Smyth and Brewer don't deserve to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

senskickass12

Jun 19, 2004
Westcoasthabsfan said:
I am just happy that McCabe isnt on the team because he is really OVERRATED... people in TO think he is a future NORRIS TROPHY winner.... now thats funny

:lol:

I'm not so sure McCabe will become a Norris Trophy winner with Pronger, Niedermayer, Chara, and Lidstrom still around and many up and coming young defencemen However it's not as far fetched as some may think for him to win it. Lidstrom had a bit of an off year by his standards this year and finished 5th in Norris voting while McCabe finished 4th. I'm in no way a McCabe fan but he's not as bad as his playoff series against the Flyers that everyone remembers. What surprises me is that Aucoin has not even been considered by the team. I'm not saying Brewer doesn't deserve to be on the team or McCabe should be in ahead of him because Brewer has played very solid so far in this tournament and receives a lot of undeserved bashing but every team has a whipping boy and it appears it's him for Team Canada. Smyth for sure belongs on the team and in the line up he's answered for Canada every time he's been called upon.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Joey24 said:
You don't know the first thing about Bryan McCabe. Couldn't expect much more from a guy who is still sulking about his team getting beat out of the playoffs 4 times out of the last 5 by none other then guess who. You have no Idea on Bryan McCabe maybe if you had a half a clue your self you could reply with a logical post but I guess it could be expected since I took a few minutes to look over a few other posts you made and guess what they were not much better then this one. Keep up the good work bub.
I've seen mccabe quite a bit and frankly I could'nt care less about him. I think it is you that has to look at him with an unbiased eye instead of through that blue and white haze. The man is stupid. He says stupid things and he plays stupid. He's at best an average defensman on the defensive side. The only reason he gets so much press coverage is because he puts up points. Last I looked a defenseman was supposed to play defense first. And anyway, what is your explanation (excuse) for why he isn't on the team and didn't make it as a back-up?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Kickabrat said:
I've seen mccabe quite a bit and frankly I could'nt care less about him. I think it is you that has to look at him with an unbiased eye instead of through that blue and white haze. The man is stupid. He says stupid things and he plays stupid. He's at best an average defensman on the defensive side. The only reason he gets so much press coverage is because he puts up points. Last I looked a defenseman was supposed to play defense first. And anyway, what is your explanation (excuse) for why he isn't on the team and didn't make it as a back-up?

McCabe was a +22 and only had 86 pim in 75 games last year how does that give your claim any kind of justice? McCabe is a loose cannon and doesnt have any kind of head for the game. That right there is the Ottawa fan comming out in you maybe if you could see past what ever hate you have for the guy you would be able to see that McCabe is much better then an avrage defensive defenseman you say to me to see past my blue and white haze all I have to say to you is get past being a biost Ottawa Senators fan and maybe you'll gain a bit of credibility in this discussion. For your question of why isn't he on the team well I guess that's why I have posted about it because I really can't figure it out along with a few others. Hey I understand some people not wanting to post about it because I do agree some of the young guys that have came up have played well and that is the main reason the press has not been all over the selection thus far. I read in a post that if Quinn didn't pick McCabe then he really doesnt belong on the team if your own coach does not want you but do you really think if Quinn had a hand in picking this team that there would be so many young guys? No Gretzky and co did all the choosing and told Quinn to coach and thats about all Quinn was brought in for was to coach he may have a hand bringing in someone for a Injury replacement but as for the picking of this team Quinn had limited (extreamly limited) imput as to what players were going to be coached by him.

Last edited:

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Joey24 said:
I read in a post that if Quinn didn't pick McCabe then he really doesnt belong on the team if your own coach does not want you but do you really think if Quinn had a hand in picking this team that there would be so many young guys? No Gretzky and co did all the choosing and told Quinn to coach and thats about all Quinn was brought in for was to coach he may have a hand bringing in someone for a Injury replacement but as for the picking of this team Quinn had limited (extreamly limited) imput as to what players were going to be coached by him.
I will agree to disagree with you on the first part of your answer. For my money, mcacabe doesn't make my top ten D, if that's not what you believe. meh.

Now as for the above. Let me get this straight. You're saying Quinn had no hand in the decisions? Is this why all the coaches met at the all-star break and at least on two other occasions (not counting all the phone calls I'm sure they had) with Gretzky & co. to discuss the roster? Do you know of any coach that has no input on the players on his team? You don't think Quinn pushed for mccabe to be on the team? I suppose Martin had no influence in getting Redden on the team.

If they brought in Quinn to "only" coach as you say, then I guess the Team Canada heads don't value what Quinn thinks, and if that is the case why on earth would Quinn take the job? Like I said, keep looking through that blue & white haze if it lets you justify those makemelaff dreams of yours. I hate the laffs and make no bones about it, but i don't hate the laff players. I have never said anything bad (and actually said good things) about Sundin, Mogilny, Nieuwndyk, Leetch etc. and I actually think thy're great players, but bottom line, mccabe is not good enough to be on Team Canada and if he was he would be, ESPECIALLY if the head coach is his own team coach.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Smyth's first goal was awesome in my opinion...

Smyth is on the team because he played so much international games and he has lot of leadership ...

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Gaborik was runng circles around the Canadian's D. Was Brewer on the ice for any of Gaborik's chances?

Did Brewer cough up the puck leading directly to Martin Cibak's goal?

Look Chef, Brewer's a solid defenceman who at times gets burned by sneaky quick forwards. He doesn't belong on team Canada, simple as that. Brian McCabe, Adrian Aucoin, Sheldon Souray, Scott Hannan (dont forget Brewer was named to the original team, Hannan was a fill-in) Darryl Sydor--Just some of the defenceman that are better than Brewer who most likely weren't considered by the biased-Salt Lake hangover management team lead by Kevin Lowe.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
Kevin Lowe part of the management staff. Enough said.
Well then how come Lowe doesn't getting any credit for putting together the rest of the team? Gretzky and Quinn have said they wanted Brewer as much as Lowe did. I didn't realize Lowe made the final decisions, though.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seachd said:
Well then how come Lowe doesn't getting any credit for putting together the rest of the team? Gretzky and Quinn have said they wanted Brewer as much as Lowe did. I didn't realize Lowe made the final decisions, though.

I find it hard to believe that both Gretzky and Quinn thought Brewer was better than the players I mentioned.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
I find it hard to believe that both Gretzky and Quinn thought Brewer was better than the players I mentioned.

Really? Cause after the names were anounced, Gretz went on a long rant of how good he things Brewer is and how he was likely a top 4 guy for them.

You didn't hear any of that? It was all over the news and this board...

Ironchef Chris Wok*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Did Brewer cough up the puck leading directly to Martin Cibak's goal?

Yes he did. And I did mention it.

I thought he was great at Salt Lake and against the Americans this week. He was a physical force.

I agree that the Gaboriks and Hejduks might burn him a little. But they burn a lot of other defenseman in the league.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
s7ark said:
Really? Cause after the names were anounced, Gretz went on a long rant of how good he things Brewer is and how he was likely a top 4 guy for them.

You didn't hear any of that? It was all over the news and this board...

some people go dewf or blind at times like that

anyways Brewer is is a top 4 d-men on Canada right now (not b4 the injuries i mean now), with Blake, Pronger, Jovo, and Redden gone

Brewer and Regehr are good no. 3/4 defensemen they both play with experience players, they can learn from, especially Brewer with Foote.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
All of the dmen mentioned in these posts are worthy imo. Anyone who thinks McCabe isn't a top drawer player needs to give their head a shake, and anyone who thinks Eric Brewer doesn't bring anything to the table is being contrary. They're ALL good.

The problem becomes how to get the number down. I can't honestly say the dmen surprised me in terms of the players they chose, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they'd taken Hannan over Brewer. At all.

And here's another thing: Brewer fans like me and McCabe fans better get used to our guys getting called after that kid Bouwmeester. He's been touched by a higher power. Absolute gold, and a couple of years from now he'll be silly good.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
lowetide said:
All of the dmen mentioned in these posts are worthy imo. Anyone who thinks McCabe isn't a top drawer player needs to give their head a shake, and anyone who thinks Eric Brewer doesn't bring anything to the table is being contrary. They're ALL good.
My arguments on mccabe stand. If he didn't make the top 8 for Canada, and there are a few other pretty good dmen on the other teams (Lidstrom, Leetch Chara, not to mention Pronger, Blake, Stevens). IMO these guys are all better than mccabe, so that means at best he's top 15 in the league on my list. Does that make him top drawer? fine, but if you watched the Russia / Canada game you saw Gonchar get burned in much the same way mccabe gets burned. I still contend that for Dmen, defense comes first. Gonchar/mccabe are offensive dmen who while its great to get points from what happens if your goalie is of lower calibre, say like oh I don't know, maybe Trevor Kidd?

lowetide said:
And here's another thing: Brewer fans like me and McCabe fans better get used to our guys getting called after that kid Bouwmeester. He's been touched by a higher power. Absolute gold, and a couple of years from now he'll be silly good.
Absolutely true. Dmen aren't supposed to get real good until around 25-27, and he's playing like this at 20. Yowsa.

Mountain Dude

monster_bertuzzi said:
Kevin Lowe part of the management staff. Enough said.

And Quinn was also part of the selection squad, whats your point?

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
This is a clear case of...
"The whole is better than the sum of the parts."

btw - Did anyone catch the item/interview with Adam Foote, a couple of days ago on Sportsnet (I think).
sorry - couldn't find anything on their site to link.
It was said that his role is to shut down the top (1a) line of each opponent.
Would anyone care to tell me his D-partner?
You know, the other guy who's out there against the world's 1a lines.

I'll admit that I was shaking my head when he was chosen for the Olympics.
But, Brewer has proven himself to have cool feet in international tournament play.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Kickabrat said:
I still contend that for Dmen, defense comes first. Gonchar/mccabe are offensive dmen who while its great to get points from what happens if your goalie is of lower calibre, say like oh I don't know, maybe Trevor Kidd?
I don't usually put much stock in +/- but since some of you have brought it up as conclusive evidence that mccabe's +22 proves what a good defensive Dman he is, I went and checked the facts to back up what I said above.

In 24 games he played with Kidd and Telquist his +/- was 0. In the the other 51 games he played with Belfour he was +22. I wonder if Belfour would have got a piece of any bonus if mccabe actually won the Norris? So with, mmmm let's call it average goaltending, mccabe's +/- is zero, so he gets you a point for every point he gives up, pretty average IMO. Put him with an elite goalie and WOW all of a sudden what a great defensive defenseman he becomes.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Joey24 said:
You show me in any way of form a logical reason McCabe is over rated? Oh and with the play McCabe is capable of why wouldn't we feel he has a shot at a Norris trophy in the future what I would like to know is how is that so funny Mr Montreal...

Because nobody else puts him on such a high pedestal that Leaf fans do... The Leaf fans seem to think all their players are better than they really are...

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Westcoasthabsfan said:
Because nobody else puts him on such a high pedestal that Leaf fans do... The Leaf fans seem to think all their players are better than they really are...
Where did you get that notion from. I hope its not from the Mike Palmeteer for HOF campaigners.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
And Quinn was also part of the selection squad, whats your point?

You cant sit there and tell me that Quinn/Gretzky thought Brewer was better than Stevens/Redden/Sydor etc. at the time of the Salt Lake selections. I know for a fact that Gretzky said they were looking to get at least one young guy on the team for developement. It happened to be Brewer, and you can take it to the bank that Lowe put in a good word.

GTF

Feb 28, 2004
Kickabrat said:
Now as for the above. Let me get this straight. You're saying Quinn had no hand in the decisions? Is this why all the coaches met at the all-star break and at least on two other occasions (not counting all the phone calls I'm sure they had) with Gretzky & co. to discuss the roster? Do you know of any coach that has no input on the players on his team? You don't think Quinn pushed for mccabe to be on the team? I suppose Martin had no influence in getting Redden on the team.
Yep! Quinn definitely had a say. They all do/did. Ultimately, it probably comes down to Gretzky, but they all have their input. With the injuries to Pronger and Blake, Quinn publicly said he was pushing to have McCabe on the team. I guess the rest of the guys really must dislike McCabe. I was a little surprised that McCabe didn't make the team with all the injuries, but all the dman have been solid. I think it's great that we can argue who should and shouldn't have made the team. It just shows how much depth Canada has.

I think both Smyth and Brewer deserve to be there. I really can't understand the hate on for both of these players, especially Brewer. Every little mistake they make is *****ed about. Why aren't the other nitpicked the way Brewer and Smyth are. Get over you hate and enjoy the success that Canada has enjoyed thus far.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
monster_bertuzzi said:
It happened to be Brewer, and you can take it to the bank that Lowe put in a good word.
And what is wrong with that. I'm sure Martin put a good word in for Redden. Hitchcock admitted that he pushed for Belfour at the Olympics (even if Belfour was coming off his worse year and feuding with Hitchcock at the time). They know these players intimately and they know what they bring to the party. As far as I'm concerned, no one can complain about player selection on Team Canada. The performance in the Olympics and so far in the WCOH shows the suits must know a little something about putting a team together, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->