Post-Game Talk: Snip snap! You have no idea the physical toll that this team has on a person. Panthers win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Well he's at the faceoff dot pretty much, Pisser is playing forward so he should have the defenseman, Myers in this case. Winger always takes the defenseman jumping up the play. Pisser is just clueless and horribly late.
Yeah just bad coverage overall by both, but the worst thing was to allow Gaudette the open space sitting right on top of the crease IMO. If Bob hadn't covered the rebound in time with his glove after saving it, Myers probably would have reached it before Yands (who turned his attention over to Gaudette after).

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The play didn’t even result in a goal and yandle was able to stop any rebound chance by tying up the canucks player’s stick. If he is on top of Canucks player and puck gets to Myers it’s slam dunk. This is a good example of putting a player under the microscope when it’s not necessary

Ok just go watch the replay it's around 11 minutes left in the third you'll see Yandle was totally checked out. Myers seems close but he really isn't. Yandle didn't take his guy in front, didn't take his stick and let the #88 have a clear shot at the net. It was atrocious defensively.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah just bad coverage overall by both, but the worst thing was to allow Gaudette the open space sitting right on top of the crease IMO. If Bob hadn't covered the rebound in time with his glove after saving it, Myers probably would have reached it before Yands (who turned his attention over to Gaudette after).

Yeah Myers would have reached it but like you see in the gif and if you watch the replay, it's Pisser who's coming in late to cover him. Yands does nothing on that play and takes no one.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Yeah Myers would have reached it but like you see in the gif and if you watch the replay, it's Pisser who's coming in late to cover him. Yands does nothing on that play and takes no one.
Yeah Yands' stick positioning and eyes/facial expression seems like he was dead set on Myers than Gaudette, I just think you can't give that guy on top of the crease all that space. Maybe Myers gets an empty netter if the pass some how reaches him, but Gaudette could have just as easily scored if he timed the re-direction better.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The puck is just getting to the Canuck infront of the net here. Boyle isn't even close to him because he's taking away the passing lane to #26 in the middle.

ALso you can see Yandle is all alone with the guy infront while Pisser is clueless about Myers going for the backdoor.

Yandle takes absolutely no one and just stands there watching the puck.

Untitled.png
Because that’s where he is supposed to be. Weak
Side zone. They don’t play man to man. His job is to clear the weak side period

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Only saw highlights but damn those goals against what sloppy sloppy plays

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Weak side coverage? When an opposing forward is all alone in front of the goalie crease with the puck and no Dman is to be seen, the closest defending player's responsibility is to cover the the weak side?

Boy are we throwing any hockey 1-0-1 out of the window - and that by people who I thought had a pretty good idea of analysing on-ice plays.

The breakdown / main mistake happened already, putting the team already in trouble by blown coverage. But the reaction was not the right one and with luck and Bob, we did not give up the goal.

Reactions: Kellyr

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
This seemed to be the kind of game that fits our style, thank you Canucks. Nice to see it worked for once. The potential is there, matter of being able to reproduce that on a constant basis.

As some pointed out, we always look better in those games, but again it is high risk-high reward - Bob had a great game and our offense executed enough. The team still needs to learn to handle tight games (we were a lot better at that in the Gallant days)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Weak side coverage? When an opposing forward is all alone in front of the goalie crease with the puck and no Dman is to be seen, the closest defending player's responsibility is to cover the the weak side?

Boy are we throwing any hockey 1-0-1 out of the window - and that by people who I thought had a pretty good idea of analysing on-ice plays.

The breakdown / main mistake happened already, putting the team already in trouble by blown coverage. But the reaction was not the right one and with luck and Bob, we did not give up the goal.

Nothing to do with weak side. Boyle has the center and covers the passing lane to #26, nobody else is infront except Yandle and #88. It's his guy.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
What a fun game to attend! Crowd was awesome. I thought they played really well and Bob made a few key saves when needed. The crowd Sunday should be pretty wild, looking forward to it.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Mentally preparing myself for giving up 6-8 goals against Toronto on Sunday.
I'm not expecting a win but my optimism is that it's a one game trip for Toronto (not facing Tampa) and they left on Friday morning so they'll be partying all Friday and Saturday, sets up well for a Florida flu game. With games vs La and in Detroit, Minny, and Chicago after that, if they can beat Toronto they have a good chance to roll off some wins, and with Philly having a tough schedule, hopefully put some space between 8th and 9th.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
these types of games don't make me feel warm and fuzzy. sure, it's fun to see the skill on breakaways and power plays. and you need that. and decent teams will get (need) some of these games during the season. but based on what i saw (and granted, i didn't watch much of the 3rd), it didn't appear we played terribly well. we were opportunistic but turnovers were up again. after 3-1, it didn't really feel like the panthers were forced to exert much effort 5v5.

these are the types of games that could just as easily go against us at this point, which tells you something about the team's identity and will right now.

unpopular opinion i'm sure but i preferred our game tuesday night.
I actually agree, they played a better overall game Tuesday EXCEPT for Yandle, without whose gaffes the Coyotes would have scored two less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->