obviously your opinion is correct...

We have been hearing for 10 years that this team has a great prospect pool, when does it show on the ice?

Core players like Bailey, Okposo, and Graber are known to disappear for 10 games at a time. Capuano sucks but the core isn't that great either

Islesmets1

Nov 10, 2013
Funny thing is, normally there's a GM retread carousel but in the case of Garth Snow, when he does eventually get canned the only job he'd be qualified for is HS goalie coach

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Because he had the right ideas about evaluating talent and told Wang what this team needed and the cost, which led to his firing

So in other words are we going to need to wait for him to kick the bucket like "Dollar" Bill Wirtz before we ever have a shot at being competitive again?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I don't watch anything other than the NHL so obviously your opinion is correct...
Not what I'm saying AT ALL

We have been hearing for 10 years that this team has a great prospect pool, when does it show on the ice?
I get that you are exaggerating here but the islanders prospect pool was extremely lousy 10 years ago. The pool didn't legitimately get strong until a couple of years ago when Snow had a few drafts and players developed after their draft years into stronger players (which actually happens popular to contrary hfboards belief).

Core players like Bailey, Okposo, and Graber are known to disappear for 10 games at a time? Capuano sucks but the core isn't that great either
Consistency is something we all demand from players, it's something we all want but is not always there. When a player or two is consistently inconsistent it is an issue. When ALL players are consistently inconsistent, i can tell you 100% of the time it is a tell tale sign that the coaching is poor. Whether its lack of motivation, allowing players to stray away from their games/strengths either systematically or from their physical strengths, or not conveying the system properly in practice which leads to confusion and lack of confidence/flow.

The coaching has consistently been awful. It downgrades a lot of things.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
ITM

The prospect pool does look better and has more promise than 5 years ago. Still sometimes prospects work (small NHL sample) like Nelson sometimes they don't like Donovan. After all the years in the basement we should have a great prospect pool it's not a great accomplishment.

Agree with everything you say about Capuano. Capuano is still Snows hire and I think the roster is a bottom feeder roster no matter who coaches.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
These threads are ridiculous. They're always started by the same people over and over again and all they do is complain about Snow in every thread they post in. Why don't you comment when the team is doing well instead of coming around when they play poorly just so you can say "I told you so!"?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have never called for Snow's head. But if the islanders take the Ice on Tuesday night and Capuano is still the Head Coach, then the finger needs to be turned toward Snow.

What if he's not allowed to fire capuano per wang?

This is a serious question.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
These threads are ridiculous. They're always started by the same people over and over again and all they do is complain about Snow in every thread they post in. Why don't you comment when the team is doing well instead of coming around when they play poorly just so you can say "I told you so!"?

Snow is not a great GM. However i do not think he is the worst.
I think he needs to Fire Cappy and find a Goalie. then after letting cappy go and finding someone to play net if the team does not improve he should go.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
What if he's not allowed to fire capuano per wang?

This is a serious question.

Snow's Powerpoint presentations better be up to snuff. If Wang tries to stonewall Snow from firing Cappy, it's Snow's responsibility to present to him, what it means in dollars (lost revenue) for the team failing to make the playoffs both in lost ticket sales for potential playoff games as well as season ticket renewals once Vanek walks out the door (which will happen if the Islanders fall short of the playoffs this season). The decision to do this needs to be made immediately, we cant waste time so Capuano can say he's employed at the dinner table with his kids over Thanksgiving.

The Powerpoint better be locked and loaded and in front of Charlie tomorrow morning.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Snow should be embarrassed. If he's not I'm embarrassed for him. How do you destroy a good team and lockeroom in under 6 months? Ask garf.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Snow may have misread this team. Maybe they aren't very good - nor are there any young players who are ready to make this team better this year.

I don't think Capuano has done a good job either, but the Isles were very healthy last year, they are showing their complete lack of depth this year.

Doesn't help that the added players have been awful.

Regin has one goal. PMB is the new Boyes, marginally better and thankfully not on the top line. Much like early last year, the isles are losing because MacDonald is struggling (Hamonic is by association, mostly) and goaltending is inconsistent. Add injury to Visnovsky and no Streit, you have zero options on defense - Ness and Carkner have to play in key situations for God's sake.

Maybe this team needs a couple more years of going with youth.

Drop Regin, PMB, trade Vanek, MacDonald and Nabby at the deadline, play Strome and soon, deHaan and Lee in the NHL - ala Bailey.

McDonald, who I thought was okay tonight except on that Gallagher goal! is having an awful year with Cizikas and Martin. Clutterbuck hasn't done much, this team has a solid 10-12 players but the rest are severe liabilities.

New coach may help, but wouldn't hold my breath.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Save us ratner!!!

He already did.

It would be nice if he did it again and bought the team or had Prokharov buy them. I don't hate Wang the way some wackos do but I could certainly do without him.

Save us Ratner!!! This should be the new chant at every home game. It can start on Tuesday with the 8K there.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Snow may have misread this team. Maybe they aren't very good - nor are there any young players who are ready to make this team better this year.

I don't think Capuano has done a good job either, but the Isles were very healthy last year, they are showing their complete lack of depth this year.

Regin has one goal. PMB is the new Boyes, marginally better and thankfully not on the top line. Much like early last year, the isles are losing because MacDonald is struggling (Hamonic is by association, mostly) and goaltending is inconsistent. Add injury to Visnovsky and no Streit, you have zero options on defense - Ness and Carkner have to play in key situations for God's sake.

Drop Regin, PMB, trade Vanek, MacDonald and Nabby at the deadline, play Strome and soon, deHaan and Lee in the NHL - ala Bailey.

McDonald, who I thought was okay tonight except on that Gallagher goal! is having an awful year with Cizikas and Martin. Clutterbuck hasn't done much, this team has a solid 10-12 players but the rest are severe liabilities.

Boyes > PMB

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
That is such backwards thinking. Snow being allowed to hire another coach is a show of confidence by Wang. Snow should be shown the door. How many losing seasons does Snow need to have before some say enough is enough. For all the losing we have suffered through the prospect pool is average and the "core" we have does not have what it takes.

Don't be foolish. Snow isn't going to fire Capuano & hire anyone other than Weight or maybe Pelerin. It's a Wang pick and nothing more.

and frankly I've warmed up to the idea of Weight as head coach. Despite having no experience, he was a great & smart player. He has done a good job with the PP (although lately they've been bad). I just get the feeling that Capuano handles the 5 on 5 and the PK, and Pelerin handles the defense & of course those are the weak points. our only strength is the PP and Weight is the one who handles that. Of course I wish Weight was the head coach in bridgeport for the last 2 or 3 years but whatever he was an assistant coach.

either way snow isn't going anywhere till Ratner buys us & cleans house. Might as well fire Capuano while there's still plenty of season left for it to actually have an effect on the team.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I don't think he misread the team. I think in two of the key areas he completely failed to make the proper adjustments. Going into the offseason they needed either a 1a/b to compete with Nabokov if he was coming back and he failed to get Bernier/Schnieder or sign a FA goalie that could compete. Poulin has played well thankfully but that was a major sign. Another was finding a defensive defensemen. Brian Strait is not the answer. He is a regular on lower end teams. He jumped at resigning him thinking he was an answer without truly seeing what he could do. You didn't need a stud but hell at least someone that could play regular minutes and not be a liability out there. Since this team lacks a tru top pairing Dman they really needed to solidify all 3 pairings.

This team didn't need a lot of tinkering but it needed some. The scoring lines were fine. I thought the Vanek trade was a good one(your not going to get a Vanek value type of Dman for that trade, they are too in demand). Nino for Clutterbuck was misvalued.

Snow makes slight improvements to the team. But hasn't show to really be capable of making that savvy GM move to really improve an area of this team.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

How could anyone misread the team? Wasn't it plain as day that this was a team with forward talent that needed help on D and in net in order to become consistent? Reading the team was easy as pie. What he failed to do was to improve the team in those areas. Does this really need to be discussed?

If he "misread" the team, he's not an NHL GM. He should create a contract-consultation firm with Mike Tanenbaum, another team-misreader.

I agree there.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
A new coach would do wonders, don't fool yourselves. Making a change like that shows that management is holding someone accountable. But, and this is a huge BUT, they need to bring in a qualified NHL coach.

On the get rid of snow topic, I think we have to keep something in mind. Snow used the draft 2 years ago to draft all D-men. The writing was on the wall that he was not going to go out and trade or sign for any D-man for any term longer then 2 years. No respectable d-man was coming for a 2 year stint. Snow needs to keep roster spots for Reinhart, Donovan, Pullock and Dehann. I'm not saying these guys will end up being on the team, but clearly his vision is to have them there. Right or wrong, he has always stuck to his vision. For the most part, it's worked for the forwards, we are deep up front.
Where he missed the boat was on goaltending. He needed to do everything under the moon to bring in a legit starter knowing the D was a work in progress. IMO this is where he screwed this up. Worth firing? I don't think it's warranted yet.

In short, Cappy must be fired, players are not responding. New coach has to have experience and a track record of being able to work with young players. Not a Ted Nolan that would only play vets.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
How could anyone misread the team? Wasn't it plain as day that this was a team with forward talent that needed help on D and in net in order to become consistent? Reading the team was easy as pie. What he failed to do was to improve the team in those areas. Does this really need to be discussed?

If he "misread" the team, he's not an NHL GM. He should create a contract-consultation firm with Mike Tanenbaum, another team-misreader.

Snow may have felt the team was good enough to compete. Easy to be fooled, they were among the best in the league the last 25-30 games and played well against the Pens.

HF was all upset about not getting a goalie or dman and maybe Snow thought a tweak of PMB, Regin along with Nelson and Donovan would do wonders.

It hasn't.

That's what I mean by "misread"

The core players have been very good, for the most part. Everyone else has been a disaster though.

Bailey doesn't have a shot in the last four games - he is clearly in a funk. Nielsen is also not himself. But for the most part, the key players are playing as expected.

Hamonic and MacDonald out for that long each game -can't afford to have that many struggling minutes.

Regardless of what happened thus far, it's on BOTH Snow (to help with personnel) AND Capuano (roster and on-ice, in-game decisions) to get more from this lineup.

This team is better than what they've shown on this road trip. Even in the sad east, you can't lose four straight against such poor teams.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
A new coach would do wonders, don't fool yourselves. Making a change like that shows that management is holding someone accountable. But, and this is a huge BUT, they need to bring in a qualified NHL coach.

On the get rid of snow topic, I think we have to keep something in mind. Snow used the draft 2 years ago to draft all D-men. The writing was on the wall that he was not going to go out and trade or sign for any D-man for any term longer then 2 years. No respectable d-man was coming for a 2 year stint. Snow needs to keep roster spots for Reinhart, Donovan, Pullock and Dehann. I'm not saying these guys will end up being on the team, but clearly his vision is to have them there. Right or wrong, he has always stuck to his vision. For the most part, it's worked for the forwards, we are deep up front.
Where he missed the boat was on goaltending. He needed to do everything under the moon to bring in a legit starter knowing the D was a work in progress. IMO this is where he screwed this up. Worth firing? I don't think it's warranted yet.

In short, Cappy must be fired, players are not responding. New coach has to have experience and a track record of being able to work with young players. Not a Ted Nolan that would only play vets.

I agree with your final summary, but I have to disagree with the concept if only needing a defenseman for 2 years. It takes 5 to 7 years to groom a defenseman after they are drafted. They should have added one, if not two more. Snow failed in a big way on this.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Snow should be embarrassed. If he's not I'm embarrassed for him. How do you destroy a good team and lockeroom in under 6 months? Ask garf.

Are you serious with this post? I have no stake in Snow staying or leaving, but to say he destroyed the locker room in "under 6 months" completely overlooks that he must have also built that locker room as well.

Talk about only seeing what you want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad