Smid vs. Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think they are pretty close, and both play a similar offense-first style.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Well I know one scouting service has Smid at #14 (and thinks he may go top 10) and Hedman at #159. Even if they are a little off on Hedman the MASSIVE gap tends to suggest Smid is more highly thought of...

Last edited:

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well I know one scouting service has Smid at #14 and Hedman at #159. Even if they are a little off on Hedman the MASSIVE gap tends to suggest Smid is more highly thought of...

Others have Hedman among the 30 best. Doesn't say that much, all individual scouts have their opinion. There always seem to be some surprises, and it will happen this year again. Hedman won't be 159, somewhere between late first and secon IMO.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Hedman might be an outsider. He was the youngest goalscorerer in SEL this season (he managed to score something that Johannes Salmonsson didnt). He did some very good games.

He was also really great in World Champs and was according to www.hockeynews.se one of the best defenseman in the whole tournament.
If Sweden would have gone further, he would have been in the allstar team.

He is the most talented defenseman to come out from MODO ever. At least thats what Anders Melinder says, the hockeygymnasium coach, who also trained Forsberg, Näslund, Sedin twins etc.

Then again MODO hasn´t produced as good defenseman as forwards in the past.
Melinder although has said that Oscar Hedman was better than Anders Eriksson in the same age, and also of course Hans Jonsson and Mattias Timander.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Alex Kovalev said:
I hope you meant Smid will be a solid offensive defensmen for years to come.

Did you not watch the Czech's at the WJC? He's great defensively as well. I have him as the 3rd best defensman in the draft.

1-Barker
2-Thelen
3-Smid
4-O'Neill
5-Green

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Did you not watch the Czech's at the WJC? He's great defensively as well. I have him as the 3rd best defensman in the draft.

But compared to his offensive game, his defensive game isnt even close. Sure hes not bad defensively, but thats the area he has to work on the most.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Others have Hedman among the 30 best. Doesn't say that much, all individual scouts have their opinion. There always seem to be some surprises, and it will happen this year again. Hedman won't be 159, somewhere between late first and secon IMO.

That would be great if he fell to the 3rd round, cause I'd like to see the Habs get one of Hedman/Fransson and we dont' have a 2nd rounder. But even though I've never seen Hedman, I can't see him falling out of the 2nd round, but would be happy if he did and fell to us.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
montreal,
well you never can't be too sure. Many expected Enström to at least be a 3rd or 4th round pick last year. His size (5'10) made him slip a lot though.
Hedman is "only" 6'0", but to his advantage he is build like a tank and as strong as they come. I think he'll go in the second round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Predatore said:
montreal,
well you never can't be too sure. Many expected Enström to at least be a 3rd or 4th round pick last year. His size (5'10) made him slip a lot though.
Hedman is "only" 6'0", but to his advantage he is build like a tank and as strong as they come. I think he'll go in the second round.

True anything can happen on draft day. Juri Hudler comes to mind, and I though Patrick Thoresen was going to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder for sure and he wasn't even drafted.

I have contacted a scout I know to get some info on Fredrick Naslund, as he sounds like a good mid round pick. It's hard for me to get info on him so far. Any opinions, (I may have already asked you a while back, sorry if I did)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
well, Näslund has the size, strength and a fine scoring touch. Pretty strong the puck. What he lacks however is a defensive game and his work ethics are perhaps are a bit of concern. Apparently he was awful in the U18 WJC which could have hurt his stock quite a bit. On the other hand players of his large stature with a lot of raw potential are "popular", so I guess he could go somewhere between the 4th and 6th round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Predatore said:
well, Näslund has the size, strength and a fine scoring touch. Pretty strong the puck. What he lacks however is a defensive game and his work ethics are perhaps are a bit of concern. Apparently he was awful in the U18 WJC which could have hurt his stock quite a bit. On the other hand players of his large stature with a lot of raw potential are "popular", so I guess he could go somewhere between the 4th and 6th round.

Thanks. I didn't hear too much about him at the U-18's yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Predatore said:
montreal,
Once again, the size card is not the only card that was played on draft day. A number of players as short as Enstrom or shorter went before him, and a number of D at least that short among them. His size was not the only issue discussed on draft day.

~Crazed.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
hockeycrazed07,
well, obviously not. But the fact remains that there are very few NHL defensemen that are smaller than Enström, and being of smallish stature it quite obvious that scouts can't be too sure how well he'll handle the physical game in NA etc. Had he been 6'3" I'm positive he'd get drafted much earlier.

EDIT:
and for the record, Tobias Enström was the first defenseman 5'10" or under to get drafted, 239th overall. In fact Blues draftee Andrei Pervyshin (253 overall) was the only defenseman shorter than Enström in the draft, I believe.

Last edited:

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Once again, the size card is not the only card that was played on draft day. A number of players as short as Enstrom or shorter went before him, and a number of D at least that short among them. His size was not the only issue discussed on draft day.

~Crazed.

WRONG. I think he was second shortest in the WHOLE draft.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
The fact that you say I'm wrong and then use the words "I think" in your response is telling. I count 8 players drafted in Rounds 1-7 that are as short as or shorter than 5'10" (according to the NHL.com draft report, which is as official as they come, though stats are often lied about), though admittedly no defensemen. (Of course, you might have meant second-shortest D of the entire draft, in which case you'd be correct.)

I figured Enstrom as a 6th rounder, and was surprized that he fell to the 8th, but not shocked. It was a deep draft, to say the least. I know a few teams will regret passing over him, such as the local Sharks who took a waste of ice in Trembley, but such is life. There aren't many impact D that are shorter than 5'11", for sure. Some, but not many.

Back to the topic at hand, Smid is looking like a good 1st Round pick to me, while Hedman looks like an upper-to-mid 2nd, though that is a surprize to nearly nobody.

~Crazed.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Yes i meant second-shortest among D-men.

I by no means think that Hedman will be drafted before Smid. I just meant
that I think Hedman might be a suprise in the draft and go pretty high(which is late first, or early second round). Then again he might not, but thats partly because of height, even if he has 209 pounds to back it up. 6"3 then everyone would be talking about first round for sure...

I remember Niklas Kronwall..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->