Celebrity Death: Smashmouth Lead Singer Steve Harrell, 56

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Only 56 years old, but a myriad of health issues (including substance abuse) have plagued him and seem to have caught up to him.

They’re an easy mark for mockery of the late 90s, early 2000s music scene but you couldn’t escape them. They left a mark and this feels like someone going way too soon.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Man that sucks. Final stage liver problem. He made excellent music, I hope he knows that he lived a good life making meaningful music for people like me.

Astro Lounge was the first album that I owned as a kid. Well, one of the first, I remember getting it from those subscriptions where you got to pick fifteen albums for like a dollar each. So I also got some Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC* and the like, but Smash Mouth was the first thing I really connected to. Must've had good taste as a kid haha because that album has a lot of ska and reggae flavor if you go beyond 'Allstar'.

Smash Mouth is also from San Jose so that's cool.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Man, that sucks.
I feel like they're mostly known for their songs in Shrek, but if you grew up in the late 90s you definitely heard of them.

For the record, when I saw the news...Walking in the Sun popped up in my head, with a voice over of Ethan Embry's character in Can't Hardly Wait describing Jennifer Love Hewitt holding his favorite pop tart

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they were everywhere for a few years there in the early 00s after astro lounge came out and they had that one song featured in shrek. memes aside though, their debut album is actually a great listen

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
While I did think the memes were amusing, I genuinely did appreciate some of their music.

RIP. Far too young and more needs to be done to help people with substance abuse.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Really sad. Way too young. Fush Yu Mang was a great debut. My friends would always be playing it in their car when we started driving so I go to know it really well.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Did a music video for "All-Star" with some friends for drama class back in high school. Great times, very nostalgic tunes for me. I recently experienced what its like losing someone close before their time, it's incredibly hard.

RIP

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
they were everywhere for a few years there in the early 00s after astro lounge came out and they had that one song featured in shrek. memes aside though, their debut album is actually a great listen

Seriously. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who hadn't heard All Star at least once a day during that run. Malls, food joints, radio - it was everywhere.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
What's the real sadness is that you got two people drinking the same, but one gets hardcore liver failure and the other one is able to live 30 years longer.
It does mean that the person living 30 years longer is having a decent quality of life. A lot of people manage to hold on thanks to modern science while slowly spiraling down the drain.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Help is out there if it is desired. What I've learned through being almost 27 years sober is that most alcoholics fail to take personal responsibility. Most of our problems are of our own making

Was just reading about Derek Sanderson--sober over 40 years.

If you WANT a drink, have one. If you NEED a drink, get help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad