WJC: Slovakia and Austria Rosters

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Does anyone have a listing on Slovakia and Austria's rosters for the World Jr's? They are playing in Humboldt tomorrow night and I'd like to know whose all on the two teams.

Also is there anyone of note on these rosters to really watch for? other then the two usual suspects for Slovakia in Tatar and Panik.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Regarding Slovakia here, the actual roster is on the 1nd page and some people already mentioned who the players to watch for are and Austria is here.

I hope you´ll post some kind of report after the game. ;)

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Regarding Slovakia here, the actual roster is on the 1nd page and some people already mentioned who the players to watch for are and Austria is here.

I hope you´ll post some kind of report after the game. ;)

Thank you kindly.

I have yet to decide whether or not to go tomorrow, I have the full meal deal package in Saskatoon. But I'm thinking about going anyways to support the local rink and give these teams a good crowd, I'm sure it would make it much more appealing to them to have a full house.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
The last I saw the score it was Slovakia 4 Austria 0. I'm not sure if that is a final.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Slovakia blanks Austria in pre-tournament game
Canwest News Service
Published: Sunday, December 20, 2009
HUMBOLDT, Sask. - Facing a mountain of shots, Austria goalies Lorenz Hirn and Marco Wieser kept their team in it as long as possible during a IIHF world junior hockey championship pre-tournament game against Slovakia Sunday night.

Eventually, the Slovakian shooters were able to solve the Austrian goaltenders. The end result was a 4-0 victory before over 1,000 fans at Elgar Petersen Arena.

"Our goalies played terrific," said Austria's captain Dominique Heinrich, whose team returns to the world junior hockey championships' top division this year for the first time since 2004. "But I thought we played a good game. We had to figure out this fast game and we played pretty good.

"It was the first game in Canada and we're looking forward to getting better every game. I'm positive. I think we'll play a good tournament."

Maros Grosaft, Libor Hudacek, Jakub Gasparovic, on a penalty shot, and Matus Rais scored for Slovakia.

"We play really good, but we make big mistakes, turnovers, so we must be better because we will play against better teams," said Tomas Tatar, a slick Slovak forward who was named his team's player of the game.

"We need to be better. He (Hirn) played really good. We had lot of chances. My line, we don't get goals, so we must be better."

Link

Yep, 4-0 final. but it sounds like it could have been higher if it wasn´t for the goalies. Looking at the goal scorers, I suppose oour NA guys need to get used to playing together. Would like to see our line-up in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Any chance that at leats one of the 1000 spectators is a member on here and could give us a little report on the game or do I want too much?

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Interview with Tomas Tatar in Pravda:

There is less than a week to the start of the championships. What do preparations look like?

TT: We have slowly put things together and are now practicing full. There is a good atmosphere in the dressing room which in my opinion is fundamental to success. We are all looking forward to the tournament.

Is this team stronger than the one that finished 4th last year?

TT: They are similar, but this team has perhaps more potential than the team last year. Other than me there are four players that have played in this tournament before (Siska, Viedensky, Stajnoch, and Panik) so we’re more experienced. Getting back to the semi-finals however won’t be easy. Everything last year fell nicely into place for us. If we repeated the tournament again we might be in the relegation round. The tournament system is like that, just a small margin between success and disappointment.

Can you tell in Saskatoon that the tournament is near?

TT: And how! There are newspaper writers everywhere, and everything is ready to go. The only thing is the incredible cold, it is -30 C.
Does it bother you that the championships are again in Canada?
Not me as I play overseas anyhow. This tournament will certainly be different than last years. For me and for the whole team.

In what way?

TT: This time we won’t underestimated and everyone will take us as a difficult opponent. I expect they’ll play against me differently – this time the other teams will notice me.

Last year with seven goals you were the third highest goal scorer of the tournament. Do you have goals set that you would like to reach?

TT: Not at all, I came to help the team. If we’re winning and someone else is scoring the goals it won’t bother me at all. Of course it’s great scoring goals but basically team success if more important.

In the opening group you’ll play against Canada, USA, Switzerland, and Latvia. Do these opponents work for you?

TT: Yes, I think it is a good group to be in. The European teams are weaker and we should beat them. It would be great if we could score some points against the North American teams.

Do you have a prediction where Slovakia will place?

TT: I don’t have a prediction. It depends on how we’ll play against the weaker teams. If we go on to the QF, there will be a chance for a good outcome, but that is still far away. There is a difficult fight ahead.

On Grand Rapids of the AHL you belong amongst the highest scorers. Did your arrival to a league with a North American hockey style cause any problems?

TT: It did, but if you want to be successful in this league you must adapt. Everything here is faster and stronger.

You are the highest scoring Slovak in the AHL. Do you follow your stats?

TT: Not much. I haven’t played too many games yet so it is difficult to compare me with others.

How do your coaches rate your performance so far?

TT: I think they’re satisfied. I get lots of time on the ice which pleases me.

Do the fans recognize you?

TT: Yes, some even wear my jersey.

The WJC might not be it for you this hockey season. Do you believe at all there is a chance you’ll be nominated to the Olympic team in Vancouver?

TT: Difficult question. It is true that things are going well for me, but in my opinion coach Filc has his roster clear in his mind, he has a lot of experienced players. If I were to make it to the team it would be a big surprise.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The WJC might not be it for you this hockey season. Do you believe at all there is a chance you’ll be nominated to the Olympic team in Vancouver?

TT: Difficult question. It is true that things are going well for me, but in my opinion coach Filc has his roster clear in his mind, he has a lot of experienced players. If I were to make it to the team it would be a big surprise.

He got the answer 100% right. So sad but so true. i definitely wouldn´t be shocked even if Filc takes Lintner over a guy like Baranka. :help:

A more detailed article on the SVK-AUT game:
Austrians no match for Slovakian sharp shooters
Darren Zary, The StarPhoenix
Published: Monday, December 21, 2009
SLOVAKIA 4, AUSTRIA 0

You'd expect Slovakia to win this one in a waltz.

Good thing Austria's two goaltenders were hot to trot or it would have been much more lopsided than it was.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Facing a man-made mountain of shots, Austria goalies Lorenz Hirn and Marco Wieser kept their team in the game as long as possible during IIHF world junior hockey championship pre-tournament action Sunday night.

Eventually, the Slovakian shooters were able to solve the Austrian goaltenders. The end result was a 4-0 victory before over 1,000 fans at Elgar Petersen Arena.

"Our goalies played terrific," said Austria's captain Dominique Heinrich, whose team returns to the world junior hockey championships' top division this year for the first time since 2004. "But I thought we played a good game. We had to figure out this fast game and we played pretty good.

"It was the first game in Canada and we're looking forward to getting better every game. I'm positive, I think we'll play a good tournament."

Hirn made an incredible save in the first period, stopping Adam Lapsansky from point-black range after Tomas Tatar played ring-around-the-rosie with a double wrap-around attempt.

Early in the second frame, Hirn robbed Frantisek Gerhat of a goal as he reached his arm back to stop the puck while Gerhat prematurely celebrated.

A short time later, Maros Grosaft lifted a shot over Hirn's outstretched arm during a power play to make it 1-0 at 4:23.

Libor Hudacek made it 2-0 at 10:49, after which Wieser came in and promptly faced a barrage of breakaways. First, he stopped Windsor Spitfire's Richard Panik. He then denied Slovakia captain Jakub Gasparovic, who utilized his speed to create his own breakaway while drawing a penalty shot along the way. Gasparovic scored on the penalty shot to give Slovakia a 3-0 lead after two periods but not before Wieser stopped Tatar twice on partial breakaways.

In the third, Slovakia upped its lead to 4-0 on a rising slapshot by defenceman Matus Rais at 15:38.

"We play really good, but we make big mistakes, turnovers, so we must be better because we will play against better teams," said Tatar, a slick Slovak forward who was named his team's player of the game.

"We need to be better. He (Hirn) played really good. We had lot of chances. My line, we don't get goals, so we must be better."

Austria suffered a major blow in the first period when defenceman Stefan Ulmer -- a member of the Western Hockey League's Spokane Chiefs -- got carried off the ice following a knee-on-knee hit by Slovakia's Martin Stajnoch. It was unknown how serious the injury was, although, at first glance, it looked like it could potentially be tournament-ending. Stajnoch received a five-minute major and game misconduct for his misdeed.

"I feel bad if he's out for the tournament, but we don't know what he has," said Heinrich, as Ulmer limped by after a visit to the local hospital.

Slovakia outshot Austria 43-26.

Slovakia finished fourth at the 2009 world junior hockey championships in Ottawa.

Austria returns to the world junior under-20's top category for the first time since 2004 and for the third time ever. Austria also played at the 1999 tournament.

BREAKAWAYS: Austria, which dropped a pair of pre-tournament exhibition games to Russia 10-5 and 7-5 prior to coming to Canada, will play Switzerland tonight at Prince Albert. Game time is 7 p.m. Elsewhere, Latvia will play Russia tonight at Swift Current. Game time is 7:30 p.m. . . . Next action for the Slovaks is an exhibition game Tuesday night at 7 p.m. against the University of Saskatchewan Huskies at Rutherford Rink on the U of S Campus . . . Austria practised in Martensville on Saturday and at Saskatoon's Agri-Twins Place Arena on Sunday morning before heading out to Humboldt. Slovakia has been holding camp in Prince Albert.

[email protected]

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Any chance that at leats one of the 1000 spectators is a member on here and could give us a little report on the game or do I want too much?

I wasn't able to make the game as I got called in to play a hockey game myself, but from the sounds of it Slovakia played a very dominant game. Austria's goalie was the story of the night, had it not been for him the game could've easily been more lopsided

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Mikes says he will make two cuts after Slovakia plays the university team on Tuesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad