WJC: Slovakia preliminary WJC team released

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Goalies:
Marek Čiliak (HK Orange 20/Kometa Brno, CZE)
Tomáš Halász (HK Orange 20/HC Košice)
Tomáš Pék (HC Slovan Bratislava Jr.) 1991

Defense:
Peter Hraško (HK Orange 20/HKm Zvolen) 1991
Henrich Jaborník (HK Orange 20/HK 36 Skalica) 1991
Ivan Jankovič (HK Orange 20/HK 36 Skalica)
Adam JánošÃ­k (Gatineau Olympiques/QMJHL) 1992
Martin Marinčin (HK Orange 20/HC Košice) 1992
Matúš Rais (HK Orange 20/HK K-Cero Nitra)
Michal Šiška (HK Orange 20/HKm Zvolen)
Peter Slimák (HK Orange 20/HC Košice)
Martin Štajnoch (HK Orange 20/HC Slovan Bratislava)

Forwards:

Martin Bakoš (HK Orange 20/HC Slovan Bratislava)
Lukáš Cingel (HK Orange 20/MšHK Žilina) 1992
Jakub Gašparovič (HK Orange 20/Dukla Trenčín)
František Gerhát (HC Litvínov ČR)
Maroš Grošaft (HK Orange 20/HK K-Cero Nitra)
Libor Hudáček (HK Orange 20/HC Slovan Bratislava)
Radoslav Illo (Tri-City Stom, USA/USHL)
Andrej Kudrna (Red Deer Rebels/WHL) 1991
Adam Lapšanský (HK Poprad)
Samuel Mlynarovič (HK Orange 20/HK Poprad)
Richard Pánik (Windsor Spitfires/OHL) 1991
Andrej Šťastný (HK Orange 20/Dukla Trenčín) 1991
Ján Sýkora (HK Orange 20/HC '05 Banská Bystrica)
Tomáš Tatar (Grand Rapids Griffins/AHL)
Martin Uhnák (HK Orange 20/HK K-Cero Nitra)
Michael Vandas (HK Orange 20/HK Poprad) 1991
Marek Viedenský (Prince George Cougars/WHL)

Substitutes:
Matej Kristín (HK Orange 20/HKm Zvolen)
Michal Pichnarčík (HC Košice)
Juraj Majdán (HC Litvínov /ČR)

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
So who besides Tatar and Panik are we supposed to look out for? Tatar makes me shiver every time I hear his name, he was really awesome last year

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
So who besides Tatar and Panik are we supposed to look out for? Tatar makes me shiver every time I hear his name, he was really awesome last year

Marincin is very good NHL prospect.
Hrasko and Sykora could be fan favourite if their plays same way as in Slovakia Extraleague. They are not NHL prospect but I like their heart and competitiveness.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
I wonder if Marek Hrivik stayed with HK Orange 20 if he would be on that roster. Coach Mikes stays true to his word. I am also a bit surprised that Majdan is already listed amongst the substitutes. He is an 18 year old in the O2 Extraliga. I would consider flipping his spot with Cingel, putting the 17 year old in the list of substitutes.

Interesting to see if Jurco was listed there would have been three 17 year olds and a 16 year old. I think the Slovak 2012 U20 team has some potential.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
So is Tomas Jurco too young to play most likely? I know he's a 2011 pick so maybe they wanted older players.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
I too am surprised that Marek Hrivik has been passed over. I have seen him play a couple of times this year on Quebec road trips of Moncton, and he looked solid. Nice shot, nice release, very quick release. I would be shocked if Slovakia really had 12-15 better forwards than him.

CzechExpert or any Slovakia followers, is there any particular reason on why he didn't make it, or just not good enough?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I wonder if Marek Hrivik stayed with HK Orange 20 if he would be on that roster. Coach Mikes stays true to his word. I am also a bit surprised that Majdan is already listed amongst the substitutes. He is an 18 year old in the O2 Extraliga. I would consider flipping his spot with Cingel, putting the 17 year old in the list of substitutes.

Interesting to see if Jurco was listed there would have been three 17 year olds and a 16 year old. I think the Slovak 2012 U20 team has some potential.

Maybe, he would, I assume that Hrivik´s role would be in the bottom 6 and maybe Mikes trusts more with the Orange players with that, with majdan I dunno. Regarding Cingel, well there still be cuts made and I can almost assure you that Cingel most probably will be at the U18 5 nations Tournament during the WJC.;)

So is Tomas Jurco too young to play most likely? I know he's a 2011 pick so maybe they wanted older players.

I suppose that he was considered too young for a top 6 role and well not exactly your guy for a bottom 6.

I think that some of the omissions can be easily understood with the fact that it will be important for us against the stronger teams to defend well, so the bottom 6 spots will go to the Orange guys.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
TATAR SAUCE IS BACK IN ACTION BABYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm expecting Panik to have a strong tournament.

He's been impressive in Windsor (points aside).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Remember:handclap::handclap:

Man I am still upset Janus not going to be there:cry:

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
So who from that list is eligible for the 2010 draft that I should keep an eye on this year?

Certainly:

Adam Jánošík (Gatineau Olympiques/QMJHL)
Martin Marinčin (HK Orange 20/HC KoÅ¡ice)

From the last draft Martin Å tajnoch came very close to being selected, and I was a little surprised that Andrej Å ťastný and Andrej Kudrna were not taken.

zackisonfire

Tatar has been on fire lately for the Griffins. Who knows what to expect out of him against the juniors.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Certainly:

Adam Jánošík (Gatineau Olympiques/QMJHL)
Martin Marinčin (HK Orange 20/HC KoÅ¡ice)

From the last draft Martin Å tajnoch came very close to being selected, and I was a little surprised that Andrej Å ťastný and Andrej Kudrna were not taken.

I have seen Stajnoch twice recently, he is very overweight which limits his mobility.
Stastny is very limited by his skating and he is not smart enough to compensate skating shortage with smartness. Not bad player but not NHL prospect IMO.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Maybe, he would, I assume that Hrivik´s role would be in the bottom 6 and maybe Mikes trusts more with the Orange players with that, with majdan I dunno. Regarding Cingel, well there still be cuts made and I can almost assure you that Cingel most probably will be at the U18 5 nations Tournament during the WJC.;)

I suppose that he was considered too young for a top 6 role and well not exactly your guy for a bottom 6.

I think that some of the omissions can be easily understood with the fact that it will be important for us against the stronger teams to defend well, so the bottom 6 spots will go to the Orange guys.

I expect that Cingel won´t be on final roster.
I´m really surprised that Hrivik isn´t there, he would be fine bottom line player.
As for Jurco, if he had stayed home, he would have been definitely on the roster.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm also surprised by the Hrivik exlusion, I was almost positive he'd be there this year. Anyways, how does this year's Slovak roster compare to previous years?

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I'm also surprised by the Hrivik exlusion, I was almost positive he'd be there this year. Anyways, how does this year's Slovak roster compare to previous years?

This year´s team is particularly weaker in net, all three goalies are very average. I would even say that they are really bad.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I expect that Cingel won´t be on final roster.
I´m really surprised that Hrivik isn´t there, he would be fine bottom line player.
As for Jurco, if he had stayed home, he would have been definitely on the roster.

Well, I already said where Cingel will be in late December ;)

As for Jurčo and Hrivík, I kinda expected those two to be the ones left out, it was clear that tehre would be maximally 5-6 spots given out to CHL guys and Hrivik was hurt by Kudrna having a great season so far a lot. As for him being a fine bottom line player, he was meant to do exactly that last year and didn´t seem to be much comfortable in that role. We already had teams that were crowded with CHL players and it was shown that it is not the right path for us. As for omissions, I personally maybe prefer Majdan over Gerhat, but Gerhat was probably favoured because of being a year older and the fact that Majdan missed the November tourney because of an injury probably didn´t help much either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad