Smart home stuff (specifically door locks)?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Hey folks. I think this might be an appropriate forum for this, but please move or close it if not.

Wife and I are about to do some upgrades on our home, and we'd like to get some smart home stuff in there. I just picked up a connected thermostat around Christmas time and I absolutely love it.

We've been looking into getting a smart doorbell (Think we're picking up the SkyBell HD) and I'm kind of interested in a smart lock for the door.

Anyone have one and have any opinions to give on it?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think the smart lock is a cool idea, but I just don't know how much it would help. I'd be too paranoid to trust it to lock on its own so I'd still do it. It might also create bad habits for children, i.e. they don't pay attention to locking or leaving the door unlocked. It'd be great for walking into the house with your hands full, but what else would anyone really need it for?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think the smart lock is a cool idea, but I just don't know how much it would help. I'd be too paranoid to trust it to lock on its own so I'd still do it. It might also create bad habits for children, i.e. they don't pay attention to locking or leaving the door unlocked. It'd be great for walking into the house with your hands full, but what else would anyone really need it for?
The "Cool" factor of course ;)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If you get a smartlock, ideally it should have a pin pad so you can manually open it and override it. Read a lot of reviews on them to-date and they all struggle with bluetooth, wi-fi or no key solutions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad