GDT: Smashville @ Goons 7PM MST ALT/RDS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Not Zanon awful but he was easily the worse defender out there. I blame him for screwing up Varlys shutout.

Zanon level awful is really quite an achievement. I hated Brett Clark, Kyle Cumiskey and Matt Hunwick, but none of them suck to the level of Greg Zanon, although at times Clark was close.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

There's been a lot of shaky defenders around the league in the first game. A few have looked great (Trouba, Staal) but most have been underwhelming.

They'll get up to speed pretty quickly though. I'll start worrying about defenders not looking sharp in a couple of weeks but not now.

There needs to be a new style of defender... the 6'5" shutdown guy is an aging relic of the pre-lockout NHL.

There needs to be a 6'2" stocky defender that can keep up with flashy quick guys and squeeze plays dead, then move the puck out.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
adater ‏@adater 3 min
John Mitchell playing left wing on line with Stastny and Tanguay, replacing Landeskog. Cliche 4th line center #Avs

Hopefully it is just precautionary. Gives him almost a week off if he doesn't play tonight.

Luckily there is no Getz-Perry line that needs to be shutdown, so Mitchell replacing Gabe's spot doesn't ruin the Stastny-Top line matchup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There needs to be a new style of defender... the 6'5" shutdown guy is an aging relic of the pre-lockout NHL.

There needs to be a 6'2" stocky defender that can keep up with flashy quick guys and squeeze plays dead, then move the puck out.

This sounds a lot like Bigras....

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I thought Mitchell played ok in game one. Did a good job on the PK too.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
We're going to the game tonight. Took the family night deal since craigslist can be a pain. Random question. Has anyone ever taken a non-flash DSLR in?

Can't wait!

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't know why Mitchell gets so much hate around here. He is a decent player in the right role. And he has proven to me that he can probably be penciled in for 10-12 goals this year primarily on the 4th line. He could have easily had 2 against ANH.

I have no problem having him in spot roles on one of our top 3 lines, I wish he was a better passer but he is not a liability up there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know why Mitchell gets so much hate around here. He is a decent player in the right role. And he has proven to me that he can probably be penciled in for 10-12 goals this year primarily on the 4th line. He could have easily had 2 against ANH.

I have no problem having him in spot roles on one of our top 3 lines, I wish he was a better passer but he is not a liability up there.

He is very valuable for depth in situations like this, but isn't ideally suited for the 4th line (though he wasn't bad at all against Anaheim in that role). As scoring line injury replacement 13th forward he is ideal.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Honestly, I know this sounds dumb, the best role you can put him in is between Bordeleau and Mcleod, because they are both pluggers. Mitchell has no seeming awareness of where anybody else is on the ice and couldn't use a linemate to save his life. Putting him on a line where it's somewhat acceptable to never pass the puck actually isn't a terrible idea. Mitchell can do his own little thing and nobody else is worse for it.

But hell no to him on a line with skill players. McLeod would at least crash the net and go for some rebounds, Mitchell has a high probability of being useless.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Honestly, I know this sounds dumb, the best role you can put him in is between Bordeleau and Mcleod, because they are both pluggers. Mitchell has no seeming awareness of where anybody else is on the ice and couldn't use a linemate to save his life. Putting him on a line where it's somewhat acceptable to never pass the puck actually isn't a terrible idea. Mitchell can do his own little thing and nobody else is worse for it.

But hell no to him on a line with skill players. McLeod would at least crash the net and go for some rebounds, Mitchell has a high probability of being useless.

But at least Mitchell is decent at carrying the puck with speed, and won't be afraid to shoot. Staz and Tanguay are primarily set-up guys. IF theyre going to be matching top lines, I have ZERO problem with Mitchell constantly firing pucks at the net just to blow the play dead. Then you switch up with Mack/Duchene lines in the offensive zone.

Tangs isnt much of a shooter, and Stastny? I could backhand a puck with the knob of my stick better than stastny can shoot. I have no problems with Mitchell as the replacement on that line.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
But at least Mitchell is decent at carrying the puck with speed, and won't be afraid to shoot. Staz and Tanguay are primarily set-up guys. IF theyre going to be matching top lines, I have ZERO problem with Mitchell constantly firing pucks at the net just to blow the play dead. Then you switch up with Mack/Duchene lines in the offensive zone.

Tangs isnt much of a shooter, and Stastny? I could backhand a puck with the knob of my stick better than stastny can shoot. I have no problems with Mitchell as the replacement on that line.

I think Mitchell is a bit like David Jones. They have hard accurate shots but have a hard time getting it off unless they get to have the puck on their sticks for a while and have space. So they don't really mesh with playmakers where it's more important to find open ice and have a quick release.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
So it's back to back night for Nashville and they might start their backup. I don't like where this is heading.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

I think he deserves the spot on the Stastny line, as he scored a good goal + hit the crossbar against Anaheim. Seems to be on form scoring-wise.
OFC i hope Landy is back as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->