TV: SNL Season 48

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I liked Phil Hartman’s Clinton.

Not as good an impression as Hammond but the spirit is good. Like Ferrell’s Bush Jr.

The difference between SNL now and back then, The production value has gone down, and it seems like people don't have their lines memorized like before.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The difference between SNL now and back then, The production value has gone down, and it seems like people don't have their lines memorized like before.

Nobody memorized their lines before. They’ve always used cue cards since they do re-writes up to the very last minute.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hartman was just a machine though. Most consummate professional ever to be on the cast and elevated everyone else.

Poor Tim Meadows only got in like 10 sketches his first five years so he didn't have many lines to memorize.

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Hartman was just a machine though. Most consummate professional ever to be on the cast and elevated everyone else.

Poor Tim Meadows only got in like 10 sketches his first five years so he didn't have many lines to memorize.

Meadows was good, too bad he didn’t get used more in the early days. He stuck around long enough that he got more air time though.

I like when Mike Myers came back to host and Meadows was still in the cast. Myers said “Tim, great of you to be here to support me” and Meadows replied “Actually, I’m still in the cast.”

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
This was the first decent episode, even after another brutal cold open. The fortune teller bit was gold (talk about something right in McKinnon's wheelhouse, too)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I liked Phil Hartman’s Clinton.

Not as good an impression as Hammond but the spirit is good. Like Ferrell’s Bush Jr.

Phil Hartman is my all time favorite SNL cast member. You're right that his Clinton wasn't as spot on as Hammond's, but I think he really captured the glint in the eye Clinton had before....well, lets not go there.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I guess Cecily Strong is off working on another show, and that’s why we haven’t seen her so far this year. Hope she comes back soon.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Phil Hartman is my all time favorite SNL cast member. You're right that his Clinton wasn't as spot on as Hammond's, but I think he really captured the glint in the eye Clinton had before....well, lets not go there.

Phil Hartman playing the acting teacher was one of my favourites, although he didn’t do that when he was in the cast. He hosted a couple of times and did it both times I think.

“This is something, this is nothing.”

“Side note, I don’t like women. They shouldn’t be in the business.”

Gold.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Nobody memorized their lines before. They’ve always used cue cards since they do re-writes up to the very last minute.

I know about cue cards but when you look back at the clips from 20 year ago the lines came off more flawlessly.

Indeed, I'm doing a rewatch of the Farley years and it's just incredible how more well-acted the sketches are in terms of eyes on character vs eyes on cards (Pete Davidson is particularly bad at this).

I mean, even this past episode, it's not a great sign when the host, who is a stand-up comedian, is one of the best sketch actors of the night, both in terms of keeping eyes off the cards and in not breaking (I'm looking at you, Kate, at the end of the Cinema Classics sketch. She makes a conscious decision to just smile through half her sketches now and it bugs me to no end).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Chappelle and the Foo Fighters means I am probably watching more then the first 5 minutes and the Weekend Update this week.

I think Dave Grohl might hold the record for most appearances by a musician

Nirvana - 2x
Tom Petty - 1x
Paul McCartney (with surviving members of Nirvana) - 1x
Them Crooked Vultures - 1x
Foo Fighters - 9x (including this upcoming appearance)

14 times in total

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad