Snakebitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Flyers’ are snakebitten and adding to management frustrations is that fans are staying away from Philly home games. The team hopes that both problems will be temporary.

Most around the team feel the attendance problem has to do with fans showing their frustration as a result of a cancelled season. “The league is aware of the issue and they’re taking a hard look at it as low crowds have affected most teams,†said the GM, however, I believe there is something more systemic at work.â€

The bigger problem with the team is scoring and wins. The Flyers have badly outplayed opponents averaging 35.5 shots per game (2nd in the league) and giving up 24.2 shots against (5th in the league). The team, who is 1-1-2, has scored 9 goals in 4 games for an average of 2.1 goals per game and has given up 8 goals or 2.0 per game. Besides ranking in the top half of the league in shots, they’re 11th in PP and 6th in the PK. You would think those stats would lend itself to more wins.

“We have players who can put the puck in the net. Arnott and Gagne have averaged over 5 shots a game each with only a goal to show amongst them, that’s 1 goal per 40 shots from our top 2 scorers,†explained coach Lemaire. “A couple of our guys are producing, Fish already has 3 goals, Mellamby 2 and Markov has 2 from the backend, but we need Whit, Arnott and Gagne to produce.â€

“We’re a little frustrated but it’s early. I know I’ve been holding the stick a little tight lately. Hopefully the goal last night will give me the lift I need to put the puck in the net more often,†explained Gagne.

At the beginning of the season there was a lot of skepticism towards Lemaire and whether he could adjust his coaching style to the new, free wheeling NHL. Although the goals have not materialized, the team has put a lot of offensive pressure on opponents, now they have to show that all that pressure can result in goals and wins.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I feel for you guys, really I do.

(Hey, my team has sucked for 3 years and I am off to a good start. I'm talking some trash goddamit before my team collapses!)

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
kasper11 said:

(Hey, my team has sucked for 3 years and I am off to a good start. I'm talking some trash goddamit before my team collapses!)

It will start on Thursday when your Devils face the Islanders. :biglaugh:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
kasper11 said:

A shadowy figure places a call to Tonya Harding:

"Yes, Kovalchuk... either is fine, both would be preferrable... half now, half upon completion..." :innocent:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You have to have exciting players to fill the seats, and unfortunately for the Flyers, with no 80+ rated players and a Jacques Lemaire coached team, your marketing team will have it's hands full to turn things around.

I smell a fire-sale.

HFNHL Red Wings

I have just the opposite problem, I can't stop anyone from scoring.
My team overall has above average DF ratings yet I'm being outshot everygame and have a horrible sav%. I currently have the league worst 4.33GAA but my guys who are only mediocre scorers are doing a decent job scoring (6-6 score vs. Jersey yesterday). I'm baffled as to what to do atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->