NHL 19 Sneaky third line production from good players

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I decided to mirror the Blackhawks’ current lines in my sim. That means Alex DeBrincat and Dylan Strome on the third line.

I also put both on the first powerplay unit, as it goes in real life. They average about 15:30 TOI per game. I also have penalty slider set to 4 for my sims.

DeBrincat gets 60-70 points, Strome 55-65 points from the third line role. Both players score as much of more than Toews and Saad so from the first line with ~18 minutes TOI.

Also, I reloaded a few times and left everything the same but swapped DeBrincat and Saad. DeBrincat scored LESS with first line ice time and Toews as his partner.
Has anyone had a similar experience and is this a thing EA has built in where good players perform well on the third line?

Reactions: Trizz617

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
How many of those points came on the power play? Also, if your power play gelled during one sim and not the other, that makes a big differance.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I decided to mirror the Blackhawks’ current lines in my sim. That means Alex DeBrincat and Dylan Strome on the third line.

I also put both on the first powerplay unit, as it goes in real life. They average about 15:30 TOI per game. I also have penalty slider set to 4 for my sims.

DeBrincat gets 60-70 points, Strome 55-65 points from the third line role. Both players score as much of more than Toews and Saad so from the first line with ~18 minutes TOI.

Also, I reloaded a few times and left everything the same but swapped DeBrincat and Saad. DeBrincat scored LESS with first line ice time and Toews as his partner.
Has anyone had a similar experience and is this a thing EA has built in where good players perform well on the third line?

Are you sure you didn't accidentally put Saad on the PP in DeBrincat's place?

In simming, PP usage accounts for a big chunk of the scoring. A player on your 3rd line with top unit PP time will produce more than a 1st or 2nd line player without it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Are you sure you didn't accidentally put Saad on the PP in DeBrincat's place?

In simming, PP usage accounts for a big chunk of the scoring. A player on your 3rd line with top unit PP time will produce more than a 1st or 2nd line player without it.

The power plays were the same each time, I only changed 5v5 lines.

Maybe it has something to do with who is paired with Toews has their number dragged down?

But I was wondering if the game somehow has a quality of competition factor. Like maybe the guys on the third line get points easier because the game figures they’re going against softer competition? If so, I’d be really surprised that EA even thought about that detail

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The power plays were the same each time, I only changed 5v5 lines.

Maybe it has something to do with who is paired with Toews has their number dragged down?

But I was wondering if the game somehow has a quality of competition factor. Like maybe the guys on the third line get points easier because the game figures they’re going against softer competition? If so, I’d be really surprised that EA even thought about that detail

What is Debrincat's designation (PLY, SNP)? Same with Saad.

Is there a big difference between their offensive attributes? Especially o awareness, shooting, passing, hand eye?

I'm guessing Debrincat probably has very high o awareness among other things compared to Saad. Doesn't matter if Saad has a higher overall or not. Overall isn't always a fair indicator of offensive ability.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
What is Debrincat's designation (PLY, SNP)? Same with Saad.

Is there a big difference between their offensive attributes? Especially o awareness, shooting, passing, hand eye?

I'm guessing Debrincat probably has very high o awareness among other things compared to Saad. Doesn't matter if Saad has a higher overall or not. Overall isn't always a fair indicator of offensive ability.

Yeah I'd suspect its partially because Saad has stronger defensive stats, as does toews. And both are twf I believe so hed get a more defensive style from the coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad