Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
No chance for Martin Bodak? He was passed on before so he's a year older than most, but was the leading scorer among defensemen for Kootenay Ice this season. I've really liked his game in the last couple of WHJC's.

There is always a chance. We cant see any NHL teams rating lists. Maybe some team will spend late pick for him. But still, there i would say, it is only 10 % chance, he will be drafted this year. This is maybe the next Free Agent signing.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Im very curious about Pospisil. He seems to be one little pest on the field. But with hockey skills.
In the last USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, there were some tests. And Pospisil was the 3. most skilled guy, if we could say it so. Here the results.
Maybe he could attract some interest from NHL teams. They could transform him to good and useful player.

The Calgary Flames drafted Pospisil with their first selection of the draft. His former coach is on the Flames scouting staff. Anyhow, about 15 minutes later, the Flames traded a 2019 pick for the 122nd pick this year, which they used to draft Milos Roman.:)

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The Calgary Flames drafted Pospisil with their first selection of the draft. His former coach is on the Flames scouting staff. Anyhow, about 15 minutes later, the Flames traded a 2019 pick for the 122nd pick this year, which they used to draft Milos Roman.:)

Ruzicka - Roman - Pospisil in 2022/2023. Will be nice to see.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Ruzicka - Roman - Pospisil in 2022/2023. Will be nice to see.
you're right, that would be amazing.:) it reminds me of the cycling Slovaks, the Blues 1999-00 line of Bartecko-Handzus-Demitra. Let's hope it happens!

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Five Slovaks were drafted on Day 2 of the NHL draft this year:

Rnd 2 #46 D Martin Fehervary to Washington Capitals
Rnd 4 #105 F Martin Pospisil to Calgary Flames
Rnd 4 #122 F Milos Roman to Calgary Flames
Rnd 5 #144 G David Hrenak to Los Angeles Kings
Rnd 5 #147 G Roman Durny to Anaheim Ducks

Until now this has only happened twice since 2005 - in 2009 and most recently in 2013 in the years when Slovakia exceptionally made it to the Top 4 at the WJC.

The Flames have drafted a couple of Slovak forwards and I wonder whether it has something to do with Marian Studenic's post draft performance. While it's cool to see three Slovaks in the same NHL organisation, I do worry a bit about the fact that they will be in competition to each other when it comes to making it to the big league eventually.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Five Slovaks were drafted on Day 2 of the NHL draft this year:

Rnd 2 #46 D Martin Fehervary to Washington Capitals
Rnd 4 #105 F Martin Pospisil to Calgary Flames
Rnd 4 #122 F Milos Roman to Calgary Flames
Rnd 5 #144 G David Hrenak to Los Angeles Kings
Rnd 5 #147 G Roman Durny to Anaheim Ducks

Until now this has only happened twice since 2005 - in 2009 and most recently in 2013 in the years when Slovakia exceptionally made it to the Top 4 at the WJC.

The Flames have drafted a couple of Slovak forwards and I wonder whether it has something to do with Marian Studenic's post draft performance. While it's cool to see three Slovaks in the same NHL organisation, I do worry a bit about the fact that they will be in competition to each other when it comes to making it to the big league eventually.
Nice to see this happening, btw Studenic is in the Devils organization, I believe you were thinking of Ruzicka. In next years draft there will probably only be one maybe two players drafted, however one of those is Maxim Cajkovic who has a good chance of being in the 1st round

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Good summer for Slovak hockey so far.

Rybar and Bakos signed by NHL teams. Studenic earning a contract with the Devils. Five players drafted, including one in the 2nd round.

By comparison Switzerland had 4 draftees (non sooner than the 4th round), Germany had 2 and Denmark and Latvia both had 0.

I was hoping someone would take a flyer on Bodak with a late round pick though. Was he invited to some team's rookie camp?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Rybar and Bakos signed by NHL teams. Studenic earning a contract with the Devils. Five players drafted, including one in the 2nd round.

By comparison Switzerland had 4 draftees (non sooner than the 4th round), Germany had 2 and Denmark and Latvia both had 0.

I was hoping someone would take a flyer on Bodak with a late round pick though. Was he invited to some team's rookie camp?
Las Vegas Knights I believe. Michal Ivan got invited to LA development camp as well.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia

+ Cajkovic taken first overall in CHL draft

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Las Vegas Knights I believe. Michal Ivan got invited to LA development camp as well.

That's probably the best possible team he could have gotten an invite from. I know teams rarely sign undrafted prospects from the development camps, but Vegas don't have a ton of prospects who are 20+ and eligiable for the AHL/ECHL. So maybe Bodak has a chance, or maybe can get an AHL deal and take that route.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
The Slovak U20 team has won the Summer Hockey Challenge in Zurich Switzerland. The squad defeated the Czech U19s by a score of 5-4. Eighteen year old Andrej Kukuca, selected 29th in the CHL import draft by the Seattle Thunderbirds, scored late to send the game into overtime. Kukuca was selected to the team after Milos Roman was unable to participate due to injury. Filip Krivosik decided the game in the shootout.

The Slovaks got past the Swiss U20 team thanks to three third period goals, eventually winning 3-1. In the final game, The Slovak U20 team dumped the German U20 team by a 5-1 score.

Some stats: Patrik Hrehorčák had 4 goals and 1 assist in three games. Second round NHL draft pick Martin Fehérváry had 1 goal and 1 assist for the tournament. Filip Krivošík was 2+1, Martin Pospíšil 0+2, Andrej Kukuča 2+0.

Notable players not there: Adam Ružička was busy in North America. CHL 1st overall selection in import draft Maxim Cajkovic is with the Slovak U18 squad.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Liska is returning to Slovakia and will play in the KHL. World junior team next year could be very solid, hopefully 99’s continue to develop. Bodak will be big loss. But forwards should be better. Kostelny looks to be goalie

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
The Slovak U20 team has won the Summer Hockey Challenge in Zurich Switzerland. The squad defeated the Czech U19s by a score of 5-4. Eighteen year old Andrej Kukuca, selected 29th in the CHL import draft by the Seattle Thunderbirds, scored late to send the game into overtime. Kukuca was selected to the team after Milos Roman was unable to participate due to injury. Filip Krivosik decided the game in the shootout.

The Slovaks got past the Swiss U20 team thanks to three third period goals, eventually winning 3-1. In the final game, The Slovak U20 team dumped the German U20 team by a 5-1 score.

Some stats: Patrik Hrehorčák had 4 goals and 1 assist in three games. Second round NHL draft pick Martin Fehérváry had 1 goal and 1 assist for the tournament. Filip Krivošík was 2+1, Martin Pospíšil 0+2, Andrej Kukuča 2+0.

Notable players not there: Adam Ružička was busy in North America. CHL 1st overall selection in import draft Maxim Cajkovic is with the Slovak U18 squad.

And other notable players: Milos Roman, Jozef Balaz, Martin Kupec and also Oliver Okuliar, Fafrak and maybe Stacho

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Disappointing loss to the Czechs in the fifth place game but overall a pretty good tournament, we are at least still quite ahead of the Swiss at the u18 level. Which means we still would slot in at 7 overall. Cajkovic is pretty much a lock for the world junior team but i wonder if anyone else from u18 gets selected

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Disappointing loss to the Czechs in the fifth place game but overall a pretty good tournament, we are at least still quite ahead of the Swiss at the u18 level. Which means we still would slot in at 7 overall. Cajkovic is pretty much a lock for the world junior team but i wonder if anyone else from u18 gets selected
He is definitely not a lock

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
He is definitely not a lock
You think we have 8 better wingers in 99 and 2000 age group? Studenic and bucek are gone. I’d take him over fasko rudas, fafrak, and most likely liska (unless he has developed). We need more scorers and less grinders in bottom 6 which has hurt us in almost all of the quarter finals games in past years.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
As mentioned above, 4-2 losses to Sweden and Canada, a 5-3 win over Switzerland, and finally an 8-3 loss to the Czechs. The shots on net are troubling. David Borak stopped 54 of 58 shots vs Canada, and 50 of 58 shots for the Czechs, while Kozel stopped 40 of 44 versus Sweden. In the four games, Michal Mrázik led the team with 3 goals and 3 assists, while his linemate Chromiak had 2 goals and 2 assists. Also with two goals and two assists in four games was Maxim Čajkovič. Turan led the defenseman in scoring with 1 goal and 2 assists.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
You think we have 8 better wingers in 99 and 2000 age group? Studenic and bucek are gone. I’d take him over fasko rudas, fafrak, and most likely liska (unless he has developed). We need more scorers and less grinders in bottom 6 which has hurt us in almost all of the quarter finals games in past years.
I dont, but Bokros surely does

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Michal Ivan is attending Kings camp on a try-out. Martin Bodak was with the Vegas Golden Knights on their rookie camp which concluded yesterday. Unfortunately he's not listed on Vegas main camp roster, but I suspect he will be invited to the Chicago Wolves training camp. Not a prospect, but if someone missed it Michal Cajovsky is going to the Carolina Hurricanes on a PTO.

james12

Mar 31, 2018
I've prepared a list of young talented Slovaks who have really impressed me so far. I had been anlysing them for a while so I can state that slovak hockey will, hopefully, rise again. To start, I'm posting goaltending core.

Goaltenders:
01: Samuel Hlavaj, Patrik Kozel, David Borak
02: Simon Latkoczy
04: Rastislav Elias

Kozel and Borak were solid at Hlinka. Both have great swiftness and move. Borak was tremendous against Canada with his desperate saves. Kozel did so great job for the team against Sweden that it'd be 8:2 eventually without him.
Both possess one specific weakness: Upper level shots.

Hlavaj is big 6'2" goalie. He absolutely fills the net(literally) with confidence. Good reflexes, quite solid movement. Since I've seen him only once I ain't go into further analysis.

Latkoczy and Eliáš are goalies from younger generation so there's a long road ahead of them. Latkoczy reminds me of Jonathan Quick since he's small type of G (5'10''). Elias seems to me like a real deal. I've never seen as talented goalie at this age as him (within Slovakia).

Thanks for attention.

Reactions: Elvs and Wooren

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Huska, Tomek, Durny, Hrenak and Godla all have upside. At least one or two of them should turn out to be good goalies. If not NHL level at least good goalies in Europe and for the National Team. Godla is off a great start in Liiga. And based on your analysis more talent is on the way. The goalie position is the one position that Slovakia shouldn't have to worry about for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->