Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Čajkovič profiled by Bernd Freimüller:

Pro: Good footwork, can outdeke opponents. Hard and accurate shot.
Con: Several red flags, apart from the fact he was thrown out of the Slovak U20 national team. At times invisible, his quite good skills hardly amount to something tangible. No strong net-drive, a lot of perimeter play, not very dynamic. Wins few one-on-one battles defensively. A tease? (Looks tempting with his skills, but disappoints you.)
State as of now: Not a top-line player in the ICE Hockey League, but has earned himself quality ice time prior to the WJC camp. Under the new coaches he starts from zero again. At the moment more ECHL level than AHL.
Three-year prediction: If he sees the light he can play on an AHL scoring line. If it's a big light and with strong support by Tampa then he could even get a call-up to the NHL. But it's more likely he stays in Europe.

Source (in German): https://www.laola1.at/de/red/winter...wie-sieht-die-zukunft-der-nhl-leihgaben-aus-/

Reactions: hellwar9

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Anyone on this thread have any idea where I can get a blue Nike (current) Slovakia jersey either in or shipped to Canada?

I want to eventually have a jersey for each country a Senator represented and I love the current Slovakia ones and want to get one customized with Jaros.

Mato94

Apr 11, 2020
Bratislava, Slovakia
I only see three Slovak prospects listed by NHL Central Scouting for the 2021 Draft: Robert Bačo (F), Šimon Bečár (D) and Šimon Groch (D), all named as fourth to sixth round prospects. The 2021 Draft is not looking promising for Slovakia at all.

List here: https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/320582316/binary-file/file.pdf
There are actually four, Maroš Jedlička (F) is a Slovak player as well. It’s strange Oleksiy Myklukha (F) is not on the list anymore.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What an absolute joke of a draft. Players from the OJHL and CCHL drafted over someone ranked 3rd out of all NA Goalies :laugh:
Considering you were most likely referring to Levi being drafted this has aged rather horribly. Turns out, sometimes professional scouts know what they are doing and don't draft by the league tag.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Draft 2021 will be weak for Slovakia. I don't see much light. But we all know that 2022 and 2023 should be great. Personally, I see it this way, I would make such an overview of my observations and this is my list of players who will or could theoretically be drafted.

2021 - 0 players are expected. But personally, I'm a little optimistic. I think at least 1 player could be drafted.

C/LW OLEKSII MYKLUKHA - He has some good smarts, he sees the ice well. He’ll also need to bulk up as he moves on to the next levels. Really great for bully, we saw at WJC. I expect he should be somewhere at the level of the 4th - 5th round. However, the boy is talented, he can be steal a couple of years after the draft.

G SIMON LATKOCZY - Overager, but he had a great WJC. He not only once proved his audience with his saves. He has good athleticism, so he recovers quickly and gets himself square to the shooter on rebound attempts. Like most young goaltenders, he must find a level of consistency, but he doesn't have to be a bad choice in the last rounds

D MARKO STACHA -
Another overager, Stacha is a two-way defender with an active stick who has plenty of experience from the top tier slovak men's league. I expect that after the start of the WHL he will immediately rank among the best defenders of the league. In my opinion, he was ignored last draft, but I will not be surprised if he passes the 6th or 7th round this year.

C MAROS JEDLICKA - Perhaps the biggest surprise for me this season. Very hard working player. I like his energy on the both sides, he shows two - way potential. At the WJC he also played above my expectations, he could get more icetime. I don't think he will pass the draft, but there is a chance for the 6th - 7th round.

C ALEX GECI - A type of player like Adam Ruzicka, but he can be even better in the future. Geci flashes serious offensive skill, his vision is acute and his passes are crisp. His wrist shot is equally impressive in terms of both power and accuracy. I don't think he will be drafted in 2021, he hasn't played a single match this season yet. However, in 2022 he could actually pass as an overager in the mid to last rounds.

D SIMON GROCH, D SIMON BECAR, RW ROBERT BACO, RW/LW LUBOMIR KUPCO, RW JAKUB DEMEK, LW MAREK SRAMATY, C MARCEL STEFANCIK, RW/LW LIBOR NEMEC - All these boys without a draft. All of them belong to the best as far as Slovakia in the year of birth 2003, but neither of them currently has a draft performance and it will probably not change in a few months at the time of the draft. They will have a chance in a 2022 draft to surprise. Maybe one of them can do it, I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

2022 - After years of embarrassment, it could be an excellent draft for Slovakia. I expect currently 5-7 players. when I return here after the draft 2022, I will be wondering if I was right

D SIMON NEMEC - As a 16 year old play regularly for men and that's not all. He was the best Slovak defender at WJC 2021. Also besides that he is one of the best defenders in his club. He is calm and makes right decisions. He is really one of the best all-around Slovak defense prospects to ever come along. Maybe a new Lubomir Visnovsky? We will see. He has the best prerequisites for that. The first round in 2022 and I will not be surprised if if he goes in the overall top 15.

W/C JURAJ SLAFKOVSKY - The most offensive Slovak talent since the time of Marian Gaborik. Even though he did not score a single point on the WJC, he certainly attracted everyone with his active play in every shift. Overall, everywhere he plays he generating offense in majority of his shifts. He has a soft touch on the puck, as well as great vision and offensive instincts. His play without the puck is also very impressive. His wrist shot is literally deadly, he should use it more often. He has a lot of potential. In my opinion, he will be the second Slovak player to go in the first round in 2022. His weakness is the skating, especially the first 3 steps. If he improves this, he will be beast and he could also be in the top 10.

W/C FILIP MESAR - The speed and skill is what Mesar brings. He sees the ice well and makes plays in the offensive zone in every shift. He can perfectly create lanes and opportunities for teammates. He was only 17 years old recently, but it is he who is making a lot of great things in the attack in his home club in the top tier of the slovak men's league. His play in the power play reminds us of the former Slovak talent Martin Reway, with the difference that Filip Mesar is a level better skater and can work much better with the puck at speed. Huge upside, in fact, he may end up better than Juraj Slafkovsky a few years after the draft and I will not be surprised. Currently he can go at the end of the first round, but also in the 2nd - 3rd round. However, the boy is a natural talent, he can jump in his D season, and he can finally go around 20.

C/W SERVAC PETROVSKY - Petrovsky is a decent skater, but this is not a stand-out area of his game. He is typologically sniper. He has an outstanding wrist shot and lightning-quick release and also has an excellent slap shot and one-timer. He has the quick hands and also makes smart plays with and without the puck. He has all the tools necessary to score goals at the NHL one day if it progresses as expected. As a center, he needs few years continuing to work on his defensive play. He has has excellent bully, in the men's league he is over 70% at the age of 16. He does not have a certainty in draft, but if he improves the details in his game, he can go in the 2nd - 4th round.

LW/RW ADAM ZLNKA - Zlnka is best skater in the entire Slovak draft class. He has very good acceleration. He adds to his impressive skating with the soft hands and quick stickhandling to control the puck while moving at top speed and making his quick cuts. Also has good vision and stickhandling. Like Servac Petrovsky, he does not have a certainty in draft, but also like him, he can go somewhere at the level of the 2nd - 4th round.

C/W PATRIK GABRIEL - Another very creative player in the offensive zone. He has excellent hockey IQ, he reads the play well. With excellent stickhandling ability, Gabriel can extend plays and give his linemates the time to get open. One Slovak coach said that he is the greatest talent he coached in his coaching career. At best, he could, like Petrovsky and Zlnka, go around the 2nd - 4th round, but I expect him to go lower. I think if he will be drafted, he will be somewhere around the 4th - 5th round.

G RASTISLAV ELIAS - For me, he is the best Slovak netminder prospect since Jaroslav Halak. Good size, good concentration, very cool and calm. Hits all the markers – size, composure, puck-tracking, elasticity, and competitive fire. For Slovakia, Elias is a really special goalie prospect. The corona virus slowed down his development and he had to stay in Slovakia. However, the numbers he achieves in the nation's U18 project do not reflect performance. I don't know what his position on the draft is currently estimated, but he should be drafted. Just as it can be the 2nd round, it can also be the 7th round. For goalkeepers, however, the position is not so important.

RW/LW ADAM SYKORA - Not a very tall forward, but still very smart. He can stand to add more lower-body strength. He is good skater and also has good agility. Like Mesar and Nemec, he played several matches in the top tier slovak men's league and did not look lost at all, on the contrary, he was only surprised by his performances. He is September 2004, one of the youngest players in the entire draft. There is still plenty of room for progress. Theoretically, he could go somewhere in the second half of the draft, the 4th - 7th round is realistic, if he will be drafted.

RW ALEX SOTEK - Good vision, ridiculous wrist shot. Finishing around the net could be an area he needs to work on. As for the attack, he is a great player, on the contrary, as for the defense he looks lost. At the beginning of this season he had an injury, and it took him a few months to get into the game well, but today, as far as the offensive phase is concerned, he is in a similar situation to Petrovsky and Zlnka. At the moment I don't expect him to be drafted. However, if he makes a big progress in a year and a half, he can be a good choice in later rounds, or he can act as an overager a year later, in 2023.

C/W PETER REPCIK - He has very good edgework and agility. Very hard - working player. Most of his points come as a result of his hard work. He also has some playmaking skills. Has made great progress in the last six months, I like players who work hard on themselves. He probably won't be drafted, but if he continues to progress like the last 6 months, he may surprise everyone.

D JOZEF VILIAM KMEC, D DAVID NATNY, D ADAM KREMNICKY, D MARIAN MOSKO, D LUCA KRAKOVSKY, D RICHARD PATZELT, G PATRIK JURCAK, C ALEX RENE BARTAKOVICS, C MARKUS SUCHY, C JAKUB PLEVKA, C OLIVER STUMPEL, W BORIS BABELIAK, RW PATRIK SOKOLI - All these boys without a draft. Each of them excels in something, but nothing special for the draft.

2023 - It may be another excellent draft for Slovakia after 2022. In an optomistic scenario, it may be even slightly better. However, it is still very far away. Two and a half years is a long time. At the moment I see it this way, but in a year it may look completely different. But I will try just so simply. There are currently three Slovaks who, in my opinion, have a real chance for the first round. The first of them is C DALIBOR DVORSKY. The guy can create chances, he can read the game, he wins the bully, he skates well, he plays well with the puck but also without the puck. His position game, hockey IQ, stickhandling, I was really surprised and fascinated. Despite his young age, he looks really mature on the ice. The second player who could go, in my opinion, in the first round is LW/RW ONDREJ MOLNAR. He is speedy winger with good shot. He reminds me a lot of Gaborik when he was young. Definitely an interesting player to watch for next season. The third player who could go in the first round is RW ALEX CIERNIK. Dynamic wing, he has a feel for passing, he has a decent shot and skating. He has made really big progress over the last 2 seasons and today he is slightly underrated, despite the fact that he is one of the best players in Sweden at his age. I would finish it with a four, which could be in the 2nd or lower round. D MAXIM STRBAK, RW/LW FRANTISEK RIDZON, LW/RW DANIEL ALEXANDER JENCKO and LW SAMUEL SISIK. Strbak looks like a modern two-way defender, and the three attackers have really good playmaker abilities. I saw all fours play, they have potential and a pretty good chance for the draft. It will be interesting to watch them next season.

We believe that Slovakia is expecting better hockey times.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Draft 2021 will be weak for Slovakia. I don't see much light. But we all know that 2022 and 2023 should be great. Personally, I see it this way, I would make such an overview of my observations and this is my list of players who will or could theoretically be drafted.

2021 - 0 players are expected. But personally, I'm a little optimistic. I think at least 1 player could be drafted.

C/LW OLEKSII MYKLUKHA - He has some good smarts, he sees the ice well. He’ll also need to bulk up as he moves on to the next levels. Really great for bully, we saw at WJC. I expect he should be somewhere at the level of the 4th - 5th round. However, the boy is talented, he can be steal a couple of years after the draft.

G SIMON LATKOCZY - Overager, but he had a great WJC. He not only once proved his audience with his saves. He has good athleticism, so he recovers quickly and gets himself square to the shooter on rebound attempts. Like most young goaltenders, he must find a level of consistency, but he doesn't have to be a bad choice in the last rounds

D MARKO STACHA -
Another overager, Stacha is a two-way defender with an active stick who has plenty of experience from the top tier slovak men's league. I expect that after the start of the WHL he will immediately rank among the best defenders of the league. In my opinion, he was ignored last draft, but I will not be surprised if he passes the 6th or 7th round this year.

C MAROS JEDLICKA - Perhaps the biggest surprise for me this season. Very hard working player. I like his energy on the both sides, he shows two - way potential. At the WJC he also played above my expectations, he could get more icetime. I don't think he will pass the draft, but there is a chance for the 6th - 7th round.

C ALEX GECI - A type of player like Adam Ruzicka, but he can be even better in the future. Geci flashes serious offensive skill, his vision is acute and his passes are crisp. His wrist shot is equally impressive in terms of both power and accuracy. I don't think he will be drafted in 2021, he hasn't played a single match this season yet. However, in 2022 he could actually pass as an overager in the mid to last rounds.

D SIMON GROCH, D SIMON BECAR, RW ROBERT BACO, RW/LW LUBOMIR KUPCO, RW JAKUB DEMEK, LW MAREK SRAMATY, C MARCEL STEFANCIK, RW/LW LIBOR NEMEC - All these boys without a draft. All of them belong to the best as far as Slovakia in the year of birth 2003, but neither of them currently has a draft performance and it will probably not change in a few months at the time of the draft. They will have a chance in a 2022 draft to surprise. Maybe one of them can do it, I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

2022 - After years of embarrassment, it could be an excellent draft for Slovakia. I expect currently 5-7 players. when I return here after the draft 2022, I will be wondering if I was right

D SIMON NEMEC - As a 16 year old play regularly for men and that's not all. He was the best Slovak defender at WJC 2021. Also besides that he is one of the best defenders in his club. He is calm and makes right decisions. He is really one of the best all-around Slovak defense prospects to ever come along. Maybe a new Lubomir Visnovsky? We will see. He has the best prerequisites for that. The first round in 2022 and I will not be surprised if if he goes in the overall top 15.

W/C JURAJ SLAFKOVSKY - The most offensive Slovak talent since the time of Marian Gaborik. Even though he did not score a single point on the WJC, he certainly attracted everyone with his active play in every shift. Overall, everywhere he plays he generating offense in majority of his shifts. He has a soft touch on the puck, as well as great vision and offensive instincts. His play without the puck is also very impressive. His wrist shot is literally deadly, he should use it more often. He has a lot of potential. In my opinion, he will be the second Slovak player to go in the first round in 2022. His weakness is the skating, especially the first 3 steps. If he improves this, he will be beast and he could also be in the top 10.

W/C FILIP MESAR - The speed and skill is what Mesar brings. He sees the ice well and makes plays in the offensive zone in every shift. He can perfectly create lanes and opportunities for teammates. He was only 17 years old recently, but it is he who is making a lot of great things in the attack in his home club in the top tier of the slovak men's league. His play in the power play reminds us of the former Slovak talent Martin Reway, with the difference that Filip Mesar is a level better skater and can work much better with the puck at speed. Huge upside, in fact, he may end up better than Juraj Slafkovsky a few years after the draft and I will not be surprised. Currently he can go at the end of the first round, but also in the 2nd - 3rd round. However, the boy is a natural talent, he can jump in his D season, and he can finally go around 20.

C/W SERVAC PETROVSKY - Petrovsky is a decent skater, but this is not a stand-out area of his game. He is typologically sniper. He has an outstanding wrist shot and lightning-quick release and also has an excellent slap shot and one-timer. He has the quick hands and also makes smart plays with and without the puck. He has all the tools necessary to score goals at the NHL one day if it progresses as expected. As a center, he needs few years continuing to work on his defensive play. He has has excellent bully, in the men's league he is over 70% at the age of 16. He does not have a certainty in draft, but if he improves the details in his game, he can go in the 2nd - 4th round.

LW/RW ADAM ZLNKA - Zlnka is best skater in the entire Slovak draft class. He has very good acceleration. He adds to his impressive skating with the soft hands and quick stickhandling to control the puck while moving at top speed and making his quick cuts. Also has good vision and stickhandling. Like Servac Petrovsky, he does not have a certainty in draft, but also like him, he can go somewhere at the level of the 2nd - 4th round.

C/W PATRIK GABRIEL - Another very creative player in the offensive zone. He has excellent hockey IQ, he reads the play well. With excellent stickhandling ability, Gabriel can extend plays and give his linemates the time to get open. One Slovak coach said that he is the greatest talent he coached in his coaching career. At best, he could, like Petrovsky and Zlnka, go around the 2nd - 4th round, but I expect him to go lower. I think if he will be drafted, he will be somewhere around the 4th - 5th round.

G RASTISLAV ELIAS - For me, he is the best Slovak netminder prospect since Jaroslav Halak. Good size, good concentration, very cool and calm. Hits all the markers – size, composure, puck-tracking, elasticity, and competitive fire. For Slovakia, Elias is a really special goalie prospect. The corona virus slowed down his development and he had to stay in Slovakia. However, the numbers he achieves in the nation's U18 project do not reflect performance. I don't know what his position on the draft is currently estimated, but he should be drafted. Just as it can be the 2nd round, it can also be the 7th round. For goalkeepers, however, the position is not so important.

RW/LW ADAM SYKORA - Not a very tall forward, but still very smart. He can stand to add more lower-body strength. He is good skater and also has good agility. Like Mesar and Nemec, he played several matches in the top tier slovak men's league and did not look lost at all, on the contrary, he was only surprised by his performances. He is September 2004, one of the youngest players in the entire draft. There is still plenty of room for progress. Theoretically, he could go somewhere in the second half of the draft, the 4th - 7th round is realistic, if he will be drafted.

RW ALEX SOTEK - Good vision, ridiculous wrist shot. Finishing around the net could be an area he needs to work on. As for the attack, he is a great player, on the contrary, as for the defense he looks lost. At the beginning of this season he had an injury, and it took him a few months to get into the game well, but today, as far as the offensive phase is concerned, he is in a similar situation to Petrovsky and Zlnka. At the moment I don't expect him to be drafted. However, if he makes a big progress in a year and a half, he can be a good choice in later rounds, or he can act as an overager a year later, in 2023.

C/W PETER REPCIK - He has very good edgework and agility. Very hard - working player. Most of his points come as a result of his hard work. He also has some playmaking skills. Has made great progress in the last six months, I like players who work hard on themselves. He probably won't be drafted, but if he continues to progress like the last 6 months, he may surprise everyone.

D JOZEF VILIAM KMEC, D DAVID NATNY, D ADAM KREMNICKY, D MARIAN MOSKO, D LUCA KRAKOVSKY, D RICHARD PATZELT, G PATRIK JURCAK, C ALEX RENE BARTAKOVICS, C MARKUS SUCHY, C JAKUB PLEVKA, C OLIVER STUMPEL, W BORIS BABELIAK, RW PATRIK SOKOLI - All these boys without a draft. Each of them excels in something, but nothing special for the draft.

2023 - It may be another excellent draft for Slovakia after 2022. In an optomistic scenario, it may be even slightly better. However, it is still very far away. Two and a half years is a long time. At the moment I see it this way, but in a year it may look completely different. But I will try just so simply. There are currently three Slovaks who, in my opinion, have a real chance for the first round. The first of them is C DALIBOR DVORSKY. The guy can create chances, he can read the game, he wins the bully, he skates well, he plays well with the puck but also without the puck. His position game, hockey IQ, stickhandling, I was really surprised and fascinated. Despite his young age, he looks really mature on the ice. The second player who could go, in my opinion, in the first round is LW/RW ONDREJ MOLNAR. He is speedy winger with good shot. He reminds me a lot of Gaborik when he was young. Definitely an interesting player to watch for next season. The third player who could go in the first round is RW ALEX CIERNIK. Dynamic wing, he has a feel for passing, he has a decent shot and skating. He has made really big progress over the last 2 seasons and today he is slightly underrated, despite the fact that he is one of the best players in Sweden at his age. I would finish it with a four, which could be in the 2nd or lower round. D MAXIM STRBAK, RW/LW FRANTISEK RIDZON, LW/RW DANIEL ALEXANDER JENCKO and LW SAMUEL SISIK. Strbak looks like a modern two-way defender, and the three attackers have really good playmaker abilities. I saw all fours play, they have potential and a pretty good chance for the draft. It will be interesting to watch them next season.

We believe that Slovakia is expecting better hockey times.
Good job. I would personally be suprised if Nemec didn't turn out to be a 1st rounder. Slaf could be picked anywhere in 1-3 round, hard to say now. Then we have Mesar with a good chance to be drafted followed by Petrovsky and Zlnka. No idea about R. Elias, next season will tell more. There are also guys like Sotek, who has fallen off the radar a bit and Gabriel, who is the exact opposite. There is for sure some potential towards the draft, but I'd say it would be a pleasant surprise if they made it. For 2022 I expect 2-4 drafted players. Not gonna comment on draft 2023 as it's just too far

Last edited:

james12

Mar 31, 2018
I wonder where will these guys play next season?

Nemec, Mesar would definitely get primary roles in case they would stay in Slovak top tier league which would give them a solid chance to see some games in A national team. On the contrary, they already claimed they wanted to go CHL - mostly because of scouts. IMO if HGC took place and they played well, scouts would have to go scout Slovak league.

Hope players like Petrovsky, Zlnka, Sotek will pass the CHL draft. The big question mark is Slafkovsky because I really doubt he's getting top6 IT in TPS next season. Probably will be drafted by some CHL team, where he would dominate.

General formula for me though:

Men's TOP6 role > CHL TOP6 role

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I wonder where will these guys play next season?

Nemec, Mesar would definitely get primary roles in case they would stay in Slovak top tier league which would give them a solid chance to see some games in A national team. On the contrary, they already claimed they wanted to go CHL - mostly because of scouts. IMO if HGC took place and they played well, scouts would have to go scout Slovak league.

Hope players like Petrovsky, Zlnka, Sotek will pass the CHL draft. The big question mark is Slafkovsky because I really doubt he's getting top6 IT in TPS next season. Probably will be drafted by some CHL team, where he would dominate.

General formula for me though:

Men's TOP6 role > CHL TOP6 role

I completely agree. Rastislav Elias should play in USHL.

Reactions: james12

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Adam Ruzicka made his NHL debut last night.
Sucks he’s playing limited ice time and with not exactly offensive line mates. But still, the experience will help him. Watching the game, his skating needs to still improve. It’s always been weak point but if he wants to have an nhl career, it needs to become much better

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sucks he’s playing limited ice time and with not exactly offensive line mates. But still, the experience will help him. Watching the game, his skating needs to still improve. It’s always been weak point but if he wants to have an nhl career, it needs to become much better

Will be a much better for him to experience playoff level hockey instead of playing in the World Championships. WC are normally a great experience don't get me wrong but many rosters are not even that strong this year .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad