Post-Game Talk (GBU): Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I don't believe he was suggesting anyone be excited. It's one of those perspective things.

Yeah.

There is pretty much no separation. For as bad as the Sabres have been...about half the conference is just as mediocre.

All it takes is a couple game winning streak and you're now the ones the other teams are gunning for. A couple game losing streak and your a cellar dweller. And then all that can change just a few games later because the other teams are gonna do the exact same roller coaster.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't say that this win was "Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat". It's more accurate to say, "Sabres avoid a loss."

I know its less exciting, but it matches their gameplay.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't get the Stafford hate. I thought he had a really strong game and has looked good recently. He's just not scoring. But, he's playing with a lot of physicality and tenacity, and doing some good back-checking. He needs to drive the net a bit more, but I'm ok with his game. He'll go on a scoring streak pretty soon, I think.

Also, I saw some negative comments on Weber. Again, I thought for the most part he played a solid, simple game -- especially considering how bad his partner has been and how many difficult minutes he is being forced to play with the injuries. He made a few mistakes, but I noticed a lot more good plays from him.

Anyway, see a lot of improvement from Ennis, Foligno and Grigorenko (and a little bit of Gerbe). The real problem is our inability to clear the D-zone on simple plays. If Myers goes into late-season beast mode, this team suddenly looks a lot different.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Scott was doing a good job playing more of an agitator role. Rayzor pointed it out and I thought he was right. That adds an interesting dimension to his game - 6'8" troll.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
How are more people not praising Ennis's hit on Georges? The little guy knocked the guy out the entire first period

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think the issue with Weber and Myers is that after the 1st two goals against them they got into a funk and ended up in a downwards spiral. Neither of the 1st two were through their fault, but after that it was almost as if they went oh sh*% we need to up our game and they just weren't that good. Unfortunately you know its a bad night when the best pairing is Brennan and Sulzer.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Everyone should be excited we're tied for 13th? Or have surrendered the most goals in the NHL? Or that only Dallas gives up more SOG than we do? Or have the third worst goal differential in the conference? This is not a good hockey club. They're capable of being mediocre if they correct somethings, but I find it difficult to be excited about that.

I have to respectfully disagree here because I think that the things that need correcting (faceoffs, defensive & puck responsibility, secondary scoring, powerplay, Miller) are big enough issues that if they all (or even few) get corrected, we're suddenly capable of beating anyone on any given night (case in point, Boston last week). And that's all that matters. NHL Playoffs man: just gotta get in.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Because it was out of character and not a "regular" thing with him. Sure it was great, but don't expect it again anytime soon.

We are so soft.

But we need more of that, and we need to encourage it.

5-9 or 6-9: everyone throws a body. That needs to be the mindset.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Myers offensive game is non existant. 1 point in 11 games and that goal came in game 1. So Myers has a 10 game pointless streak... That screams #1 dman :facepalm:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Myers offensive game is non existant. 1 point in 11 games and that goal came in game 1. So Myers has a 10 game pointless streak... That screams #1 dman :facepalm:

I think you are just looking at a young man currently lacking confidence. If he can pick up his defensive end play, which he seems to be slowly doing, I suspect confidence will come back and the numbers will go up.

The last two games we've seen him rushing the puck a bit more, being more aggressive. Those are good signs.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I think you are just looking at a young man currently lacking confidence. If he can pick up his defensive end play, which he seems to be slowly doing, I suspect confidence will come back and the numbers will go up.

The last two games we've seen him rushing the puck a bit more, being more aggressive. Those are good signs.

Agreed. I'll start worrying about Myers after this season is over and he doesn't improve.

He's in a bad place right now though, no doubt.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I don't get the Stafford hate. I thought he had a really strong game and has looked good recently. He's just not scoring. But, he's playing with a lot of physicality and tenacity, and doing some good back-checking. He needs to drive the net a bit more, but I'm ok with his game. He'll go on a scoring streak pretty soon, I think.

That's the problem. He's paid to score or help other people score goals. He's produced almost no offense, all of his assits are either secondary or were the product of chances created the goal scorer.

He's also not far behind Jordan Leopold in the race to -100. You can make anecdotal statements all you want, but Stafford is the poster boy for this team right now: Lots of pucks go in the net when he's on the ice and he's doing almost nothing offensively.

Stafford has some tools but appears to have negative hockey sense. He just doesn't make plays for other people, and when Ennis isn't creating for him he's basically useless.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
For all of the gloom and doomers:

Sabres 1 point back of 8th place Carolina (CAR has 2 games in hand).
Sabres 2 points back of 7th place Toronto (TOR has 0 games in hand).

Of course you realize, just like last season, there are EIGHT other teams trying to also get that last spot or two.

Could be a problem, especially when three of them are named Flyers, Rangers & Hurricanes. That's also assuming the Panthers, Caps, Isles and Jets never pull anything together.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
That's the problem. He's paid to score or help other people score goals. He's produced almost no offense, all of his assits are either secondary or were the product of chances created the goal scorer.

All of them? Like his beautiful "secondary" assist on Sekera's goal in the Leafs home game? Or Ennis's goal in Washington that was created by the turnover he caused in the neutral zone, dished off and then drove the net leaving the bunny for Ennis? Or him shaking off the Senator defender--who comically fell into the boards--and creating the rebound that led to Ennis's goal in Ottawa the other night? Or him springing Vanek for the game-tying goal in the opener vs Philly.

Look, Stafford has to start scoring goals, and he's not going to continue shooting 0%, but, as shown, you're writing fiction with the above quote.

He's also not far behind Jordan Leopold in the race to -100.

Again, all the people citing his +/- must've thought he was really good coming into this year considering he's never been a minus player in his career.

You can make anecdotal statements all you want, but Stafford is the poster boy for this team right now: Lots of pucks go in the net when he's on the ice and he's doing almost nothing offensively.

I'm quasi-offended to the extent that you think other posters are ignorant of objective stats. Buffalo's shooting% with Stafford on the ice is a very low 5.48%; in other words, goaltenders have a .945 SV% when Stafford's line is on the ice at 5-on-5.

Stafford has some tools but appears to have negative hockey sense. He just doesn't make plays for other people, and when Ennis isn't creating for him he's basically useless.

Based on his zero assists at 5-on-5, Ennis isn't creating much for anyone. Given that Stafford has three primaries at 5-on-5 to Enzo's nil--and his one secondary was a really nice play--I'd hate to see what you have to say about Little Tyler.

Again, I'm in agreement that Stafford has to find the net. He'll start progressing to his mean. But, to be frank, you're making **** up. C'mon, you're better than that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I thought they looked like they have the past couple weeks. They just faced a back up goalie, and their shots actually went in. They still didn't look impressive, IMO.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Three assists tonight, including the play that set up the tying goal. Tonight is probably the wrong night to call for his benching.

Yeah, that bothered me a bit so I watched the game again. Maybe I'm over focused on the lost battles on the boards, mishandles of the puck, passes to no where, slow stride and seemingly being lost in never never land vis a vis his positioning on the ice.

Which there was plenty of this game. But he also chipped the puck up the boards to Ennis on his goal, ran over someone in the offensive zone on the game tying goal and came away with 3 assists.

So your point is valid.... He certainly didn't stink up the place. And a lot of solid posters thought he had a good game.

I guess I chose the wrong moment to vent my season to date observations vis a vis Marcus. Bad timing. But I have been expecting so much more.

Have you ever had one of those games where the scoresheet said you were great but you know you sucked out there, missing assignments, etc..? That's the story of my hockey "career" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad