Smid and & Fistric how much do you sign them for?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
There's going to be some disappointed people on here when Smid doesn't sign for 3M. He's the best UFA defencemen on the market off the top of my head and we're getting him for 3? If he makes it to July 1 he might get north of 5. I'd be happy with 5 years, 20 million with a NTC.

Amos665

Jan 22, 2013
Edmonton
Here's hoping we stay away from NTC and NMC forever. Wanna laugh at the Flames more? Look at their players with them:

Iginla
Cammalleri
Stajan
Glencross
Tanguay
Bouwmeester
Wideman
Giordano
Babchuk
Sarich
Kiprusoff

Smid should get 4 years at $3.75 million per year
Fistric should get $1.25-1.75 million for 1-2 years

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
There's going to be some disappointed people on here when Smid doesn't sign for 3M. He's the best UFA defencemen on the market off the top of my head and we're getting him for 3? If he makes it to July 1 he might get north of 5. I'd be happy with 5 years, 20 million with a NTC.

Seriously? I would be VERY upset if Smid got that much money.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Smid will get paid--I expect a 5 year contract worth somewhere between 3.5-4.25M. Anything above that will be overpayment. Anything under 3.5M a bargain.

Fistric is not a lock to be re-signed. He meets a need presently, but the D is a bit clogged.

Smid (hopefully), Petry, N.Schultz, J.Schultz--these 4 are almost locks to be here. There might be a free agent signing to replace Whitney. Potter is signed to a contract. Then there is Klefbom, Teubert and Peckham.

this is pretty much my thinking as well... smid moves from 2.25 to around 3.75-4 or so and whitney either moves down to 2.25 (from 4) or we let him walk and get a replacement for him on the UFA market... basically smid and whitney trade places salary wise, as well as depth wise... whitney was on the top pairing and smid on the bottom, and now it has reversed ... i'd be happy to have whitney back for the bottom pairing at around 2.5, but nothing more

fistric, like others have said, likely won't get more than 2 on the open market, if that to be honest... he is a 6/7 guy on most teams

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Seriously? I would be VERY upset if Smid got that much money.

i'll be very shocked if smid doesn't get 4 million, that is right around what i think he'll get and i usually under-estimate the market when i guess upcoming contracts... i wouldn't be surprised for him to be offered 5 million from some team to be honest

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Open market Smid easily gets 4M+ per
Hopefully we lock him up well before it for 4yrs -15M.. A little more than N.Schultz but still less than 4M.

Fistric @ 1.5M should be fair. 1.75M max if he gains Kruger's complete trust.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
For Smid it will be hopefully nothing over 4 mil for about 5 yrs. I know you guys think Fistric is only a 5/6 guy but it is what he brings to this team that is so valuable. He is a rock as a 3rd pairing. Those guys are very important on a cup team. I would sign Fistric for 4 yrs no problem for about 1.5mil. I wonder if he would be happy with that. Whitney has to be moved as Klefbom will be coming up but I would rather start Klefbom in the AHL as it will get him use to the NA game and the rink size. It seems to of helped Schultz. When Klefbom proves himself in the AHL bring him up and play him with Fistric.

I think Musil is going to be a good shut down dman also but will need at least 2 seasons in the AHL.

The Perfect Human*

I'd offer Smid 6 years at $3.5M per. Or at least start like that and see where it goes. Most I'd give up for him would be $4.5M long-term.

Fistric 3 years, $5M total.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I expect that he got more then schultz elc. Josh gorges type of contract for smid, about 4 million x 6 years is pretty fair.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I wouldn't low-ball Smid but I think that he'll definitely take a hometown discount. Regardless, he has to pick up his game. He's been underwhelming so far this season.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I wouldn't give Fistric more than a year. Signing him to a 3 year deal could start to interfere with guys like Klefbom, Marincin and Musil making the team. I'd rather just go year by year with him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Smid, I'm thinking in the $3.5M range for 6 years, imo.

As for Fistric, I want to see more of him this season before I feel like the Oilers commit, but I hope they don't go longer then 2 years, they need some flexibility.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
4 mil/year sounds about right for Smid. His comparables like Georges, Scuderi, Orpik, Regehr all make around that.

Also worrying about singing Fistric for more than a year because he might get in Musil's way is a bit premature. It took Smid about 5 years to get established and he was a high 1st round pick. Defensive guys almost always take a few years to peak.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I wouldn't give Fistric more than a year. Signing him to a 3 year deal could start to interfere with guys like Klefbom, Marincin and Musil making the team. I'd rather just go year by year with him.

These prospects are going to need at least 2-3 yrs and it would not hurt Klefbom to start in the AHL for about 20 games or so then move up the the NHL. Even if Klefbom make the team having him play with Fistric on the 3rd line woud be a perfect start for him. The other prospects are 2-3 yrs in the AHL any way. You have to take your time with dmen. They say dmen need about 300 games before they can play well in the NHL. That it is better to start those 300 games in the AHL.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Don't sign Smid to a deal that will be longer than 3 years.He hasn't played well this season and handing him a long-term contract that would be longer than 3 years would be very risky.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I just hope Smid doesn't turn into Glencross 2.0. The last thing this team needs to lose is it's grittiest player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad