Slovaks of the NHL (July 1st update)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I believe that when Slavomir Lener was the director of Czech hockey, he took a lot of inspiration from how Sweden did it, since he was a coach here for 4 seasons. Like how junior players in Sweden trained and such. Something like that is probably needed in Slovakia too. Have someone open minded who runs the hockey there who takes inspiration from other countries that is having success in forming young hockey players.
Czech youth quality is exactly the same as it was ten years ago, when Lener took over. He finally got replaced this past year, but using him as a go-to example for Slovakia is odd to say the least.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Who's the best Slovakian player in the world now? Cernak? That's such a crazy drop off from where they were ~10 years ago with Hossa, Chara, Gaborik, etc.

Hopefully they turn it around, because international hockey tournaments aren't nearly competitive enough.

1. Tatar
2. Halak
3. Cernak

That's how I'd rank them currently.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Czech youth quality is exactly the same as it was ten years ago, when Lener took over. He finally got replaced this past year, but using him as a go-to example for Slovakia is odd to say the least.
Well, I'm just telling what I heard. I think he got interviewed during some WJC had he said that he tried to change a bunch if things to be more similar to Sweden.

Reactions: Wooren

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Erik Cernak (RFA) and Zdeno Chara (UFA) were the last Slovak free agents on the market. With them signing new deals in the NHL, Slovakia will have a total of 17 players signed to NHL contracts this season. That's the same number as last season. The only player leaving is Peter Cehlarik, who is playing with Leksand of the SHL this year, although Boston qualified him and thus are keeping his rights. The only new player is Robert Lantosi, who was on an AHL deal with Providence last year, but who is now under contract with Boston.

Reactions: Faterson

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I can't speak to their history or how they got there with details about the separation of Czechoslovakia, I think Slovakia's biggest issue is their lack of top end skill at this point. Their best active player is Tatar. Now, nations like Germany and Switzerland have passed them in the production of high end players (Draisaitl & Josi, just to name these two).

A country needs top players to keep its recognition and status.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
More like his great-grandparents were from Slovakia.

just grandparents apparently. Honestly, i just learned about this right now. Did not care about him before, but maybe now i will start to cheer for him a bit.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
More like his great-grandparents were from Slovakia.

Yeah, his smother was born already in Canada.

But this guy from San Jose - Kevin Labanc, has both parents from Slovakia. They moved to USA in 90s.

And there is also Thomas Vanek and i think, there was something about Scott Stevens. Plus others (ideas ?).

Paul and Yan Stastny played for Slovakia U17 national team.

And i think, Stan Mikita isnt the very first player with Slovak roots. There were 2 or more in 50s or 40s. But could not remember their names.

Im sure, i forgot someone.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Adam Ruzicka made his NHL debute for the Flames against the Canucks last night. He played 9:46, had one shot on goal, two penalty minutes and a +1 rating.

Ruzicka became the 10th Slovak to appear in an NHL game this season.

Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I think the Slovakians in general might have benefited from being part of Czechoslovakia (In sports I'm talking). The best player drafted since the year 2000 is Tomas Tatar, let that sink in for a bit.

Oddly enough, my wife's cousin is married to a Slovakian woman, and this past week I spoke to one of her relatives in a birthday party who is a big hockey fan. He mentioned that there's some serious corruption in Slovakian hockey at the moment. He said that a lot of players come from rich families and they're paying their way to the top. Not sure how accurate that is, but sounded interesting nevertheless.

I’ve heard this second hand as well. I’m not sure if Slovakia has corrected or cleaned up the corruption but it sounds like Czechia has.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Update:

As for July 30th, eleven Slovak players are currently under contract in the NHL for next season.

Full list here.

• Maxim Cajkovic (Tampa Bay) and Samuel Knazko (Columbus) have signed ELC's with t

• Richard Panik was traded from Detroit to Long Island.

• Christian Jaros was traded from San José to New Jersey.

• Jaroslav Halak signed a one year contract with Vancouver.

• Martin Marincin has left Toronto and the NHL altogether, and will play for Trinec of the Czech Extraliga next season.

• Robert Lantosi wasn't tendered a QO by Boston, and has signed with Rögle of the SHL.

• I'm not sure weather Boston still owns the rights to Peter Cehlarik or not. Either way, despite a succesful year in the SHL and a good showing at the WC, he's opted not to return to the NHL next season. Instead, he'll play for Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirec04

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Update:

As for July 30th, eleven Slovak players are currently under contract in the NHL for next season.

Full list here.

• Maxim Cajkovic (Tampa Bay) and Samuel Knazko (Columbus) have signed ELC's with t

• Richard Panik was traded from Detroit to Long Island.

• Christian Jaros was traded from San José to New Jersey.

• Jaroslav Halak signed a one year contract with Vancouver.

• Martin Marincin has left Toronto and the NHL altogether, and will play for Trinec of the Czech Extraliga next season.

• Robert Lantosi wasn't tendered a QO by Boston, and has signed with Rögle of the SHL.

• I'm not sure weather Boston still owns the rights to Peter Cehlarik or not. Either way, despite a succesful year in the SHL and a good showing at the WC, he's opted not to return to the NHL next season. Instead, he'll play for Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

Question is, how many of them will regularly play.

Lets pretend, Chara will sign for another year and also Tatar will find a team.

Full roster spot:
- Chara
- Cernak
- Tatar

Backup goalie:
- Halak

Some games left on the bench (performance issues):
- Panik
- Sekera

Youngsters, that will have spot, but not regular:
- Fehervary

Youngsters, that will play some games (max. 20), but mostly in AHL:
- Jaros
- Ruzicka
- Pospisil
- Knazko
- Studenic

Lower Leagues (AHL, ECHL):
- Cajkovic
- Huska
- Durny

Jurco and Dano are questionable. They will go to Europe, i think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvs

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think Fehervary takes a regular spot with Washington this season, and barring what the Devils are doing for the rest of the offseason, Jaros could see a lot of games with them. He's their #7 defenseman right now, and they only have one right handed defenseman (Reilly Walsh) in the AHL pushing for icetime with the big club.

I also think Studenic makes the big club in New Jersey. They just don't have a lot of depth up front right now. But again, things could change depending on what they do in the remainder of the offseason.

Ruzicka and Pospisil will probably spend most of the season in the AHL, but I think both will see some action in the NHL also. Either way, I'm positive about their chances to carve out an NHL career down the line.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
So now with the Devils signing Tatar they are the most Slovak heavy team in the league.

Jaros, Studenic, and Tatar.

I love seeing it and hope all 3 can start.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
So now with the Devils signing Tatar they are the most Slovak heavy team in the league.

Jaros, Studenic, and Tatar.

I love seeing it and hope all 3 can start.

Yeah. The OP was updated with Tatar and Studenic added to the Devils. Also Adam Huska re-signed with the Rangers.

There's currently 14 Slovaks signed to NHL contracts.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Yeah. The OP was updated with Tatar and Studenic added to the Devils. Also Adam Huska re-signed with the Rangers.

There's currently 14 Slovaks signed to NHL contracts.

Oh sorry I missed that. Great news!
I wouldn't mind if the Rangers traded Georgiv (SP) then because it would maybe open up a change for Huska.

Being a goalie myself I love seeing Slovak goalies do well. I have a Halak and Budaj jersey and Huska is probably the next greatest chance.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As I've recently updated my Slovak prospects rankings here, I figured I'd also give an update on the currently signed players in this thread.

Bad news first ...

I asked around on the Isles board, and they seemed to like Richard Panik in the preseason. Yet, he is buried in the AHL where his production is trash. Only two points in 10 games, and he's a minus 8. I watched a Bridgeport game versus Laval recently, and Panik was defenitely snake bitten, being right on the doorstep with an empty goal - twice - but both times an opposing defenseman got a stick in between. Regardless, with his production, he's not making a return to the NHL any time soon.

Andrej Sekera has been a healthy scratch in a lot of games recently for Dallas, but came back with an assist in his last game.

Tomas Tatar only has one goal in 14 games with the Devils, and only six points. But I think some of this has to due with usage. He's still a better player than the offensive output suggests.

Good news, and more importantly, the younger players are doing good.

Erik Cernak has solidified himself as a top 4 defenseman in the last couple of years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Meanwhile Martin Fehervary also remains on good track, and is seeing time on Washington's top pairing next to John Carlson.

With the Devils, Christian Jaros has only appeared in two games, but at least made their team out of camp. That's more than I expected prior to the season. Marian Studenic also made the Devils team out of camp, and I've liked what I've seen from him (as have Devils fans when I've asked them). Still, he was recently sent to the minors, but he's off a good start in Utica with 4 points in 3 games, despite being more of a 2-way forward/grinder type.

Furthermore in the AHL, Martin Pospisil is off a decent start productionwise with the Stockton heat, but once again seems to be injured. Meanwhile, his teammate Adam Ruzicka is dominating the league, having scored 9 goals and 15 points through the 11 first games.

Goaltender Adam Huska is also off a hot start with the Hartford Wolfpack, having a GAA of 1.77 and a SVS% of 93.8 in the first four games, despite two losses.

Martin Chromiak is already signed by the Kings, despite still being in the OHL, where he's off a strong start. He has 20 points (7+13) through the first 14 games with Kingston.

Among other prosepcts, who were already drafted but are still unsigned, are Jakub Demek and David Hrenak who are also off hot starts in the WHL and NCAA respectively.

None of these young players may have high end upside. But if some of these can continue to make strides, they could make for a decent supporting cast behind more talented prospects coming up in the next couple of drafts. While that wouldn't be enough to bring Slovakia back to it's golden age, it'd would certainly make them better than they've been over the last decade.

The full list of current Slovaks signed by NHL teams, is in the OP.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
As I've recently updated my Slovak prospects rankings here, I figured I'd also give an update on the currently signed players in this thread.

Bad news first ...

I asked around on the Isles board, and they seemed to like Richard Panik in the preseason. Yet, he is buried in the AHL where his production is trash. Only two points in 10 games, and he's a minus 8. I watched a Bridgeport game versus Laval recently, and Panik was defenitely snake bitten, being right on the doorstep with an empty goal - twice - but both times an opposing defenseman got a stick in between. Regardless, with his production, he's not making a return to the NHL any time soon.

Andrej Sekera has been a healthy scratch in a lot of games recently for Dallas, but came back with an assist in his last game.

Tomas Tatar only has one goal in 14 games with the Devils, and only six points. But I think some of this has to due with usage. He's still a better player than the offensive output suggests.

Good news, and more importantly, the younger players are doing good.

Erik Cernak has solidified himself as a top 4 defenseman in the last couple of years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Meanwhile Martin Fehervary also remains on good track, and is seeing time on Washington's top pairing next to John Carlson.

With the Devils, Christian Jaros has only appeared in two games, but at least made their team out of camp. That's more than I expected prior to the season. Marian Studenic also made the Devils team out of camp, and I've liked what I've seen from him (as have Devils fans when I've asked them). Still, he was recently sent to the minors, but he's off a good start in Utica with 4 points in 3 games, despite being more of a 2-way forward/grinder type.

Furthermore in the AHL, Martin Pospisil is off a decent start productionwise with the Stockton heat, but once again seems to be injured. Meanwhile, his teammate Adam Ruzicka is dominating the league, having scored 9 goals and 15 points through the 11 first games.

Goaltender Adam Huska is also off a hot start with the Hartford Wolfpack, having a GAA of 1.77 and a SVS% of 93.8 in the first four games, despite two losses.

Martin Chromiak is already signed by the Kings, despite still being in the OHL, where he's off a strong start. He has 20 points (7+13) through the first 14 games with Kingston.

Among other prosepcts, who were already drafted but are still unsigned, are Jakub Demek and David Hrenak who are also off hot starts in the WHL and NCAA respectively.

None of these young players may have high end upside. But if some of these can continue to make strides, they could make for a decent supporting cast behind more talented prospects coming up in the next couple of drafts. While that wouldn't be enough to bring Slovakia back to it's golden age, it'd would certainly make them better than they've been over the last decade.

The full list of current Slovaks signed by NHL teams, is in the OP.

We love Fehervary here in Washington, expect good things from him now and in the future. We affectionately call him "Feverbaby" or "Fever" for short. He's already helped transform the Caps blue line.

Just keep him away from Crosby!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad