Smyth and Brewer don't deserve to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
I still personally cant believe people are questioning Brewer's selection when someone like Regehr made it. One solid run does not equal a known quantity. So far he's been timid and seems to be in over his head. He did have a very physical game last night, but currently he's too one-dimensional.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
windowlicker said:
So far he's been timid and seems to be in over his head. He did have a very physical game last night, but currently he's too one-dimensional.
You are the only one who is having a problem with Robyn Regehr's game at the World Cup. Brian Burke, Steve Yzerman etc have all been raving about the game he is playing. He is playing very very well on the #1 pairing with Scott Niedermayer.

But nice try.

Mountain Dude

MrMastodonFarm said:
Great arguement. :shakehead

Your argument is way more stupid than his counter argument.

There is no way that one persons approval would be able to get a player on this team. There are about 6 hockey legends putting this team together, take your head out of your ass.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I know Oiler fans who will even admit that the reason Brewer was named to the team in 2002 is because Lowe wanted one of his young players on the team. Just admit it and move on, its no big deal.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
HemskyFreak83 said:
i take it Brewer is the only players who makes mistakes on Team Canada
not Foote, Hannan, Boumeester, Niedemeyer, and Regehr

yeah Brewer really must have been the only one who makes mistake to have stats like this

tied for 8th in team canada scoring with Thornton, Foote, Gagne, and Heatley
tied with Foote for scoring among Team canada dmen
3rd in team canada +/-
2nd in +/- for team canada dmen

tied for 6th in tournament scoring among dmen
tied for 8th in +/- among all players
tied for 3rd among all dmen for +/-

leaf fans are right they should have picked McCabe

God, this thread has turned ridiculous. Its a good thing Brewer wasn’t the dman that slid into Brodeur, or the doughnuts on here would be calling for his head.

Luckily, the people who actually know hockey understand Brewers role on the national team. Some people are going to argue no matter what stats you show them, so let them stick to their stubborn opinions. Gretzky and company, as well as real Canadian hockey fans, know that Brewer has a role on this team and he is playing it perfectly. Everyone on this team is playing his role perfectly.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
You are the only one who is having a problem with Robyn Regehr's game at the World Cup. Brian Burke, Steve Yzerman etc have all been raving about the game he is playing. He is playing very very well on the #1 pairing with Scott Niedermayer.

But nice try.

Add me to the list, I'm not seeing the hype either.

When you don't expect much from a player, such as in this case with Regehr where he is new to the program and not proven when compared to the more established players, then it is easy to say that he is doing alright. It doesn't mean he is necessarily that great, it just suggests that expectations may have been low coming in.

Look at Bouwmeester, the guy has played great. But that great play is framed in the context of - for a twenty year old with very little experience. Just because he has been singled out, it doesn't mean that he has played better than the other 5.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Cawz said:
. Gretzky and company, as well as real Canadian hockey fans, know that Brewer has a role on this team and he is playing it perfectly. Everyone on this team is playing his role perfectly.
Brewer is playing well, which is suprising. His inconsistant play during the regular season shouldn't have put him on this team however. But good on him raising his game to this level.

Although most Oiler fans know it will just drop again anyways.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

But nice try.

Im sorry, but from the television feed I saw of Regehr representing Team Canada throughout this tournament, he has not been perfect. Secondly, it can be argued that the Nieds/Regehr pairing is the #1 pairing, but for some reason Quinn keeps sending out the Foote/Brewer pairing against the other teams top lines over & over & over again. Thirdly, its obvious from what you say that the Oiler fans you speak of are either imaginary or not real fans.

And my fourth point stands: Regehr is too one-dimensional. He's physical & his positioning has improved vastly, but he's still too one-dimensional for this team.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Go to the Oilers board and they say Regehr is the weakest link on the blueline. That's the way I guess, non-Oilers fans think Brewer is the weakest link, Oilers fans need to pick someone, how about the Flames player.

:lol Priceless.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
windowlicker said:
Im sorry, but from the television feed I saw of Regehr representing Team Canada throughout this tournament, he has not been perfect. Secondly, it can be argued that the Nieds/Regehr pairing is the #1 pairing, but for some reason Quinn keeps sending out the Foote/Brewer pairing against the other teams top lines over & over & over again. Thirdly, its obvious from what you say that the Oiler fans you speak of are either imaginary or not real fans.

And my fourth point stands: Regehr is too one-dimensional. He's physical & his positioning has improved vastly, but he's still too one-dimensional for this team.

Regehr is too one-dimensional. At least he is very good at something. Brewer is mediocre offensively and defensively.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
windowlicker said:
You act like that is a bad thing. Adam Foote is one has dimention, a pretty damn good one. Regehr is the same.

Again, nice try.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Garfield said:
Go to the Oilers board and they say Regehr is the weakest link on the blueline. That's the way I guess, non-Oilers fans think Brewer is the weakest link, Oilers fans need to pick someone, how about the Flames player.

Actually an Oiler fan posted saying Brewer was the weakest link. What the hell are you talking about?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Garfield said:
That's the way I guess, non-Oilers fans think Brewer is the weakest link,

It only seems to be you and your buddy. All the other people that I've seen on here seem happy with Brewer. Its just you and buddy that keep harping on it. How about just stop dissing team Canada players, then people will stop defending him and this juvinile thread can be finished with.

Some people just have to find the negative in things. Let it go.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
windowlicker said:
Thats almost a sentence.

How is Adam Foote "one dimensional" ?

Have you seen Adam Footes offensive numbers?

Foote's offensive numbers ?? :lol

If he has any its a result of playing in Colorado. He wouldn't get 20 pts in Edmonton.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Cawz said:
It only seems to be you and your buddy. All the other people that I've seen on here seem happy with Brewer. Its just you and buddy that keep harping on it. How about just stop dissing team Canada players, then people will stop defending him and this juvinile thread can be finished with.

Some people just have to find the negative in things. Let it go.

You have the choice to let it go as well. I'm happy with Brewer but I still think he's the worst D-man on the team.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
windowlicker said:
Thats almost a sentence.

How is Adam Foote "one dimensional" ?

Have you seen Adam Footes offensive numbers?
Thats almost an arguement.

Up until 3 years ago Adam Foote had a career high of 21 points. Then he got 27, 31, and 30 points last year, yes he is still pretty one-dimensional. You are the only one who would say he is offensive.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Cawz said:
It only seems to be you and your buddy. All the other people that I've seen on here seem happy with Brewer..
Sorry, what?

You are going to have to find a link to where I stated I was unhappy with Brewer's play in the World Cup. I have said about 2 or 3 times in this thread that Brewer has played well.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Garfield said:
Foote's offensive numbers ?? :lol

If he has any its a result of playing in Colorado. He wouldn't get 20 pts in Edmonton.

Yes, Adam Foote does have some offensive numbers. 234 points in 799 games. :shakehead

(Thats it. Im gonna take my own advice and stop arguing with 14 year olds over childish topics. Over. Out.)

IcE ColD

Feb 2, 2004
Vieux Port Inc.
Why are you arguing about the weakest link on the blue line?

So far, I think that we have the best D-men squad of the World Cup... stop whining, we haven't lost so far :shakehead

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Sorry, what?

You are going to have to find a link to where I stated I was unhappy with Brewer's play in the World Cup. I have said about 2 or 3 times in this thread that Brewer has played well.

They can't understand the fact that we feel Brewer is playing well but still believe he should not have been chosen.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Garfield said:

No I am an Oiler fan and my pick would be Hannan to sit if Redden comes back. But I do agree that Brewer has played really well and Regher has been ok. Regher does seem pretty tentative at times.

He did play well last game though, of course everyone played well last game...

I think Regher's problem is just a lack of XP, he'll get over it, he is a good d-man.

But all the Brewer bashing I don't get. He has played well positionally, gotten some points, has many big hits that didn't leave him out of position (cough,cough, Jovo, cough,cough) and has recently earned PP time to go with his PK time he has had from the start.

Anyone who thinks Brewer doesn't belong there is watching everything he does with a microscope looking for errors. And to those people I say try doing that with any player. No one is perfect and mistakes will happen. Given the fact that Brewer/Foote have played against all the top lines and are PKers are well, the fact that they have only been on the ice for 1 goal against is remarkable. At least I have only seen them on the ice for 1 goal against, Am I wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad