Post-Game Talk: Smashville @ Goons 7PM MST ALT/RDS2 oct 4

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Joems:

Teams hit to hurt. Teams hit to intimidate. Sometimes players get hurt. Of course Avs fans will react emotionally when an Avs player get crushed, just as Preds fans did yesterday. That's human nature. But most don't want hitting gone. It's part of what makes hockey hockey.

I'm sure eventually Downie will have a hit that's over the line. That's inevitable with the way he plays. Landeskog will probably have a hit where he is over the line eventually. It's a very quick game where players don't always are in a great position to take a hit.

I'm all for taking a hard line against blatant headshots. But Downies hit wasn't a headshot. It was a hockey hit. A hard hockey hit that might have hurt the other guy, but still a hockey hit.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If Downie was suspended, it would have been a travesty. Glad that sanity prevailed.

I hope Josi is OK. I don't think anyone wants to see someone get hurt, and he's a great young defenseman.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Joems:

Teams hit to hurt. Teams hit to intimidate. Sometimes players get hurt. Of course Avs fans will react emotionally when an Avs player get crushed, just as Preds fans did yesterday. That's human nature. But most don't want hitting gone. It's part of what makes hockey hockey.

I'm sure eventually Downie will have a hit that's over the line. That's inevitable with the way he plays. Landeskog will probably have a hit where he is over the line eventually. It's a very quick game where players don't always are in a great position to take a hit.

I'm all for taking a hard line against blatant headshots. But Downies hit wasn't a headshot. It was a hockey hit. A hard hockey hit that might have hurt the other guy, but still a hockey hit.

Downie's hit was borderline IMO. Probably should have got a minor but not a suspension. The only reason is because he skated into the hit rather than glided, he kinda launched himself into the hit a little and left his feet slightly at the same time or after the hit.

Josi's head was really low to the ice though, and Downie lead with his shoulder. It's hard to tell but it looks like he made contact with Josi's chest or shoulder first. Ten years ago this would be just a good hit, but since they are trying to cut down on head shots in general, it should probably be a minor penalty.

If Downie would have directly hit Josi's head, or launched himself upward, rather than horizontally, it should have been a suspension. It's close under the new guidelines IMO, but not close enough.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Once again I thought Varlamov was the first star of the game. Calm, cool and collective. The Allaire effect has so far been a good thing. Our PP was all around pretty bad, can't really say anything good about it.

Thought Benoit and Geunin had another two good games. Defensively anyways. Was really hoping that Benoit would be better on the PP but we're two games in so we'll see what happens. Barrie struggled again and Roy responded by taking him off the PP and replacing him with Parenteau.

Forward wise Parenteau had a good game with two goals. Stastny's line had some decent chances but Rinne bettered them. Duchene's line was average I think. Except for Downie who was all over the ice. I'm becoming pretty impressed with our 4th line. Their not overly skilled but they don't seem to be a huge liability out there.

Also our PK seems to be better then last season by a fair margin. Roy looks like he's actually turned Mitchell and McLeod into PK guys for now. Which is a surprise because it was a guaranteed PP goal when those two were on.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Joems:

I 100 % understand what you are saying. And I am not advocating banning hitting (or fighting).
But I have seen and read way too much about concussions and their severity to enjoy or tolerate hits like that.
Downie hit solely to hurt. The odds of Josi (who put himself in a very bad position with his head down) getting a concussion there were sky high.

That is why I would have wanted Downie to let up. Clean or not. Where is the respect towards your peers and their career?
Same for Stuart on Landeskog. You can not prevent concussions that happen when players hit their head on the ice.
But completely crushing players when you see that they have their head way down is just something I dislike. Sure it is not their fault that the other dude has his head down. That is why I would have hated a suspension there.
But you can set a tone and hit people hard without dealing a crushing blow to their brain and putting their career in jeopardy.
I just dislike that part of hitting. It just never ends well.

And my main critic was that many posters on here seamlessly switched sides on this debate just because this time it was our player dishing out the hit and not getting smoked like the last time.
Reading the NSH board made me sick. No need to tell them how clean the hit was (even if they are right). They still lost Josi for a long time and obviously hated the hit. No need to rub it in.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Once again I thought Varlamov was the first star of the game. Calm, cool and collective. The Allaire effect has so far been a good thing. Our PP was all around pretty bad, can't really say anything good about it.

Thought Benoit and Geunin had another two good games. Defensively anyways. Was really hoping that Benoit would be better on the PP but we're two games in so we'll see what happens. Barrie struggled again and Roy responded by taking him off the PP and replacing him with Parenteau.

Forward wise Parenteau had a good game with two goals. Stastny's line had some decent chances but Rinne bettered them. Duchene's line was average I think. Except for Downie who was all over the ice. I'm becoming pretty impressed with our 4th line. Their not overly skilled but they don't seem to be a huge liability out there.

Also our PK seems to be better then last season by a fair margin. Roy looks like he's actually turned Mitchell and McLeod into PK guys for now. Which is a surprise because it was a guaranteed PP goal when those two were on.

He's moving so much less out there, it's really benefitted him. I was skeptical about him changing his style, but so far I think it's worked great. He seems very comfortable playing that style, and is making every save look easy because of his positioning. His higher glove hand is also making shooters less inclined to pick the corners on him because they don't see as much net there.

I don't think he could have had a better start. That's not really the test for him though IMO. He's always seemed to have good starts to seasons. It's the mid and end season games that will be the test, but I like the way his game is now.

It's good to know that Allaire or someone will be there to keep him focused on the details of his position through the course of the long season. That will be the biggest benefit IMO.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The goal by Nashville could have been prevented if Duchene had stopped to make the defensive play instead of trying to do the fly by. It's a somewhat lazy play, and those are the plays that Roy is trying to get out of their system. It's little details like that that can win you games.

I don't think Duchene has played that great, but to be 2-0 with him being average is a good sign.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Duchene seems to give Weber fits. I'm not sure if he struggles like this against any other player, but Duchene's speed has been causing Weber issues the last two years.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I mentioned it in the other thread, but Duchene seems to give Weber fits. I'm not sure if he struggles like this against any other player, but Duchene's speed has been causing Weber issues the last two years.

When Weber got the penalty for interfering with Duchene, it looked like he muttered "Duchene" to his teammate already in the box.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He's moving so much less out there, it's really benefitted him. I was skeptical about him changing his style, but so far I think it's worked great. He seems very comfortable playing that style, and is making every save look easy because of his positioning. His higher glove hand is also making shooters less inclined to pick the corners on him because they don't see as much net there.

I don't think he could have had a better start. That's not really the test for him though IMO. He's always seemed to have good starts to seasons. It's the mid and end season games that will be the test, but I like the way his game is now.

It's good to know that Allaire or someone will be there to keep him focused on the details of his position through the course of the long season. That will be the biggest benefit IMO.

I agree with everything that you said. We all know Varly starts off the season well. Despite that it's still nice to see him get off to a good start considering what happened last season. I believe there is a difference between last years start and this years start. Last year he seemed to be exerting too much energy in those games by relying on his reflexes too much.

Now though you can see how he makes everything look pretty much effortless. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing. That's the biggest thing in my opinion. Sticking to this new style.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Tyson Barrie ‏@tysonbarrie 2m
@6ErikJohnson that was also a puck last night I thought it was a grenade... Tough night all around!

At least Barrie knew he sucked :laugh:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm nervous by the amount of threads on us on the main board. Everyone hush.

None of them started by Avs fans. Of course no fan base can resist posting in threads about their teams on the main board, so Avs fans help bumping them.

If an Avs fan were to start a bragging thread about the team there, I'd cringe.

Huis Clos*

I'm nervous by the amount of threads on us on the main board. Everyone hush.

Why? The main board probably has the worst content of the whole site which is saying something considering it's mostly poor as a whole to begin with. Don't concern yourself with it.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Its tough not to be excited right now. Im trying to keep a level head because unless Roy's coaching is magically fixing our defense....they will start to cost us games at some point.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Downie is always ready to drop the gloves when he plays. He knows he has a target on him.

33nhw7c.gif

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72039943&postcount=994

No, Landy shouldn't be benched because he played good in the first game. I'm still trying too figure out how you guys think he played bad?

And I totally forgot about Hunwick hahaa.

But it is definitely down to Holden and Hunwick, since Guenin has all but locked up his spot. It will be interesting to see how Roy chooses to go if neither of them play before they activate Wilson off the IR.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72039943&postcount=994

No, Landy shouldn't be benched because he played good in the first game. I'm still trying too figure out how you guys think he played bad?

And I totally forgot about Hunwick hahaa.

But it is definitely down to Holden and Hunwick, since Guenin has all but locked up his spot. It will be interesting to see how Roy chooses to go if neither of them play before they activate Wilson off the IR.

I don't know about the posts you're referring to but it wasn't that great of a game by Landy. It was ok, and there were a few shifts where he made mistakes with the puck. Looked a bit nervous, and like he was trying to do too much. A lot like Barrie, but Barrie's made more mistakes and more glaring ones.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Its tough not to be excited right now. Im trying to keep a level head because unless Roy's coaching is magically fixing our defense....they will start to cost us games at some point.

I'm happy to see improvement and a new attitude. They have a long way to go and will certainly face adversity, then we'll see how they respond. This team had needed am identity for the longest time and these steps towards that are a positive.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I don't know about the posts you're referring to but it wasn't that great of a game by Landy. It was ok, and there were a few shifts where he made mistakes with the puck. Looked a bit nervous, and like he was trying to do too much. A lot like Barrie, but Barrie's made more mistakes and more glaring ones.

The post I was referring to is the link I posted at the top of my post.

And I'm not saying it was his best game, but his line's primary role that game was a shutdown role, and that is exactly what they did.

If he is going to be facing other teams top lines, I don't care if he doesn't put up points as long as he is preventing opposing teams top lines from scoring.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

This was the big thing I've noticed as well. His movement in net now also seem robotic if that makes any sense. And his glove hand make the top look really small.

I've been extremely impressed with him so far. A complete 180 from last year IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->