GDT: Smashville @ Goons 7PM MST ALT/RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The biggest positive sign this far for me, next to Varlamov and defense showing they can play solid in our zone is that we're getting payoff from offensive depth. Even when we have players not having the best nights, other step up. First game Stastny, Landeskog, Duchene didn't have great games. Other stepped up. Last night, O'Reilly, Tanguay, Stastny (first half), Duchene (first half) didn't have it going but we still had a game where Avs got 36 shots on goal and were the better team.

The less Duchene and Landeskog feel they have to do it by themselves, the better off Avs are.

This is a good point, especially in relation to Duchene.

Since Duchene was drafted he's had that "super hero helping the damsel in distress" mentality. He's tried to do everything himself and started acting like the lone ranger.

Now that the Avalanche are teaming with good, solid hockey players (some, like MacKinnon who play Duchene's game better than him), Duchene should start transitioning from the "only kid on the block" to a "piece" of the team.

No saying he was selfish, I think he puts too much on himself.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's no Anderson...

183128729_slide.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Friedman just tweeted that he's hearing that there's no hearing scheduled for Steve Downie for last nights hit...can't quote it because I'm on my cell phone

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Game 1 NHL Forum Thread: Roy going Crazy
Game 2 NHL Forum Thread: Downie killing Josi

What will game 3 bring us I wonder...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Some people just want to take hitting out of hockey.

Yeah. Count me in.
This was an unnecessary borderline hit by Downie.
I can see the argument for it being a good clean hit. Shanahan agrees with us.
But I can see why Preds fans believe it is dirty. Same happened to me and us when Landy got crushed.
I for myself dislike it. I don't enjoy young promising careers altered by borderline clean hits.

I am most disappointed by Avs fans reactions on here though.
Given our history with the Stuart on Landeskog hit, a few people on here should pump the brakes a little bit unless they want to come off as total hypocrites...

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
You know, the clip shows that Josi managed to avoid the worst of the contact by spinning back. It's why Downie flew through the air, it was like Lucy pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown. Had Downie gotten a good lick on him, the momentum would have carried Josi more toward the end boards, not toward the official.

Looks like he hit his head on the boards, though, when he went down. He really was up immediately, so I hope that means he was just kept out for precautionary reasons.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Soooo, is it safe to say Holden's time as an Av is slowly coming to an end?

so your automatically giving a spot to a 30 year old career AHL'er who has been OK in 2 games against a couple of weaker teams without seeing him play a game?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah. Count me in.
But I can see why Preds fans believe it is dirty. Same happened to me and us when Landy got crushed.
I for myself dislike it. I don't enjoy young promising careers altered by borderline clean hits.

Given our history with the Stuart on Landeskog hit, a few people on here should pump the brakes a little bit unless they want to come off as total hypocrites...

Cry me a river, it sucks totally what happened to Josi, but this hit wasn't even as borderline as the Stuart hit which I *****ed about twice in the GDT thread in the heat of the moment and then that was it, this was just a great vicious hit. A ****** result doesn't change that. This was the kind of hit that you can only tip your hat to the guy that nailed you with afterwards. Don't wanna watch hits like this? Watch Soccer, you still get some elbows into faces, crazy kicks to knees and ankles, and head to head contact, but there it's always against the rules, in hockey hitting dudes is a huge part of the sport.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A lot of good Trotz's whining did. Maybe he should do what every other coach does and say he'll let the league handle it, rather than saying he was sure they'd suspend him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah. Count me in.

Seriously, if you don't like hits then go watch the NBA. Hockey in 2013 is already super pansy compared to hockey even in the mid 90s. I mean take a look at the Avs/Red Wings rivalry for example that was like a war, no one ever really got suspensions (a few did here and there, but they were a million times worse than what happened last night).

Downies hit was a great hit, it was very unfortunate that Josi put himself in vulnerable position, but Downies did what he was supposed to do which was finish his hit. Josi will be fine, it's not a career ender.

It's really unfortunate that people are getting overly sensitive to things like hitting and fighting, it's part of the game the players know this going into it. This just furthers my proof of the p***yfication of America. It's part of the game deal with it, and if you can't deal with fighting and big hits then don't watch.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
so your automatically giving a spot to a 30 year old career AHL'er who has been OK in 2 games against a couple of weaker teams without seeing him play a game?

No. I'm saying that Roy has said that he has been very impressed with Guenin and has said "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

The fact that we have won both games so far while only giving up 1 goal each, I find it hard to imagine Roy changing up the defense for next game.

And with Wilson supposed to be coming back sometime soon, I don't know when he is going to get a chance to play. Maybe if we lose Tuesday?

But as long as we are winning, or at least holding the opposition to only 1 or 2 goals a game, why change the defense from his standpoint?

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
My biggest positive for the year so far is that I don't have to watch O'Brien, OByrne, Zannon and Hunwick on the ice anymore. AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

Think about it, that was 2/3 of our D last year.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
No. I'm saying that Roy has said that he has been very impressed with Guenin and has said "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

The fact that we have won both games so far while only giving up 1 goal each, I find it hard to imagine Roy changing up the defense for next game.

And with Wilson supposed to be coming back sometime soon, I don't know when he is going to get a chance to play. Maybe if we lose Tuesday?

But as long as we are winning, or at least holding the opposition to only 1 or 2 goals a game, why change the defense from his standpoint?

so I guess we keep Landy out too then since he didnt do much in the first game and they won the second game without him?
I think most would agree both Holden and Guenin outperformed Hunwick in preseason so I would hope he is the out man out when Wilson comes back. You don't know what you have yet with Holden who is still the youngest of the three, we all know what we have with Hunwick unfortunately!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Seriously, if you don't like hits then go watch the NBA. Hockey in 2013 is already super pansy compared to hockey even in the mid 90s. I mean take a look at the Avs/Red Wings rivalry for example that was like a war, no one ever really got suspensions (a few did here and there, but they were a million times worse than what happened last night).

Downies hit was a great hit, it was very unfortunate that Josi put himself in vulnerable position, but Downies did what he was supposed to do which was finish his hit. Josi will be fine, it's not a career ender.

It's really unfortunate that people are getting overly sensitive to things like hitting and fighting, it's part of the game the players know this going into it. This just furthers my proof of the p***yfication of America. It's part of the game deal with it, and if you can't deal with fighting and big hits then don't watch.

Well Ok. But than I don't want to hear a peep when Weber concusses MacKinnon on a borderline hit when we meet again and Mac is out for the season. Not a peep.

It is part of the game yeah. You want to know why the NFL and NHL are undergoing a "p***yfication"?
Because concussions can ruin lifes and need to be limited at all costs.

Hits like that and Fighting will be gone in 20 years.
Why? Because the next lawsuit will not go as well as the one the NFL just settled.

And I was mainly calling out the guys that gloat about this hit or defend it on the Nashville board and did a 180 on their reaction compared to the Stuart hit.
I sure as hell would not have liked Bruins fans coming in the same day or the day after the Landeskog incident and tell me how this was a clean hit and how I am too stupid to realize that.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
My biggest positive for the year so far is that I don't have to watch O'Brien, OByrne, Zannon and Hunwick on the ice anymore. AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

Think about it, that was 2/3 of our D last year.

It is better if you don't think about it. Just move on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad