Post-Game Talk (GBU): Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I think he's been the only respectable 2 way player on that line. He's doing all the thankless work.

Some nights he shines in that role. Tonight was not one of those nights.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
the sabres played a little better in some areas today. and vanek only scored 50% of the goals for the sabres.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Their compete level against a team playing back to backs was disgusting.
By the halfway point of the game, I found myself assuming that every time there was a board battle, a Habs player was going to end up with the puck.

I thought that halfway through the third. I thought they played a great second period. To me they look poorly conditioned and out of shape

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Honestly the fact we tied it up late isn't going to stop me from *****ing about how the clock and lines were managed at the end of the game.

Ugly: 2 minutes to go and VHP had tons of pressure in the Habs end almost tying it up. Instead of calling a time-out and pulling the goalie Ruff decides to send out Cody McCormick and co to do nothing for 30 seconds. If that wasn't bad enough he sends out Hecht and Grigs who proceed to get trapped in Buffalo's zone for the next minute almost allowing Montreal to add another goal. We finally get a faceoff with 20 seconds remaining and Ruff uses his timeout but there was a huge risk that we never get the stoppage of play to allow that.

The complete incompetence of Ruff in those last 2 minutes blows my mind.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Honestly the fact we tied it up late isn't going to stop me from *****ing about how the clock and lines were managed at the end of the game.

Ugly: 2 minutes to go and VHP had tons of pressure in the Habs end almost tying it up. Instead of calling a time-out and pulling the goalie Ruff decides to send out Cody McCormick and co to do nothing for 30 seconds. If that wasn't bad enough he sends out Hecht and Grigs who proceed to get trapped in Buffalo's zone for the next minute almost allowing Montreal to add another goal. We finally get a faceoff with 20 seconds remaining and Ruff uses his timeout but there was a huge risk that we never get the stoppage of play to allow that.

The complete incompetence of Ruff in those last 2 minutes blows my mind.

Yeah the lines were suspect. Maybe Lindy had already thrown in the towel.

Oh well, we got the win. Amazing :yo:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Good: It's a win
Vanek - 'nuff said, Sabres are lost w/o him
Ott - played his heart out, liked his edge
Ehrhoff - a bit rusty but welcome back
Myers - moving the puck better
Ennis - nice goal

Bad: Stafford just did not impress me that much
Miller 4 (5 w/SO) goals? Really? (Played way too deep in net IMO)
Grigs: I know he's a fan favorite but he really needs a whole lot more seasoning. Definitely looks like a boy playing amongst men right now. (P.S. his big chance in the 3rd wasn't going in anyways since he was stetched out too much and had insufficient leverage on his stick.)
Foligno - I really wonder where his game has gone. I think he needs to be sat,
Weber - Was he minus 3 or 4......? Not sure but it seemed like he was on the ice for all Habs goals

U: This gives mgmt all the excuses it needs (even tho mgmt needs no excuses) to keep stringing us all along.

Laughable: Great win but it was against Petr Budaj - who has trouble stopping peewees in SOs!

Three assists tonight, including the play that set up the tying goal. Tonight is probably the wrong night to call for his benching.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Three assists tonight, including the play that set up the tying goal. Tonight is probably the wrong night to call for his benching.

He got points but he needs to be moving his feet more, he isn't the Foligno we had last year that's for sure. I guess if he's producing, it sort of balances out. I'd like him to be more physical though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with jfb -- terrible play effort most of the night against a team coming off a hard game last night. There isn't much spark with this team. If not for some superior efforts from very few individuals tonight, they go down to another loss.

Great -

- Vanek. He's in the zone, even after Prust rocked him he just kept going. I personally thought his best play up until the goals was the hard backcheck late in the second that broke up an odd man rush.

Good -
- Ennis went from nothing to four goals in a hurry. Nice hit on Gorges too.
- Brennan didn't totally suck tonight. He may be catching up to the speed at this level, at least enough to not be a void out there.
- Miller dialing it in for the shootout.
- Pominville with his patented wrister glove-side for the GWG.
- Foligno bulling to the net more, keeping pucks alive around the cage and a good tone setting hit on Markov. Best game of the season for him.

Bad -

- Hey Hecht, that limp shoot in to get your line change and then the limp hook you took right after it? Yeah, that **** isn't a vet play. That's candy ass. Go back to the DEL.
- Handgrenades abound from most of them in the d-zone.
- Miller was shaky most of the night.

Ugly -

- Scott nearly grabbing White from the bench during his tiff with Ott.
- Getting down 4-2 to a team coming off a game last night? The effort sucked.
- Static five-on-threes? Classic Sabre PP tactics and yet again easily defended.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Good:
THIS TEAM SHOWING SOME ****IN' HEART!!!!!
Vanek
Ott
Ennis
Foligno
Ehrhoff
Myers (Good game kid, keep it up!)

Bad:
WTBH is up with Stafford??
Miller. Gotta stop Plekanec there, give us that pick-me-up.

Ugly:
Lindy's line management. Why was McCormick on the ice w/ a minute left??

Hoping to Vanek that Vanek's groin is alright, RJ and Rayzor were talking about how it seemed like he might have tweaked it on that onside play. Hopefully all is on the up and up.

Also, fans: Let's 86 the pessimism and this socially constructed expectation for this team to fail. I'm gonna enjoy this win like any other and cheer em on that much harder come Saturday on the Island. If they disappoint, that's fine, but if they're going down, I'm going down w/ em, devoted and screaming at my choppy GameCenter feed. We won. Screw confidence, let's show a little bit of swagger, because no one's gonna humble us any more than we already have been. Go Sabs:yo:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought they went with someone from 97 Rock to pick the music tonight. Or at least popped "The Best Of AC/DC" into the sound system. :biglaugh:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I agree with jfb -- terrible play effort most of the night against a team coming off a hard game last night. There isn't much spark with this team. If not for some superior efforts from very few individuals tonight, they go down to another loss.

Great -

- Vanek. He's in the zone, even after Prust rocked him he just kept going. I personally thought his best play up until the goals was the hard backcheck late in the second that broke up an odd man rush.

Good -
- Ennis went from nothing to four goals in a hurry. Nice hit on Gorges too.
- Brennan didn't totally suck tonight. He may be catching up to the speed at this level, at least enough to not be a void out there.
- Miller dialing it in for the shootout.
- Pominville with his patented wrister glove-side for the GWG.
- Foligno bulling to the net more, keeping pucks alive around the cage and a good tone setting hit on Markov. Best game of the season for him.

Bad -

- Hey Hecht, that limp shoot in to get your line change and then the limp hook you took right after it? Yeah, that **** isn't a vet play. That's candy ass. Go back to the DEL.
- Handgrenades abound from most of them in the d-zone.
- Miller was shaky most of the night.

Ugly -

- Scott nearly grabbing White from the bench during his tiff with Ott.
- Getting down 4-2 to a team coming off a game last night? The effort sucked.
- Static five-on-threes? Classic Sabre PP tactics and yet again easily defended.

The two of them have quietly collected 9 and 7 points, respectively. Been a lot happier with their play as of late. They've been creating more pressure for sure.
This **** kills me. How many years has this (and gaining the zone 5 on 4) been an issue? Stopping a 5 on 3 isn't that difficult when you only have to focus on defending the cross crease pass or the completely obvious one timer from the point. Get someone else to coach that aspect of the PP. Hell, I'd just say scrap whatever they're trying and tell the players to freewheel with it. They have a good mix of playmaking, finishing, and size with hodgson, ennis, grigorenko, vanek, pominville, and foligno. Just cut them loose and see what happens. Can't be much worse than how they currently play 5 on 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad