(HKm Nitra),
Richard Kapuš (Metallurg Novokuzneck – Rus.),
Juraj Kolník
(Florida Panthers – NHL),
Martin Bartek
(Matallurg Novokuzneck – Rus.).

Last edited:

joe_shannon_1983*

Where in the world is Zigmund Palffy on that list?

Is he not going to be playing in the Olympics or something?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
ferns8916 said:
Where in the world is Zigmund Palffy on that list?

Is he not going to be playing in the Olympics or something?

In the article they say how Palffy ended his national team career after the world championships in Vienna. Sad! He could have waited 9 more months. I don't understand...

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Palffy ended his national team career after the WC's saying that it is time to give the new generation a chane (he is only 34 so thats a weird statement as there are many older players playing on other teams).

Notable ommision: Richard Lintner.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I've been somewhat impressed by Budaj thus far, in Colorado. While he doesn't start at the moment, do you think there's a chance he could start in Turin fpr Slovakia? After the World Cup and this past World Championships, I've lost some faith in Jan Lasak (despite his outstanding season last season). I honestly feel he has problems dealing with the pressure of facing elite shooters (hence, explaining the weak goal he allowed to Thornton in Vienna).

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Nice list overall. Notables missing: Palffy (obviously), Lintner, Kukumberg, Sechny, Pucher, Hlinka, Stefanka.

joe_shannon_1983*

I (kind of) understand now why Palffy wasn't added to this list.

I say "kind of" because it still wouldn't have hurt to add him, just in case he changed his mind. He probably won't change his mind, but there is always a remote possibility of anything happening, and now he can't play even if he did change his mind.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
12# Peter Bondra said:
Palffy ended his national team career after the WC's saying that it is time to give the new generation a chane (he is only 34 so thats a weird statement as there are many older players playing on other teams).

It's not like there are a ton of talented younger Slovaks who are waiting to get thier shot with the Slovak national team. The "next generation" just isn't that deep. Whichever player fills his spot won't be the kind of player that's going to win the Slovaks any big international tournaments in the future. He might as well stick around and try to win before players like himself, Bondra, Stumpel, Satan and Demitra are gone.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
12# Peter Bondra said:
Palffy ended his national team career after the WC's saying that it is time to give the new generation a chane (he is only 34 so thats a weird statement as there are many older players playing on other teams)
:dunno: :shakehead :dunno:

ferns8916 said:

I say "kind of" because it still wouldn't have hurt to add him, just in case he changed his mind. He probably won't change his mind, but there is always a remote possibility of anything happening, and now he can't play even if he did change his mind.
:teach:

:dunno:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I like Meszaros on the list!

Tricolore, Bondra - do you think he will make the team? He is doing good in Ottawa and there is still enough time to impress (or dissapoint).

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
I've been somewhat impressed by Budaj thus far, in Colorado. While he doesn't start at the moment, do you think there's a chance he could start in Turin fpr Slovakia? After the World Cup and this past World Championships, I've lost some faith in Jan Lasak (despite his outstanding season last season). I honestly feel he has problems dealing with the pressure of facing elite shooters (hence, explaining the weak goal he allowed to Thornton in Vienna).
IF Buday plays over 10 games in the NHL and seals his backup spot in COL, he should be he number one but Lasak may be the no.1 once again even if he doesnt play well due to his previous WC's.

I hope that Budaj is the no.1 though.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
ferns8916 said:

They talked with him a week ago and he still said that he wont go anyway.

I found it weird though that why didnt we name 75 players and wait, why just 51? :dunno:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
cagney said:
It's not like there are a ton of talented younger Slovaks who are waiting to get thier shot with the Slovak national team. The "next generation" just isn't that deep. Whichever player fills his spot won't be the kind of player that's going to win the Slovaks any big international tournaments in the future. He might as well stick around and try to win before players like himself, Bondra, Stumpel, Satan and Demitra are gone.
Agreed. If we had talent on the wings like Russia has then Id understand him but now?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
TORRUS said:
I like Meszaros on the list!

Tricolore, Bondra - do you think he will make the team? He is doing good in Ottawa and there is still enough time to impress (or dissapoint).
I HOPE he does make it. If he doesnt Ill be :madfire: times 100.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
If only Slovakia could get a hot Goalie I think the whole team would play better infront of him. I watched Budaj play last night against Vancouver, and while he lost, I think one day he could develop into a starting goalie.
I'm very disappointed with Palffy, and team Slovakia. If Budaj, or another goalie, starts playing well he will regret not going.
Why not add him to the list and try to convince him to play?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As a Sens fan who has seen every game so far (including most of the pre-season), I can't say enough good things about Andrej Mezsaros.

He has a very smart hockey mind, can play physical, can move the puck, has a good shot, and best of all, he seems to be excellent at checking incoming forwards without drawing penalties.

This kid could teach defencemen how to play in the new NHL.

I was initially amazed that he made the team after pre-season (since he is so young) but now I can't imagine what the team would look like without him.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
NyQuil said:
As a Sens fan who has seen every game so far (including most of the pre-season), I can't say enough good things about Andrej Mezsaros.

He has a very smart hockey mind, can play physical, can move the puck, has a good shot, and best of all, he seems to be excellent at checking incoming forwards without drawing penalties.

This kid could teach defencemen how to play in the new NHL.

I was initially amazed that he made the team after pre-season (since he is so young) but now I can't imagine what the team would look like without him.

Great to hear that! Who is he paired with in Ottawa?

espo*

I bet Pallfy ends up changing his tune and plays in Torino. He'll be there.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
cyclops said:
I bet Pallfy ends up changing his tune and plays in Torino. He'll be there.

As of what I understand he can't participate if he's not on that list. Feels strange they left him out whatever he says though, wouldn't hurt anyone if he just was named.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
TORRUS said:
Great to hear that! Who is he paired with in Ottawa?

Right now he's the "6th defenceman" playing with Brian Pothier, but most Sens fans think he is playing much better than Pothier, the 5th d-man, and makes fewer mistakes than Volchenkov, the 4th d-man, although Anton has been very physical so far.

Ottawa's defence is pretty deep, with Chara, Redden and Phillips, so on most other teams he would be top 4 for sure.

I think that Andrej made the team when Ottawa played him in 3 straight games in 3 nights in pre-season, and in the final game, he had the most ice-time of all Senators players (27 minutes). They wanted to challenge him and he rose to the challenge.

A very exciting prospect for us in Ottawa and for Slovakian fans as well.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Mr Kanadensisk said:
If only Slovakia could get a hot Goalie I think the whole team would play better infront of him. I watched Budaj play last night against Vancouver, and while he lost, I think one day he could develop into a starting goalie.
I'm very disappointed with Palffy, and team Slovakia. If Budaj, or another goalie, starts playing well he will regret not going.
Why not add him to the list and try to convince him to play?
Would be no use for it. He'd just deny again.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
NyQuil said:
Right now he's the "6th defenceman" playing with Brian Pothier, but most Sens fans think he is playing much better than Pothier, the 5th d-man, and makes fewer mistakes than Volchenkov, the 4th d-man, although Anton has been very physical so far.

Ottawa's defence is pretty deep, with Chara, Redden and Phillips, so on most other teams he would be top 4 for sure.

I think that Andrej made the team when Ottawa played him in 3 straight games in 3 nights in pre-season, and in the final game, he had the most ice-time of all Senators players (27 minutes). They wanted to challenge him and he rose to the challenge.

A very exciting prospect for us in Ottawa and for Slovakian fans as well.
Agreed on the last part. I wondered how he fell so far in the 04 draft. He was in our Men's League at the age of 17 so he is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad