Post-Game Talk: Smashville @ Goons 7PM MST ALT/RDS2 oct 4

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/201...ith-power-play-or-play-of-tyson-barrie/15025/

Nothing surprising, said most of those things myself. Nice to see Roy being direct.

Also, D2M, you can quote out of closed threads by clicking on the post #, which takes to a page with just the post, and then copying the post identifier number out of the URL, and finally using the number in the
tags the same way HF does it automatically.

It's a hassle though lol
You have to manually copy the text too

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rewatched the game this morning and here are my thoughts

1. Number one star yet again was Varly. I dont like leaving him on an island every night BUT im also happy to see that he looks way more calm thus far then he did all last year. His rebound control seems to have improved overnight.

2. Mackinnon is gonna score soon. In fact im willing to say he scores in Toronto. I loved his game last night. Smart, fast and quicker decision makings then last game. He really does remind me of Mike Gartner for some reason. I dont know how many of you remember Mike but Mackinnon reminds me of him. The one thing I want Mackinnon to stop doing is that beaver tap. I hated playing with guys who did that on my teams. Hes a rookie and he wants that first goal just be patient kid it will come.

3. Steve Downie. We missed this guy alot last yr for the reasons hes displayed in games 1 and 2. He was everywhere last night involved in everything. He made a mark in both games thus far. Shea Weber and the rest of the Preds wanted to kill him bad.Seems like were making enemies every game and I love it. That hit was clean. Downie should not be suspended. I hope Josi is ok hes a hell of a dman.

4. I swear we lost every single important faceoff last night. Someone posted the stats that we were well above 50%(Duchene and Stastny) but I dont believe it. We lost every single offensive zone draw by my count.

5. ROR back check in the third period is the reason hes loved by all his coaches. He turned a 2 on 1 into a 2 on 2 in a matter of seconds due to his dogged determination. I love ROR and so does Roy.

6. I always love seeing Bords score. Our resident goon has more goals then Taylor Hall :sarcasm:

7. Alot of weird calls last night from the refs. Especially the charge on Downie and the slash I think it was. The refs call on the preds for goalie interference was also kinda strange. Meh. We won so its no big deal

8. Nate Guenin. This guys been solid. Where the hell did he come from? He gets his shots through unlike another guy on our blue line.

9. Barrie was bad again. I know its early and I know hes playing on the left side but hes been bad. Just not the kinda start I expected out of him. He better get it going because we have Holden, Wilson and Hunny bunny just licking their chops to get in the line up.

10. Our D still needs help. Too many times last night we were pinned in. I do however like the quick puck movements in the offensive zone. Something we havent seen in the last 4 yrs. Also, Andre Benoit has come out of knowhere and become our second best D. I dont know if thats good, bad or sad.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

2. Mackinnon is gonna score soon. In fact im willing to say he scores in Toronto. I loved his game last night. Smart, fast and quicker decision makings then last game. He really does remind me of Mike Gartner for some reason. I dont know how many of you remember Mike but Mackinnon reminds me of him. The one thing I want Mackinnon to stop doing is that beaver tap. I hated playing with guys who did that on my teams. Hes a rookie and he wants that first goal just be patient kid it will come.

Duchene did a lot of that his rookie season. I remember one of his first goals was a light tap in by Liles that Duchene stole and slid in.

MacKinnon (and Duchene) were guys in juniors who were used to being heads and shoulders above others in terms of compete and skill.

Nothing wrong with it, just eager 18 year old kids who want to score their first goal as soon as possible to get things going.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Yeah all the complaints about Mackinnon's stick tapping I don't get. None of us are in the lockeroom, he could have let everyone know it's a thing he does. When I played hockey tons of people did that, nobody ever really cared. Atleast not enough to speak up. Guess it's more thinking it's annoying to see, more aesthetic than anything?

If he keeps playing like he has been he can bang that stick all day long as far as I'm concerned :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barrie hasn't played well but it's not like he's having a lot of trouble defensively and giving up scoring chances left and right. His main struggles have been with puck handling and moving the puck. Those are usually his strengths and that's why I'm not too worried about him. Once he calms down and stops trying to do too much, he'll be fine. Look at Mitchell's goal against the Ducks, Barrie started that play and was a big part of the goal because he used his instincts and let the play come to him.

It has only been two games but Benoit has been good. No shame in admitting I might have been wrong about him and he might be more than just a #6 defenseman. I have been very impressed with his play in the defensive zone. I would like to see him do more on the PP though. The thing that pissed me off the most about Liles was him just hanging onto the puck and putting a weak wrister on goal. Need more puck movement. But just like with Barrie, the offense and improved play on the PP will come. That's what Benoit does best.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
1. Number one star yet again was Varly. I dont like leaving him on an island every night BUT im also happy to see that he looks way more calm thus far then he did all last year. His rebound control seems to have improved overnight.
I don't think the Avs left Varly on an island last night at all. They were much better defensively than in the first game.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
King, that's a good point about face offs. I remember getting annoyed about lost draws but never really added them up; we were pretty dreaming bad.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I've been very happy with most of the players thus far (I mean they're playing well and winning, but no one is perfect), but I think the guys I'm happiest with is Bordeleau and McLeod. They've moved the puck very well and rarely ever give it away. Really great to see

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
R The one thing I want Mackinnon to stop doing is that beaver tap. I hated playing with guys who did that on my teams. Hes a rookie and he wants that first goal just be patient kid it will come.

The refs call on the preds for goalie interference was also kinda strange. Meh. We won so its no big deal

9. Barrie was bad again. I know its early and I know hes playing on the left side but hes been bad. Just not the kinda start I expected out of him. He better get it going because we have Holden, Wilson and Hunny bunny just licking their chops to get in the line up.

Good I'm not the only one.:laugh:

It's strange he meant to hit the defender onto Varly. I remember a game in 09 playoffs between the flyers and caps where that didn't get called I flipped out. It was game 7 in OT.

Duchene did a lot of that his rookie season. I remember one of his first goals was a light tap in by Liles that Duchene stole and slid in.

MacKinnon (and Duchene) were guys in juniors who were used to being heads and shoulders above others in terms of compete and skill.

Nothing wrong with it, just eager 18 year old kids who want to score their first goal as soon as possible to get things going.

I don't remember Duchene doing that at all. If he did it was no more than one or 2 times. Mack is doing every shift. It really does seem like I'm losing sleep over this but it's no big deal... Just annoying and he'll stop soon enough.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
One of the veterans or coaches will pull him aside and tell him to cut it out, if he does it too much. It's a non-issue.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Good I'm not the only one.:laugh:

It's strange he meant to hit the defender onto Varly. I remember a game in 09 playoffs between the flyers and caps where that didn't get called I flipped out. It was game 7 in OT.

I don't remember Duchene doing that at all. If he did it was no more than one or 2 times. Mack is doing every shift. It really does seem like I'm losing sleep over this but it's no big deal... Just annoying and he'll stop soon enough.

the beaver tap isnt a big deal per se I just was always annoyed when guys did it when I play lol. the only time I recall duchene doing it a little was on that crazy goal on fleury but I can't remember if he actually tapped his stick on the ice.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
the beaver tap isnt a big deal per se I just was always annoyed when guys did it when I play lol. the only time I recall duchene doing it a little was on that crazy goal on fleury but I can't remember if he actually tapped his stick on the ice.
if you want the puck, yell for it.
I hate the stick tap because I may not be in a good position to see you or know exactly who you are. If I can hear you I'll consider passing it, but anybody can just start banging their stick .

Actually, as a defenseman I used to try the beaver tap every once in a while on the other team when a guy had his back to me. worked occasionally.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think it's just an auditory thing. When a guy does two whacks on the ice, it seems normal. When a guy does four whacks like MacKinnon does, and seems to do it a couple times on every shift, it seems a little weird. I noticed being mildly annoyed by it, but tried to pay it no mind because I want him to get the puck.

I noticed one play on the PP where Mack did it while Staz had the puck on the half boards. He seemed to half turn like he wanted to pass to him while he was open, but then didn't at the last second. I wonder if it's something that teammates might not be all that fond of either when done so much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Highlights from Roy today. Landy playing in Toronto. Wilson close but no for Toronto. Sakic and Kroenke going on trip to make decisions when Wilson gets activated. Varly playing Toronto and Washington, Jiggy for Boston.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Highlights from Roy today. Landy playing in Toronto. Wilson close but no for Toronto. Sakic and Kroenke going on trip to make decisions when Wilson gets activated. Varly playing Toronto and Washington, Jiggy for Boston.
I don't think he said no to Wilson in Toronto. They have an interview with Wilson on the site and he said he'll see tomorrow.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tough decision coming up for Roy. Guenin has played well but Wilson should be good to go this week.

There are a lot of times when you can see how slow Sarich is compared to the other players out there but he hasn't played too bad either. No big mistakes that I can think of and he brings a physical presence around the net.

I doubt Wilson pulls a Quincey and complains but if he's healthy, he probably should be playing.

Nice to see Varly getting the start in Washington. Hope he shuts them out.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Tough decision coming up for Roy. Guenin has played well but Wilson should be good to go this week.

There are a lot of times when you can see how slow Sarich is compared to the other players out there but he hasn't played too bad either. No big mistakes that I can think of and he brings a physical presence around the net.

I doubt Wilson pulls a Quincey and complains but if he's healthy, he probably should be playing.

Nice to see Varly getting the start in Washington. Hope he shuts them out.

Too bad it will never be Barrie to be demoted, he's been the worst by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->