Slovak Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
As we have fallen out of the WC's and finished 5th (our worst result in the last 4 WC's), and with Palffy retiring from international hockey at the age of 34 (too soon IMO), and the coach being propbably sacked, and with our first automatic place for the Olympics, new winds will blow in our national team.

But first, report card:

G Karol Krizan: Didnt play a second, so I cant rate him. Wasnt even a backup.

G: Rastislav Stana: He played about 35 minutes against CZE, got 5 goals and an ~70%. Played badly in that game, but the whole team did. C-

G Jan Lasak: Was our clear no.1 and played well. Cant really blame him for any goal we conceded but he can play better. A-/B+

D Ivan Majesky: Played only 13 secs, so cant rate. Went out injured with torn knee ligaments after a crach with Kostisyn. Will be out for 3 months or so.

D Lubomir Visnovsky: Our best D-man by far. Played 35 minutes against CAN, was on the ice when we scored all of our goals and we didnt conceded with him on the ice against CAN. Was great offensively, good defenisvely. A+

D: Martin Strbak: Was partnered with Visnovsky, and they made a good pair. B+

(As this would take too long, Ill just post ratings, if curious why I gave such a rating, ask, and I will write a write up.

D Radoslav Suchy: B-

D Dominik Granak C

D Rene Vydareny D

D Zdeno Chara C+

D Jaroslav Obsut C

D Richard Lintner C

LW Miroslav Satan C-

LW Marian Gaborik B+

LW Marcel Hossa B+ (but only played 10 minutes)

LW Vladimir Orszagh B+

LW Lubomir Bartecko B+

C Jozef Stumpel B+

C Pavol Demitra A-

C Michal Handzus A+

C Peter Pucher C

RW Zigmund Palffy A

RW Marian Hossa A

RW Richard Zednik C

RW Juraj Stefanka B+

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Our team will have a new coach, as under F.Hossa, we only won 1 bornze in 3 years, with our best rosters ever. I think its a bad choice to have a defensive type of coach on an offensive minded team.

Our defense played chaoticly at times, and our PK sucked (around 76%). Its just time for a new coach with a new approach and I wouldnt mind having a foreign one for a change (but one who knows English though). Hanlon did a great job with BLR, so that could help us too.

I wonder, WHY didnt we play in every game like we did against CAN? We scored 4 goals against them, our 2nd highest goal toal in 1 game in the tourney.

Chara looked lost in these WC's, while last year he played like A++. I wonder why.

Too bad Palffy is retiring 1 year before the Olympics. Atleast Bondra aint retiring. I think we missed Bondra too much. He is a leader of the team and just a great person for the team. IMO, if we had him, we would have finished higher than we did.

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
12# Peter Bondra said:
He was great all time long. He was our best attacker two-way. Blocking shots, lying into them, scoring goals, hitting, doing eveything.

Yeah,I saw little pics of him playing,he looked really good(playing-wise),also,it looks like his hair grew quite a bit longer.

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
12# Peter Bondra said:
Well, he was liked, but now he is loved for his great two-way play. Thats what I meant.

ah,I get it. Thanks for the pic,as you see,I'm not making very good use of it :confused:

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Palffy just turned 33 FYI. Why the hell would Ziggy be Retiring from this stuff?????? He was clearly one of the best players in the tournment. I think he has 3 or 4 more years left in him??????

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
Great tourney for Handzus, I love his play ! He doesn't get half the love he deserves in Philly, can't wait for Clarkie to dump him for a bag of pucks so that he can center Kovalchuk in Atlanta... Alright just dreamin :)

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
ibleedkngs said:
Palffy just turned 33 FYI. Why the hell would Ziggy be Retiring from this stuff?????? He was clearly one of the best players in the tournment. I think he has 3 or 4 more years left in him??????
He wants to concentrate on his club career and make room for the yougner ones.

But I WANT him to stay! :(

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
FrenchKheldar said:
Great tourney for Handzus, I love his play ! He doesn't get half the love he deserves in Philly, can't wait for Clarkie to dump him for a bag of pucks so that he can center Kovalchuk in Atlanta... Alright just dreamin :)

That doesn't make sense!!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Bondra,

I'd like to know about Zednik's rating. I only watched the Canada-Slovakia game, and I thought he was fairly good there (maybe a B rating). He was physical, and was able to generate a few chances. I saw him in the World Cup, and he was virtually non-existent there. I'd be curious to hear what he did earlier in the tournament.

Jazz

ibleedkngs said:
I heard this as well...

Doesn't make sense when you consider that IF the NHL players are in the Olympics next year, Palffy will have a chance to right the wrongs the IIHF & the NHL did to Slovakia in both 1998 and 2002.

I think we'll see him there..

Admin: International Hockey Forums
http://www.internationalhockeygang.org/forum

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
FrenchKheldar said:

You underrated how much we like BoardZus.

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
How in the world your best player can retire 9 months before the Olympics?! To make room for the youngers? :shakehead

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
ibleedkngs said:
He's not done in the NHL right?
He will continue his NHL career but wont play for the national side (although everybody is tying to persuade him). IMO, it would be better if he retired AFTER the Olympics along with Bondra from the national side. That will be our last chance to get our best team with this generation of players.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
Bondra,

I'd like to know about Zednik's rating. I only watched the Canada-Slovakia game, and I thought he was fairly good there (maybe a B rating). He was physical, and was able to generate a few chances. I saw him in the World Cup, and he was virtually non-existent there. I'd be curious to hear what he did earlier in the tournament.
Well, the first 3 games, he didnt do much, and didnt do much until the coach put the Orszagh-Handzus-Zednik line together for the last 2 games. He has only 2 points in 7 games. He didnt play badly but could have done a lot better.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Freaky Habs Fan said:
How was Marcel Hossa in his 10 minutes of play? Can we(Habs Fan) expect a good season from him next year?
Well, he looked good, but it was against Kazakhstan and he only played 10 minutes. I really cant make a judgement, but he did play with desire and went into the corners and such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad