Snap Shot Q's

mucker*

I'm not a novice, but the snap shot has always been a grey area.

I was reading before about how the snapshot, which when I played was the least stressed shot, nowadays is the most commonly used shot in the NHL.

Not only that but most of the time when you see a one timer, it's a snap.

I wanted to know

1) Is this true?

2) If so, why and has this always been the case or recently?
-I would suspect, if true, a snap shot is used most often because it has the accuracy of a wrist shot, the force of a snap shot, but minus the long wind up.

3) Are all one timers snap shots?

4) Is a snap shot basically a hybrid wrist and slap shot?
-A shot which has the force of a slap, but the accuracy of a wrister?

5) How exactly do you shoot it?
-Would you move your wrist as you would a wrist shot BUT no wind up?
-How do you get the power of a slap shot with the quickness and accurasy of a wrist?

6) Is it me or do a lot of you vets too have trouble with this concept?

Thanks.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I'm not a novice, but the snap shot has always been a grey area.

I was reading before about how the snapshot, which when I played was the least stressed shot, nowadays is the most commonly used shot in the NHL.

Not only that but most of the time when you see a one timer, it's a snap.

I wanted to know

1) Is this true?

2) If so, why and has this always been the case or recently?
-I would suspect, if true, a snap shot is used most often because it has the accuracy of a wrist shot, the force of a snap shot, but minus the long wind up.

3) Are all one timers snap shots?

4) Is a snap shot basically a hybrid wrist and slap shot?
-A shot which has the force of a slap, but the accuracy of a wrister?

5) How exactly do you shoot it?
-Would you move your wrist as you would a wrist shot BUT no wind up?
-How do you get the power of a slap shot with the quickness and accurasy of a wrist?

6) Is it me or do a lot of you vets too have trouble with this concept?

Thanks.

one timers are rarely snapshots...most players SLAP one timers.

a snap shot does not have the force of a slap shot...snap shots are
usually taken in stride on one leg..look for Joe Sakic vids on youtube, his snap shot is mental!

you snap your wrists to take it.

its you, vets dont have trouble with the concept

Last edited:

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
No time in the nhl to wind up and take a slapshot so they take snap shots( a bit less power than a slapshot, a bit less accuray than a wrist shot but much quicker to take)

ThatOneGuy*

Snapshot is such a ridiculous term, basically it has no meaning. There are three types of shots:

Slap shot
Wrist shot
One-timer

You can add in a backhander I guess but I consider that more of a deke then anything. All three shots are self explanatory and leave no room for the so called "Snap shot".

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Snapshot is such a ridiculous term, basically it has no meaning. There are three types of shots:

Slap shot
Wrist shot
One-timer

You can add in a backhander I guess but I consider that more of a deke then anything. All three shots are self explanatory and leave no room for the so called "Snap shot".

LOL. So what do you call a snapshot, taken after carrying the puck.

1. Slapshot (with a very short wind up?)
2. Wrist shot?
3. Onetimer (obviously not)

I won't comment on your opinion on backhands.

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Mar 18, 2007

Slap shot
Wrist shot
One-timer

A backhander is a shot, a snapshot is a shot, and a one-timer is not it's own shot. It is a play that uses a pass and any of the other shots(slap, wrist, snap, rarely backhander)
I take snap shots all the time, and not just on family vacations. It is an effective quick release, slap/wrist hybrid with a very short wind-up.
I shoot most of my pucks off of the heel and finf that is a great way to generate power and accuracy on a snapper. Bobby Carpenter was a premier snap shooter in his day, and of course Sakic.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
a good snap shot is like a faster abbreviated wrist shot. instead of the sweeping action of a wrist shot, you more or less whack the puck. it is an excellent tool if you can add it to your arsenal. i use it all the time.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Slap shot is a shot with a big backswing and the stick loses contact with the stick. It is the contact of the stick on the puck as the stick comes back through that makes the puck move.

Wrist shot is a shot with small or no backswing and the puck stays on the stick. The puck is "flung" off the stick blade almost frizbee like. The wrists roll through causing the puck to spin off the blade.

Snap shot is a shot with no back swing. Usually you pull the heal of the stick blade back and thensnap the heal through the puck. The toe of the blade is sort of the pivot. Does that make sense?

Backhand shot is the same as a wrist shot but reversed. The hand motion should be the same. The puck should roll off the stick blade.

A flip shot is what you see when you try to roof the puck from up close.

A back hand flip shot is the same thing as a flip shot, just reversed.

A one timer is a play, not a shot type. Normally, a one timer is a slap shot performed just as the puck gets to you. You don't stop the puck to prepare for your shot. It can also be a sweeping shot motion.

A deflection is simply redirecting the puck with your stick to a part of the net the goalie is not covering and can't react fast enough to keep up.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I love snap shots.

They work great in tight areas/breakaways, whereas wrist shots tend to be weaker and take time when winding up . I've found that I can roof snapshots alot easier than slapshots (then again I need to work on my slapshot)

Also, when the forwards on my team take shots at our goalie in pratice or pre-game, I usually work on my snapshot cause I can get elevation, and he expects a faster shot, and I can usually bury it.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Snap shot is a shot with no back swing. Usually you pull the heal of the stick blade back and thensnap the heal through the puck. The toe of the blade is sort of the pivot. Does that make sense?

I agree this is a form of snapshot, but a very short backswing, snap the heal, but then roll the wrists and follow through with the toe works better (harder and more accurate) IMO. Multi ways can work though, quick and deceptive are often as important as accurate and hard.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
a good snap shot is like a faster abbreviated wrist shot. instead of the sweeping action of a wrist shot, you more or less whack the puck. it is an excellent tool if you can add it to your arsenal. i use it all the time.

I agree, this is the shot with the quickest release. Its normally not as hard as a full blown wrist shot though, and generally wrist shots are a little more accurate. Its a great shot to surprise the goalie with.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I agree, this is the shot with the quickest release. Its normally not as hard as a full blown wrist shot though, and generally wrist shots are a little more accurate. Its a great shot to surprise the goalie with.
Yeah I agree with this. If your wrist shot isn't harder than your snapshot there's something wrong. It's the quick release that makes it so effective, goalies can't read it as well or get set for it and defensemen don't have time to get in the way/get their stick out to deflect it away.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
This is at a high level of play:

Wrist shot: slow to release, very accurate, very fast.
Snap shot: fast release, pretty accurate, slower than wrist shot.
Slap shot: takes time to set up, not extremely accurate, faster than wrist shot.

The snap shot is BY FAR the most used shot in hockey.

gick

Jul 21, 2007
MA
if you have the snap shot down, it should be faster than your wrist shot, but not as acurate. I am talking of the snap shot called the wrist snap. This is where you star like a wrist shot, except the puck is on the toe of the blade, not the heel, and you drag the puck back to the heel and snap through. In a slap snap, you take a wind like you would for a slap shot, but you do not bring your stick as far back, only about half as much as in a slap shot. The wrist snap is the most commonly used shot in hockey.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
The biggest advantage of the snapshot is that you can rip the puck if it's in front of you, normally if your stickhandling and go to take a wrister you have to get the puck to your side, where as a snap shot you just tee it off. My Wrister probably does have a lot more speed to it, but the snapshot is quicker and more deceptive and I find it to be much more successful.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
if you have the snap shot down, it should be faster than your wrist shot, but not as acurate. I am talking of the snap shot called the wrist snap. This is where you star like a wrist shot, except the puck is on the toe of the blade, not the heel, and you drag the puck back to the heel and snap through. In a slap snap, you take a wind like you would for a slap shot, but you do not bring your stick as far back, only about half as much as in a slap shot. The wrist snap is the most commonly used shot in hockey.

when you go half way up...its not a snap shot. it's a slap shot with less power.

a snap shot is simply a snap of the wrist, their is no other explantion for it.

gick

Jul 21, 2007
MA
it all depends on who you ask, some will have different answers. I learned snap shotss from a former division 1 hockey player.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
There are a lot of players that can switch from stickhandling to taking a wrist shot in a split second, so I wouldn't say that in all cases the wrist shot takes a long time to setup/take. You always see in shootouts where some players will be stickhandling and then have the puck off their stick before you can blink.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Uuugghh, A snap shot is a shot where the puck is on the blade(does matter, heel or toe) and you don't wind up(that's a slap shot) and you don't lean heavily on the stick(wrister). It's just a quick shot that is inbetween the slap shot and wrist shot... Very commonly it's taken off one foot or pulled in and shot quickly.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The biggest difference in a snap shot and the other forehand shots is a lack of a weight transfer.

In slap and wrist shots, your weight starts on your back foot and ends up on your front foot as you power through the shot. In a snap shot, your weight is already on your front foot and your throw your weight just further forward on that foot to take the shot.

Yes, the backswing and wrist motion are all slightly different, but the biggest difference in execution is the lack of weight transfer. At least, that's how I was taught.

For me, the snap shot is the easiest of the three shots because there's just less timing involved. Now, I'm not very good (which has a whole lot to do with it), but the snap shot takes the least set up, least control of where I am in my stride and least overall coordination of all the shots.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA

The shot (contact) portion look like what I know as a snap shot but there his no need for any of the drags.

The video for the one timer, look at the stick alone. Heel up etc. That is what I know as a snap shot.

Knitter, I don't disagree with you totally but there is a weight transfer forward. You don't go back, only forward.

Then of course, I don't have a great snap shot, maybe I am wrong :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad