Smash The Nhlpa

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter1909*

the players had a legitimate grievance in the 1960s...

now theyre all millionaires...and it makes real people want to puke their guts out...

theyre all no better than whining rich arseholes now

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
I often wonder what the poster expects the response to be when they post messages like this. Are they hoping for a chorus of enthusiastic postive voices championing the poster to put more reflection on here? Are they hoping that we can all be fascist-like drones ala Fight Club and repeat the words over in some form of Mantra as we head off to Toronto and bomb NHLPA HQ?

I guess the world will never know.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
This is a stupid post. Truly it is.

The NHLPA was and still is needed to control the greed of the owners. The players are not being greedy in all this.

They just don't want to lose what they have. Would you?

They are going to have to accept a cap, and break down in this conflict. But it doesn't mean they are greedy.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Its all the Rangers and Leafs fault for offering Holik what they offered him

9 ******* million for a checking line center :shakehead

That's why the word IMPASSE should become a very known word on these boards...because I'm already starting the countdown to it.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
Seven_Nation_Army said:
Its all the Rangers and Leafs fault for offering Holik what they offered him

9 ******* million for a checking line center :shakehead

That's why the word IMPASSE should become a very known word on these boards...because I'm already starting the countdown to it.

That's exactly right. The NHL has a good case for having the impasse approved due to the fact that two MAJOR leagues already impose a cap and have done A-Okay with it.

I think the NHL has no other choice. The PA keeps saying they don't have a negotiating partner but the league doesn't have one either simply because neither of them wish to begin a dialogue about the points they are both willing to accept.

Also, the NHL has the research on their side to support their end of it. They have the Levitt report - which is an iron horse - and have offered on two occasions to have Levitt personally go over it and answer any questions with the NHLPA. Both times they refused.

If anything, the league has done a lot to make the NHLPA aware of their position and the PA's simple answer has always come down to "we don't trust your numbers" and "we won't accept a cap." There's no real hard data there. If they don't accept the numbers - tell us why.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when either of the two sides tries to open up a dialogue again with each other. If nothing comes of anything by around Christmas I don't see any reason why the league shouldn't pursue an impasse. They can prove they've tried to find a reasonable means through negotiation and been refused time and time again by an "unreasonable negotiating partner". If approved they can start the league again and the players can either accept or strike.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
This is a stupid post. Truly it is.

The NHLPA was and still is needed to control the greed of the owners. The players are not being greedy in all this.

They just don't want to lose what they have. Would you?

They are going to have to accept a cap, and break down in this conflict. But it doesn't mean they are greedy.

They're all greedy

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
RangerBoy said:
$90 million for Alexei Yashin :help:

That isn't all bad since at that time, Yashin was a proven star who had top 10 talent in the NHL and was arguably a top 5 forward at the time. 10 million dollar for a established star at the height of the last CBA was quite common as we saw Tkachuk rake in 10, Jagr make 11, Forsberg 10, Sakic 10, Leclair 9, Kariya 10, Sundin 9, Weight 7.5, Roenick 7.5, Lindros 8.5, etc....

But Holik, a checking center at best, though you can argue that he is a proven winner and perhaps the best 3rd liner in the league, should not be paid 9 million dollars a year. That smashed the floodgates and signaled what was wrong with the CBA. When 3rd liners can potentially earn upwards of 9 million dollars per year....

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
nikeisevil said:
That's exactly right. The NHL has a good case for having the impasse approved due to the fact that two MAJOR leagues already impose a cap and have done A-Okay with it.

Who is the 2nd major league with a cap?

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
2 leagues with cap MLB and NFL

edit: in MLB the cap is set so high that only 1 team is ever over the cap...the yankees

if you go back through threads you can find the basic dealings of the nfl cap

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
garry1221 said:
2 leagues with cap MLB and NFL

edit: in MLB the cap is set so high that only 1 team is ever over the cap...the yankees

if you go back through threads you can find the basic dealings of the nfl cap

I don't want to get into a semantical argument, but the only major league with anything close to what the NHl wants is the NFL. And for reason's I've already covered, its totally irrational to compare the two leagues from a financial standpoint.

hunter1909*

i love the way how lames can argue for guys who make 10 million bucks a season...

while they head off to their $2.00 an hour jobs

: p

top_gun36

Hometown hero
Apr 5, 2004
Vancouver BC
I suppose playing for a sport that deals ALOT of physical punishment and the chance of early retirement doesnt warent the big bucks.

Brent Burns Beard