Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's never too early to start drooling:

2 title fights, 2 tournament semifinals and finals, and JZ. What more could one ask for? :handclap:
That card looks great. I can't wait to see the two super hulk semi fights. Mousasi/Sokoudjou should be a war and HMC/Minowa is intriguing and should be fun to watch. I'd love to see them bring in Alvarez to fight JZ but doubt it happens. Otherwise, I'd like to see JZ get a rematch with Kawajiri or give Ribeiro a chance to redeem his 2007 loss to JZ. I'm really hoping that Hellboy lays a beating on Aoki.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I finally got around to watching Sengoku on my PVR. What exactly happened to Hioki? I must've missed the update, probably cuz I usually tune out between fights so I don't have to listen Metzger sound like an idiot anymore than I have to.

The KO of Gono was insane, you could see it coming though, I dont' think he lifted his hands above his nipples the entire fight. The Misaki jumping knee was fantastic, the sound when he hit him almost made my stomach turn. The choke that followed was pretty unreal also, it didn't even look like he had it sunk in, more just using pure power to put him to sleep.

I had read the hype about Kitaoka but came away from my frist viewing of him wanting more. He has some major flaws, any fighter with a good striking game and solid TD will be able to put him away more often than not. I'd like to see Gomi get a rematch with him, I suspect the outcome would be a little different.

Finally, Fujita/Ivanov was 15 mins of my life that I wish I had back. :shakehead

northstarsforever

Jul 9, 2009
Plano TX by Rugby,ND
Really pumped for DREAM.11. I want to see if Warren can continue his success. Also always fun to Mousasi fight. Hopefully the Miller, Souza fight finally happens without injury or controversy. JZ's always fun to watch too. Should be awesome.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
There are some signs that DREAM 12 (not the upcoming card with the GP finals, the one afterwards) might take place in a cage:

http://nightmareofbattle.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/dream-12-experiment/

Seems plausible given that the cage they show there is a six-sided one like what they use in StrikeForce, who they recently announced a partnership with.

Not sure if it would become a regular thing or not. I kind of like the "feel" of the fights taking place in that white PRIDE-style ring but I do agree that it causes problems sometime.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
Could Dream 11 get even better? According to Junkie it could:

An already-stacked DREAM.11 card could have two notable additions.

According to an event posted recently released by the Japanese-based promotion, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (17-2) and Tatsuya Kawajiri (24-5-2) will apparently be part of the Oct. 6 card.

DREAM.11, which airs on HDNet in North American, takes place at the Yokohama Arena in Kanagawa, Japan, and features the semifinals and finales of both DREAM's featherweight grand prix and open-weight "Super Hulk" tournament.

However, the organization's Web site does not feature the potential additions of Yamamoto and Kawajiri. (And, in fact, neither the Web site nor the poster make mention of the Super Hulk tourney, which may be shifted to a future event date.)

Yamamoto recently returned from a 17-month layoff due to injuries and suffered a split-decision loss to Joe Warren in a featherweight grand prix quarterfinal fight. Prior to the loss, Yamamoto, a longtime K-1 HERO'S/DREAM fighter, had won 14 consecutive fights (12 via stoppage).

Kawajiri, meanwhile, goes for his third straight win and sixth win in seven fights when he returns to competition. The former Shooto and PRIDE fighter most recently fought at DREAM.9, where he topped fellow lightweight Gesias Cavalcante via unanimous decision.

Opponents were not revealed for either competitor.

The latest rumored DREAM.11 card now includes:

Featherweight grand prix finale
"Super Hulk" grand prix finale
Champ Joachim Hansen vs. Shinya Aoki (for DREAM lightweight title)
Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (for vacant DREAM middleweight title)
Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. TBA*
Bibiano Fernanders vs. Joe Warren+
Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Hideo Tokoro+
Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Daiki "DJ.taiki" Hatais^
Hong Man Choi vs. Ikuhisa Minowa#
Gegard Mousasi vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou#
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. TBA
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. TBA

Looking great. :amazed:

I could see Kid being involved in some sort of reserve match and Kawajiri sliding into a rematch with JZ.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I think Kid is going to end up in the final with Warren somehow. Also I don't know if the Superhulk finals are going to be at Dream.11 but it looks great anyways.

The dream tournies usually have the final 2 rounds at the same event, I don't think it would be any different for the freakshow, err, I mean "superhulk" tourney. The final will be a joke anyways, whoever comes out of the Soko/Moussasi fight is claiming the title.

I agree with you on Kid, I have a feeling we could see a Warren/Kid rematch in the final.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
The dream tournies usually have the final 2 rounds at the same event, I don't think it would be any different for the freakshow, err, I mean "superhulk" tourney. The final will be a joke anyways, whoever comes out of the Soko/Moussasi fight is claiming the title.

Similarly I have a hard time seeing either Tokoro or Takaya beating Warren or Fernandes, so I think whoever wins that latter semifinal has it in the bag.

Also I don't see how Kid can possibly make it back into the tourney, they've already announced the reserve match (Miyata vs DJ Taiki) so I don't think he even figures into the picture at this point, you'd need like 2 or 3 guys to get injured. I'm not even convinced that Kawajiri and Kid will fight, sometimes FEG will just put guys on the poster when they don't even have fights booked for them yet. If they do then it'll have to be against mediocre opponents, they've already built up Kawajiri to fight the winner of Hansen/Aoki so they won't want him to lose, and Kid got killed by some no-name guy in K-1 after losing to Warren so you'd figure they'll throw him a softball as well, if he does fight.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
For whatever reason, when interviewed, Joe Warren was convinced that somehow they'd find a way to get Kid back into the tournament to face him in the finals. :dunno:

4thliner*

That card looks great. I can't wait to see the two super hulk semi fights. Mousasi/Sokoudjou should be a war and HMC/Minowa is intriguing and should be fun to watch. I'd love to see them bring in Alvarez to fight JZ but doubt it happens. Otherwise, I'd like to see JZ get a rematch with Kawajiri or give Ribeiro a chance to redeem his 2007 loss to JZ. I'm really hoping that Hellboy lays a beating on Aoki.

Are you nuts?

Sokoudju is a joke with no ground game compared to Gegard. Look at what happened to Sobral who got side controlled easily and ground and pounded to unconsciousness with in seconds And Sobral was the last guy to defeat and submit Soko in rather easy fashion at Affliction.

I predict a quick Gegard triangle or a Kimura, if not TKO punches on the ground. Gegard can stand up with Soko as he proved it under K-1 rules, but he doesn’t need to. Take the fight to the ground and finish him quickly. If at the bottom at any moment triangle, if at the top kimura or even arm triangle/anaconda choke. Soko is very susceptible to the arm triangle as Lyotto and Sobral proved.

Soko has been very disapointing so far since his explosive comming out stint at PRIDE at such a young age, he gt chewed and spitted out by the UFC competition and even in Affliction in a boxing ring instead of UFC cage. Even Team Quest couldn't help him. Needs to improve his ground game IMO. He is a world class judoka guy but I don't see much his translated to MMA.

In all, against Gegard it is a total mismatch, and his only chance is that of a punchers chance. Fight goes to the ground at any time and it is all she wrote.

Last edited by a moderator:

4thliner*

For whatever reason, when interviewed, Joe Warren was convinced that somehow they'd find a way to get Kid back into the tournament to face him in the finals. :dunno:

Speaking of Kid how is the guy's head that was one of the most brutal KO's I've seen in long time at the K-1 max final 8, agains a K-1 first timer non the less. It was nice watching both training partners Yamamotos get KO'd specialy the cocky Norifumi or Kid. Kazuhisa Watanabe beating up on Atsushi Yamamoto was down right hilarious if you know what I mean.

Speaking of K-1, holly smokes Daniel Ghita kicks like a fk mule. Anyone watched the K-1 final 16 qualifying GP in Tokyo? He doesn't need to throw a punch at all to make guys quit. Manhouf as always looked like a beast catching and KO'ing the highly talented Russian kid Ramazan Ramazanov, coolest muslim name ever by the way.

Too bad I couldnt understand a word of the japanese broadcast I got off the net. HDNet didnt carry it to north America. It was a very exciting event all in all, a lot of finishes.

northstarsforever

Jul 9, 2009
Plano TX by Rugby,ND
Speaking of Kid how is the guy's head that was one of the most brutal KO's I've seen in long time at the K-1 max final 8, agains a K-1 first timer non the less. It was nice watching both training partners Yamamotos get KO'd specialy the cocky Norifumi or Kid. Kazuhisa Watanabe beating up on Atsushi Yamamoto was down right hilarious if you know what I mean.

Speaking of K-1, holly smokes Daniel Ghita kicks like a fk mule. Anyone watched the K-1 final 16 qualifying GP in Tokyo? He doesn't need to throw a punch at all to make guys quit. Manhouf as always looked like a beast catching and KO'ing the highly talented Russian kid Ramazan Ramazanov, coolest muslim name ever by the way.

Too bad I couldnt understand a word of the japanese broadcast I got off the net. HDNet didnt carry it to north America. It was a very exciting event all in all, a lot of finishes.

They had it on the Friday after it was like a Monday or Tuesday.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site

Apparently he set the record for fastest GP win ever, something like 5 1/2 minutes to win three fights :amazed:. Rumour is that he's going to fight Schilt in the opening round of the World GP though which will be quite a step up in competition. Can't wait for the opening round, it's at the end of September I think.

edit: Also watching K-1 in Japanese is the way to go, since it means you don't have to listen to Mike Schiavello.

Last edited:

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002

I agree with you on Kid, I have a feeling we could see a Warren/Kid rematch in the final.
It looks like FEG is actually planning to have the Super Hulk finals at the New Year's Eve Dynamite!! show.

4thliner*

Apparently he set the record for fastest GP win ever, something like 5 1/2 minutes to win three fights :amazed:. Rumour is that he's going to fight Schilt in the opening round of the World GP though which will be quite a step up in competition. Can't wait for the opening round, it's at the end of September I think.

edit: Also watching K-1 in Japanese is the way to go, since it means you don't have to listen to Mike Schiavello.

Why you don't like to hear The Big Kabosh or the Jason High getting mounted more times than the Jenna Haze part? :laugh:

I could do without the commentary if the action is nice as long as I can hear the gloves landing and shins hitting the target. But instead of Japanese which I don't understand anyway I'd rather get some commentary in language I can understand.

4thliner*

The K-1 World GP in Korea was shown on Friday (originally took place on August 2nd), but I didn't see the Final 16 Qualifying shown?

Yeah, I didn't see it on HDNet either. I got the full Japannese broadcast in HD from the net like the day after the event.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Why you don't like to hear The Big Kabosh or the Jason High getting mounted more times than the Jenna Haze part? :laugh:

I could do without the commentary if the action is nice as long as I can hear the gloves landing and shins hitting the target. But instead of Japanese which I don't understand anyway I'd rather get some commentary in language I can understand.
I don't mind Schiavello. I shrug him off like I shrugged off Gary Thorne's annoying tendencies in the late-90s. It's nice to have someone so enthusiastic about the sport, though I'll admit, some of his odder sayings have forced a moment of pause.

Guy Mezger on the other hand is a pompous ass seemingly everytime he opens his yap. It's no wonder he and Tito butted heads.

What I like best, however, is the fact that they have so many guest color commentators. Off the top of my head, last year they had Andy Bernardo, Ray Sefo, and Ernesto Hoost, all for the World GP Finals.

4thliner*

I don't mind Schiavello. I shrug him off like I shrugged off Gary Thorne's annoying tendencies in the late-90s. It's nice to have someone so enthusiastic about the sport, though I'll admit, some of his odder sayings have forced a moment of pause.

Guy Mezger on the other hand is a pompous ass seemingly everytime he opens his yap. It's no wonder he and Tito butted heads.

What I like best, however, is the fact that they have so many guest color commentators. Off the top of my head, last year they had Andy Bernardo, Ray Sefo, and Ernesto Hoost, all for the World GP Finals.

What happened to Kimbo in regards to last year, he was there too with those guys for a bit at the GP 2008 final just before the Hari Aerts fight. There was a talk he might give K-1 a try. But I bet after he seen how brutaly punishing the stand up K-1 is compared to MMA he back tracked quick.

hmmm if puny seth petruzelli love tap can knock me out I better not find out what a Badr Hari roundhouse spinning heel kick to the chip could do to me :facepalm:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Are you nuts?

Sokoudju is a joke with no ground game compared to Gegard. Look at what happened to Sobral who got side controlled easily and ground and pounded to unconsciousness with in seconds And Sobral was the last guy to defeat and submit Soko in rather easy fashion at Affliction.
I posted that before he fought Babalu. No one thought he was going to destroy Babalu so easily. I'm sure he will beat Soko with ease too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad