Snag Alert...CBA not as close as some think??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiavsfan

From Today's LA Times

Yet major issues remain. A source familiar with the negotiations said the two sides have recently "butted heads" over entry-level contracts and buyouts of existing contracts.

"They are working toward a new CBA," player agent Ron Salcer said. "It's going to be very lengthy and very complex, and it's going to take a long time to sift through it all. It's certainly going to change the way agents approach their business."

There are concerns that players might not ratify the deal presented by the NHLPA's executive committee. Another prominent player agent said that only a few of the players he has talked to said they would ratify a CBA that includes the provisions that have been reported.

The agent, though, said, "I think when it comes down to it, and they have it in front of them, they will change their minds."

LA TImes

Maybe things aren't "going as well" (sorry I was yelled at for putting kosher down) as people think

Last edited:

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
There's that crazy LA media. One source saying the lockout is over and another saying it will go on and the season may not start on time. And people said the media in LA doesn't care about hockey.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And people run around here wondering why I quell people's optimism. This is why.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'm not sure i find a players agent terribly reliable. there could very easily be issues of that nature but coming from a partisan source like a players agent, how do we know how big those issues are? it wouldn't surprise me at all to find agents still trying to work some angles with the whole thing and to not be terribly happy at the fact they're going to be making less bank in the "new NHL"

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Buy outs might be a serious point of contention, but, at this point, it's hard to imagine that "entry level contracts" would be a serious snag.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
chiavsfan said:
From Today's LA Times

LA TImes

Maybe things aren't as kosher as people think

You obviously don't know what the term kosher means. It makes no sense the way you are using it.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Thats a pile of BS, I am sure a LA paper will be the media outlet for the news leaks. If there was a snag, the reporter from New York (Larry Brooks) would get the scoop.

I do believe both sides are idiots for letting this go so long. Get it done already.

I would not be shocked to see Mid July race by and still no CBA then the season will start to be delayed IMO.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
barnburner said:
Buy outs might be a serious point of contention, but, at this point, it's hard to imagine that "entry level contracts" would be a serious snag.

I agree, Pro sports unions rarely look out for the little guy, and especially when the little guy is not even a member of the Union yet. So I can't see a deal being held up long over entry level contracts

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Sounds like a ticked of agent whining about the rumoured CBA....total BS. Some Media guys should be fired when this thing ends.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mr.Al Strachan thinks the opposite

AS THE negotiations between the National Hockey League and its players' association drag on, day after day, week after week, month after month, fans wonder what can be taking them so long.

Especially when it is accepted that both sides have agreed to agree on the basic concepts of a deal.

In simple terms, it's the complexity of the document.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/06/22/1099254-sun.html

If you like reading Strachan cry,read the column

chiavsfan

My favorite quote from the article

After all, the over-riding reason that was the backbone of the owners' lockout has not disappeared. The players provided the league with a perfectly workable system back on Dec. 9 and even offered to roll back salaries to the level that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had demanded. But Bettman turned down that offer for the simple reason that he couldn't trust the owners to use common sense.

All I can say is :biglaugh:

WC Handy*

Reason #1245 why sports journalists should leave the financial aspects of the game to people who write for the Business section.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
chiavsfan said:
My favorite quote from the article

All I can say is :biglaugh:

actually it was a perfectly workable system...needed tweaking and harsher penalties, but it was similar to the system the NBA runs if i'm not mistaken, and that is a workable system.

mayhaps you should argue that it wasn't a workable system for the NHL (which could be debatable). or maybe i should just stop spoiling for a fight :)

chiavsfan

Levitate said:
actually it was a perfectly workable system...needed tweaking and harsher penalties, but it was similar to the system the NBA runs if i'm not mistaken, and that is a workable system.

mayhaps you should argue that it wasn't a workable system for the NHL (which could be debatable). or maybe i should just stop spoiling for a fight :)

At this point, the fights...like the CBA negotiations are getting old and repetitive. I think we all need some new things to talk about

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
jericholic19 said:
wow, this is some juicy stuff. however, we've been warned there could be some hitches along the way and this is no surprise.
That's for sure .. We really never have known where the majority of the players stand on this .. We here a few quotes from a few select players but that does not guarantee that they speak for the majority ..

For any deal to be ratified (voted on) then you are going to need 350 + players saying yes to the new CBA ..

With all the rumours flying around like dispersal drafts , buyouts and restructuring requests in addition to 24%, that can't sit well with ALL players and some are hardliners just like owners ..

I wonder if Goodenow still has a strong enough following that this could happen as the paper suggests ??

If it didn't get accepted by the players I would imagine that the NHL would then declare an IMPASSE and put this exact document in as its CBA and move on to implementation with replacement players ..

Not likely to unfold that way but it could ...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
barnburner said:
Entry level contracts when speaking of players like Crosby and Ovechkin they could.

Might need special exceptions for special players or they may not start in the NHL as a result and that would be a shame ..

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The Messenger said:
If it didn't get accepted by the players I would imagine that the NHL would then declare an IMPASSE and put this exact document in as its CBA and move on to implementation with replacement players ..
Or a totally different one that the players like even less?

DETROIT SKABOY

Jul 27, 2004
Livonia Michigan
i would think it is more positive with the hawks and ducks gm signings
i mean we really havent seen any kind of activity like this for a while
i think it is a sign of more to come like the cba getting done

I am Jack's Fish

For what it is worth, I spoke to a former NHL GM the other day and he basically told me that he is just waiting for them to announce the CBA at this point. He wouldnt say if it was done, but he was curious as to what was the hold-up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:

Not likely to unfold that way but it could ...

I highly doubt they would acheive impasse at this point. They have come this far, they would get laughed at by the labor board if they tried this. Espically of both sides of the hierarchy agreed to this. The only option at this point is to get the deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad