Smyth and Brewer don't deserve to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
You cant sit there and tell me that Quinn/Gretzky thought Brewer was better than Stevens/Redden/Sydor etc. at the time of the Salt Lake selections. I know for a fact that Gretzky said they were looking to get at least one young guy on the team for developement. It happened to be Brewer, and you can take it to the bank that Lowe put in a good word.

ur an idiot, u people do realise that brewer is on the #1 pairing and Lowe or Gretzky don't make that decision, that is Pat Quinn. Also i heard on a radio that Team Canada doesn't hold Jovo ahead of Brewer and that Jovo almost got scratched from game 1, that being said obviously jovo is a great d man that deserves to be there but so does brewer. Even when Blake and Pronger were healthy they were expecting Brewer to be a top 6 guy .The Heatly Vinny and Smyth line has also been the most consistant in the tournament even though the Richards line has more points. If i could change one thing i would Acuoin in there over Hannen

GTF

Feb 28, 2004
oilerlova said:
ur an idiot, u people do realise that brewer is on the #1 pairing and Lowe or Gretzky don't make that decision, that is Pat Quinn. Also i heard on a radio that Team Canada doesn't hold Jovo ahead of Brewer and that Jovo almost got scratched from game 1, that being said obviously jovo is a great d man that deserves to be there but so does brewer. Even when Blake and Pronger were healthy they were expecting Brewer to be a top 6 guy .The Heatly Vinny and Smyth line has also been the most consistant in the tournament even though the Richards line has more points. If i could change one thing i would Acuoin in there over Hannen
Exactly! Canada was very close to benching Jovonovski that first game (i wonder if he kind of wishes they did), but decided to go with him due to his experience. Everyone talks about Brewer being overrated. What about Jovo? The only thing he's consistent at is coughing up the puck. He's not a very smart player.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
oilerlova said:

Enjoy your time on the board's while it lasts if you're going to go off calling people ''idiots''. It's my opinion that Brewer was only selected to this team because of his role (while limited) at Salt Lake. It's also my opinion that Brewer made Salt Lake in the first place because Kevin Lowe has a big-time say in the player management. You cant honestly sit there and tell me Brewer was better than Scott Stevens in 2002, because everyone alive knows that just isn't true. Brewer on the top pairing? :joker: So I guess Quinn would rather put Brewer on the ''top pairing'' over Niedermayer. It's clear what the coaching staff is doing here, they're evening out the d-pairings.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
monster_bertuzzi said:
Enjoy your time on the board's while it lasts if you're going to go off calling people ''idiots''. It's my opinion that Brewer was only selected to this team because of his role (while limited) at Salt Lake. It's also my opinion that Brewer made Salt Lake in the first place because Kevin Lowe has a big-time say in the player management. You cant honestly sit there and tell me Brewer was better than Scott Stevens in 2002, because everyone alive knows that just isn't true. Brewer on the top pairing? :joker: So I guess Quinn would rather put Brewer on the ''top pairing'' over Niedermayer. It's clear what the coaching staff is doing here, they're evening out the d-pairings.

just wanted to say one thing, Brewer got picked in Salt Lake for the same reason J-Bo got picked for the WC
a young promising defensemen with a lot of potential iis hard to resist

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:

well obviously that puts him ahead of regher hannen bowmester, and Pat Quinn is there and Mcabe didn't make it so to say the Brewer is there becasue of lowe is just wrong. I think the Brewer Foote pairing has been the best pairing for Canada that does not mean i am saying he is better then neidemeyer but so far brewer foote has been better then regher neidemeyer

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
oilerlova said:
ur an idiot, u people do realise that brewer is on the #1 pairing and Lowe or Gretzky don't make that decision, that is Pat Quinn.

You think Brewer/Foote is the #1 pairing. I'd argue that Niedermayer/Regehr is the #1 pairing. Anyway, it doesn't matter because we know Brewer is not the #2 D-man on the team.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
oilerlova said:
well obviously that puts him ahead of regher hannen bowmester, and Pat Quinn is there and Mcabe didn't make it so to say the Brewer is there becasue of lowe is just wrong. I think the Brewer Foote pairing has been the best pairing for Canada that does not mean i am saying he is better then neidemeyer but so far brewer foote has been better then regher neidemeyer

In your opinion. In mine, Niedermayer/Regehr has been the better pairing.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
oilerlova said:

McCabe didn't make it because of his poor showing against the Flyers and the fact that he wasn't on the 02' Salt Lake squad. Apparenty ''International experience'' means the world to Team Canada's management. If it didn't, Gagne and Brewer wouldn't be on this team, simple as that.

Garfield is right, Niedermayer/Regehr is the top pairing BTW.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
all i can say is i don't understand u guys, i will be on the record for saying this if Brewer doesn't deserve to be in the top 6 then jovo is border line as well, however i know u canuck guys would jump on me if i were to say that jovo is borderline to making the team so we oiler fans can jump on u guys and yes obviously neidemeyer is better then brewer. No Canadian out there can replace brewer except for Acuoin period sry leaf fans

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Why even bother arguing anything on here. "He's better than him. He does not belong to be there. This player should have made it."

Some definitive things to remember when engaging other posters in regards to players and/or player performances at HFBoards:

a) A homer is a homer is a homer.

b) When someone thinks they are right, they know they are right.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Niedermayer/Regehr may be more talented than Foote/Brewer.
They may even get more toi. :dunno: no stats to confirm or disprove
But, Foote is the guy that Quinn puts out against the opposing top line.
And, Brewer is the guy that Quinn partners with Foote.
Even with the injuries, Quinn didn't mess with this pairing.
Go figure.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
The better player does not necessarily have to be on the team. I'm sure they could have built the team with "better" players but it may not have been the best team. Would you rather have a team made up of supposedly "better" players who get flushed down the toilet because they don't fit together or a team who wins gold medals?

The suits know these players a heck of a lot better than any of us. They know who will fit in and who won't. They know the style of play they want and which players are can deliver it. If they lose then we can all sit here and argue for months about who should have or should'nt have been on the team. But so far, whatever they did seems to have worked out just fine. If we win, I couldn't care less who they have on the team and how they went about puttting it together, and it will be nice to know that everyone contributed and stepped up to the challenge.

Go Canada Go!
Golf Slovaks Golf!

Vomiting Kermit*

I'm glad to see Brewer and Smyth playing well. :)

And in all fairness to Brewer on the Slovakian goal, his clearing attempt hit Lecavalier in the skate and went to a Slovak, which resulted in a goal a few seconds later.

Last edited by a moderator:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
York16 said:
I'm glad to see Brewer and Smyth playing well. :)

And in all fairness to Brewer on the Slovakian goal, his clearing attempt hit Lecavlier in the skate and went to a Slovak, which resulted in a goal a few seconds later.

He should try not to hit skates with clearing attempts. You act like its Lecavalier's fault for skating by.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
IceDragoon said:
Even with the injuries, Quinn didn't mess with this pairing.
Go figure.
LOL, what is your point?

Even with the injuries, Quinn hasn't messed with the pairing of Niedermayer or Regehr. In fact the only pairing he did "mess" with was anyone involving injuries. So saying Foote and Brewer have stuck together doesn't mean much.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
LOL, what is your point?

Even with the injuries, Quinn hasn't messed with the pairing of Niedermayer or Regehr. In fact the only pairing he did "mess" with was anyone involving injuries. So saying Foote and Brewer have stuck together doesn't mean much.

no but saying they are out there against the top lines sure does, also u misunderstood him point i think. I think he was trying to say that this has been the top shut down pairing and they have done such a good job that quinn didn't mess with it. 3 goals against in 4 games i am sorry but with the ice time that brewer is getting he can't be that bad if the oppisition can't score

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
oilerlova said:
3 goals against in 4 games i am sorry but with the ice time that brewer is getting he can't be that bad if the oppisition can't score

He's playing along side one of the best defensive defenceman in the game and he has the best goaltender in the world on his side. Jason Doig could be paired with Foote and look good....

Burnaby_Joe*

You Canuck fans are still arguing that Brewer made the team? :lol He DESERVES to be on the team. Maybe they should of picked up that Sopel character huh?

The Rage

monster_bertuzzi said:
He's playing along side one of the best defensive defenceman in the game and he has the best goaltender in the world on his side. Jason Doig could be paired with Foote and look good....

Foote and Brodeur, as good as they are, aren't gods. We're not talking about Borque and Hasek in their prime. The fact is, Brewer plays the tough shutdown minutes and is getting the job done. Do you think Foote and Brodeur can shut down the best players in the game by themselves ?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Brewer impressed me with his first few games, especially the exhibition. I don't get to see him play very much, so I don't know what his flaws are, but he obviously hasn't been demonstrating them very much in this World Cup. If nothing else, we can just ask for him to be a solid defensive player, but he is chipping in as well with 2 points in 4 games. Not to mention, only Iginla and Foote have higher +/- than Brewer (+/- is usually a useless statistic, but its only use in my opinion is in situations like this - short-term measurements among team mates with similar playing time).

Smyth, it's ridiculous to state that Smyth doesn't belong here. He has a bigger heart and more pride than anyone else on the team, and that's saying something. He gives everything he's got every game and we couldn't ask for anything more.

The only selection I disliked (other than the obvious omission of Todd Bertuzzi) was Maltby. We can't blame them though - at the time, the Maltby-Draper combo looked promising, but in hindsight it was a bad choice.

I wish Canada would give Marleau a shot at a game one of these days. Maybe sit Brad Richards or Simon Gagne for Marleau, if he's able to switch to wing. Who knows, maybe he's just playing poorly in practice or something.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
LOL, what is your point?

I thought I saw Regehr out there with Redden, at times, before his "upper body" injury.
I guess they could have been part way thru a line change.
If so... my bad.

btw -

Anyone else notice that Brewer and Richards were on the point, during the PP, when we scored our first goal, tonite? and then again, later.
I thought it was a bad change, then that someone (Brew/coach?) had screwed up and started yelling at the TV for him to get off the ice and get Nieds out there.
Then Brew sent a nice pass to Vinnie Lac... :D

Brewer gets 2 assists and Smytty gets a goal, in a must win game.
Not bad, at all...

This team is so much more than the accumulation of it's players. :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->