Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I've updated the OP with top 10 rankings for each of the upcoming draft years. But I think I'll might update the 2021 rankings after the draft next month.

Feel free to nominate players who should be added to the Honorable mentions.

Also I have Milos Roman listed as an unsigned drafted prospect. I know he signed in the Czech extraliga and probably won't be tendered a qualifying offer by Calgary, but I'm waiting for comfirmation on that before moving him to the other thread.

Thanks for the information! It will be interesting to see how those Slovak prospects for upcoming drafts will develop. At the moment it seems like, next year could be the start for better days for Slovakian hockey.

Reactions: degustator and Elvs

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I've updated the OP with top 10 rankings for each of the upcoming draft years. But I think I'll might update the 2021 rankings after the draft next month.

Feel free to nominate players who should be added to the Honorable mentions.

Also I have Milos Roman listed as an unsigned drafted prospect. I know he signed in the Czech extraliga and probably won't be tendered a qualifying offer by Calgary, but I'm waiting for comfirmation on that before moving him to the other thread.

Really good work :thumbu:. I just want to say that Libor Nemec is 2021 draft eligible and Adam Sykora is 2022 draft eligible.

As for Honorable Mentions, i would add Patrik Gabriel which is really creative and has made the most progress this summer to the 2022 and Adam Cedzo and Leo Eperjesi, boys who fascinated me at national teams camps and have some potential to the 2023.

Although Roman Kukumberg had a decent proctivity last season, he has good physical parameters but otherwise he didn't get me any good gameplay, he has a long way to go to the draft.

On the other side Richard Marko and Matej Tomas didn't interest me and didn't come to me as interesting players.

Reactions: Elvs

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Really good work :thumbu:. I just want to say that Libor Nemec is 2021 draft eligible and Adam Sykora is 2022 draft eligible.

As for Honorable Mentions, i would add Patrik Gabriel which is really creative and has made the most progress this summer to the 2022 and Adam Cedzo and Leo Eperjesi, boys who fascinated me at national teams camps and have some potential to the 2023.

Although Roman Kukumberg had a decent proctivity last season, he has good physical parameters but otherwise he didn't get me any good gameplay, he has a long way to go to the draft.

On the other side Richard Marko and Matej Tomas didn't interest me and didn't come to me as interesting players.

Thanks for your attentive eyes. I mixed up those september birthies and added the HM's you brought up.

Also I wonder, is there any word in Slovakia as to why Daniel Chovaniak is listed on Karlskrona U18 roster all of a sudden? Traditionally, Lulea has the much stronger youth program, so Chovaniak should more easily be able to crack Karlskrona's U20 team. But as he was already listed to make the jump from the U18 team to the U20 team in Lulea, I wonder why he's suddently with another club.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Marcel Stefancik is the youngest forward on Luleås U20 team, but skated as a left winger on their 2nd line in the premiere against Modo. Despite his team losing 2-5, he was a +/- 0. He had two shots on net.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Anyone know anything about Simon Groch? He's a 17 year old defenseman with 5 points (1+4) in 8 so far in the Czech U20 league. Played on the Slovak U18 team last year as a 16 year old.

I'm also wondering about Matus Hlavac who plays on the same team. He has 8 points (2+6) in 9 games, though he is 19 and probably not someone who will get drafted. On the other hand, he played two games in the Czech men's league as an 18 year old last year, and had good numbers in the DHL Cup. Why was he not with the National Team?

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Anyone know anything about Simon Groch? He's a 17 year old defenseman with 5 points (1+4) in 8 so far in the Czech U20 league. Played on the Slovak U18 team last year as a 16 year old.

I'm also wondering about Matus Hlavac who plays on the same team. He has 8 points (2+6) in 9 games, though he is 19 and probably not someone who will get drafted. On the other hand, he played two games in the Czech men's league as an 18 year old last year, and had good numbers in the DHL Cup. Why was he not with the National Team?

My personal opinion, the Czech junior league is a one class lower than the junior leagues in Scandinavia. At least for now the only Slovak players, with at least chance for the draft from the Czech Republic, are Petrovsky and Babeliak who play junior in D-1 year and they play pretty well. Groch, Baco and Kupco would have to play for the men's team in the draft season and they haven't played at least not yet so their chances for the draft gradually decrease.

As for your question, Groch is quite a well-skating defender and he is the best Slovak defender of the year of birth 2003, but if he does not play at least part of the season among men, he will not be drafted. A lower Czech Chance league (2nd highest league) would be enough.

The year of birth 2001 is generally disappointing in Slovakia. A few years ago there were a lot of players with potential from this class, but instead of improving, they stagnate. These include Matus Hlavac. I think he was injured at the time of the national events, but I'm not sure. But in the summer he was nominated for the national team.

Reactions: degustator and Elvs

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
My personal opinion, the Czech junior league is a one class lower than the junior leagues in Scandinavia. At least for now the only Slovak players, with at least chance for the draft from the Czech Republic, are Petrovsky and Babeliak who play junior in D-1 year and they play pretty well. Groch, Baco and Kupco would have to play for the men's team in the draft season and they haven't played at least not yet so their chances for the draft gradually decrease.

As for your question, Groch is quite a well-skating defender and he is the best Slovak defender of the year of birth 2003, but if he does not play at least part of the season among men, he will not be drafted. A lower Czech Chance league (2nd highest league) would be enough.

The year of birth 2001 is generally disappointing in Slovakia. A few years ago there were a lot of players with potential from this class, but instead of improving, they stagnate. These include Matus Hlavac. I think he was injured at the time of the national events, but I'm not sure. But in the summer he was nominated for the national team.

Thanks! Like I've mentioned in my thread earlier, I've only watched the guys who's represented the Slovak U20 team. My rankings of the 2021, 2022 and 2023 draftees mostly comes from their stats, size and what leagues they play in and during what age. With 2-way defensemen or defensive defensemen it's difficult, so I appreciate the scouting reports.

Groch has good size, and if he can also skate like you say, then it will be interesting watching him on the U20 national team, though I'm guessing he's at least a year away from being there.

Reactions: hellwar9

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Before the weekend, I had a chance to talk about Slovakia's future on a Swedish hockey website, and also rank their top prospects in the upcoming draft.

For anyone interested:

Slovakien mot ljusare tider: "Början på ett trendbrott" - Hockeysverige

Google translate:
Google Översätt (English)
Google Översätt (Slovak)

Google Translator had his issues :DD

Čistý útočný bek, ktorý je agresívny počas celého priebehu. Knazko nikdy neváha zaštipnúť v útočnom pásme a vždy je rýchly v jazdečku puku. Je pohyblivý na korčuliach a jeho rozohrávka je výhodou v presilovej hre. Na druhej strane Knazko "Vo svojej hre dosť šteniatko a otázkou je, ako bude jeho vysoko rizikový štýl fungovať na vyššej úrovni. Často sa snaží robiť trochu príliš veľa sám, čo vedie k chybám s pukom aj bez puku. Stále zaujímavý chrbát pre moderný ľadový hokej."

Reactions: kudla

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Google Translator had his issues :DD

Čistý útočný bek, ktorý je agresívny počas celého priebehu. Knazko nikdy neváha zaštipnúť v útočnom pásme a vždy je rýchly v jazdečku puku. Je pohyblivý na korčuliach a jeho rozohrávka je výhodou v presilovej hre. Na druhej strane Knazko "Vo svojej hre dosť šteniatko a otázkou je, ako bude jeho vysoko rizikový štýl fungovať na vyššej úrovni. Často sa snaží robiť trochu príliš veľa sám, čo vedie k chybám s pukom aj bez puku. Stále zaujímavý chrbát pre moderný ľadový hokej."

I can only guess it had something to do with the Swedish word "valpig". Directly translated it means "puppy-ish" or "cubbish". It's a Swedish expression used to describe someone who plays an immature or naive type of game.

Better translation of Knazko:

"A pure offensive defenseman who is aggressive all over the ice. Knazko never hesitates from pinching in the offensive zone and is always quick to apply pressure on the puck carrier. He is mobile on his skates and his passing game is an asset on the power play. On the other hand, Knazko plays a quite "cubbish" game and it remains to be seen how his high-risk style of play will work at higher levels. He's often guilty of trying to do too much, which leads to mistakes with and without the puck. Still, he's an exciting defenseman for the modern ice hockey".

Last edited:

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
So much for the hype of Slovak prospects in 2020.
Only 2 prospects got drafted, Knazko in the 3rd round (78th ovarall) and Chromiak in the 5th round (128th overall).

To put it more in the perspecitve Germany got 2 guys in the 1st round (3rd, 17th) and one guy early 2nd round.
Austria got a 1st rounder (top 10) as well and 2 more in the 4th and 6th round respectively.
Even a country like Great Britain got a guy drafter higher (56th overall) than any of Slovak prospects.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Only 2 prospects got drafted, Knazko in the 3rd round (78th ovarall) and Chromiak in the 5th round (128th overall).

To put it more in the perspecitve Germany got 2 guys in the 1st round (3rd, 17th) and one guy early 2nd round.
Austria got a 1st rounder (top 10) as well and 2 more in the 4th and 6th round respectively.
Even a country like Great Britain got a guy drafter higher (56th overall) than any of Slovak prospects.
Yes, this draft was again disappointing for us. Some picks from clubs are really crazy, I am curious how many players from 3rd till 7th round will have successful NHL careers, that is the most important, Draft is very important but it is still only first step.
Germans have special 2002 class, we will see how it will be in the next coming years, if they can confirm the trend.
Who is that British drafted player? Tristen Robin is Brit like Luke Tuch is Slovak ;-)

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

The hype is about the 2022 and 2023 drafts.

This year Chromiak was the only one I had pegged in the first three rounds, but yeah it was dissappointing that he fell so far an also that a couple of other players didn't get drafted at all.

I've never been impressed with Hlavaj, but when he's the 3rd ranked goaltender in North America you'd think someone would use a late round pick on him. On the other hand, we often see goalies selected in their last year of eligibility, so with another good year in the QMJHL there's still a chance for him.

The biggest letdown for me was Stacha not getting picked. But it's not all that surprising with the little exposure he's been getting. Playing in the WHL (if corona doesn't prevent it) will increase his chances next year.

Austria has a long way to go still before catching up with Slovakia. One big player doesn't change that. Thomas Vanek wasn't enough to help Austria anywhere in his prime. Even Latvia, who hasn't developed a top 6 forward ever, or a top 4 defenseman since Sandish Ozolinsh, is ways ahead.

You could turn the tables and say that Switzlerland had 0 players selected. And last year they only had one guy picked in the 7th round. Not denying that Slovakia has big issues that needs to be resolved, but the likes of Austria, Great Britain, France, Belarus, Norway etc are still far behind.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hlavaj's international numbers have been disappointing and his QMJHL save percentage was not THAT good. I am surprised some people had him as a lock.

Stacha on the other hand, should have been drafted

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hlavaj's international numbers have been disappointing and his QMJHL save percentage was not THAT good. I am surprised some people had him as a lock.

Canadian juniors are high scoring. A 91.5 svs% is pretty good. Not amazing, but defenitely good enough to get drafted. You also gotta look at the progression. He took a big step forward from his 86.2% in the USHL the year prior. On the other hand, he had a crazy good team in Sherbrooke in front of him. And I agree that he's been constantly underwhelming whenever representing the national team. When you're a goaltender on a weak national team, that's where you're gonna be seen the most. Instead of taking the opportunity to shine it's been the complete opposite.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I thought we would see more Slovaks drafted in 2020 than in 2021, but with a couple of players carrying on from this draft to the next it looks the other way around. Though I'm not very hopeful for next year. I think there will be 2-3 players selected. Anything more would be great.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I thought we would see more Slovaks drafted in 2020 than in 2021, but with a couple of players carrying on from this draft to the next it looks the other way around. Though I'm not very hopeful for next year. I think there will be 2-3 players selected. Anything more would be great.
I wouldn't be surprised if only one Slovak will be drafted next year. Slovak players are not in the course for NHL scouts right now. Maybe it is due to some wrong picks in the past..
But currently if there is some Slovak with the same quality as Canadian, American, Swede or Finn, the teams tend to make a pick from these countries rather than from Slovakia. This is reality and we need to work on it to turn these things around.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I wouldn't be surprised if only one Slovak will be drafted next year. Slovak players are not in the course for NHL scouts right now. Maybe it is due to some wrong picks in the past..
But currently if there is some Slovak with the same quality as Canadian, American, Swede or Finn, the teams tend to make a pick from these countries rather than from Slovakia. This is reality and we need to work on it to turn these things around.

It's more about legue than nationality. Right now scouts don't care much about the Tipos Liga, let alone the Slovak U20 league. Had Stacha been playing in Sweden's or Finland's U20 league the past season he would probably have been drafted yesterday.

The Czech U20 league doesn't get much recognition either. As someone said earlier in the thread, guys like Groch, Mastic, Horvath, Baco and Kupco probably gotta see some time in men's league to have a chance for selection next year.

The overagers (Stacha, Kaslik, Hlavaj - maybe even Mudrak and Golian) playing in the CHL stands a better chance. And of course CHL rookies Myklukha and Geci. Problem is the corona virus. We don't know what will happen with juniors in Canada this year ...

Libor Nemec is someone I don't hear a lot of talk about. I've never seen him play, but based on his stats I'm thinking maybe he's getting underrated? He's shown good production in the Swedish junior ranks and is off to a good start in Finland this year. Hopefully he's promoted to Lukko's U20 team soon and can deliver at that level also.

Marcel Stefancik is possible also. But right now he's on the third line with Luleå's U20 team. If he can climb into the top six he will drastically increase his chances.

Overall though, I feel like most of these guys will be passed upon in their first year of draft eligibility. Can't wait until 2022. I hope Nemec, Mesar, Elias and Sotek are showcasing themselves in other leagues before then.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
It's more about legue than nationality. Right now scouts don't care much about the Tipos Liga, let alone the Slovak U20 league. Had Stacha been playing in Sweden's or Finland's U20 league the past season he would probably have been drafted yesterday.

The Czech U20 league doesn't get much recognition either. As someone said earlier in the thread, guys like Groch, Mastic, Horvath, Baco and Kupco probably gotta see some time in men's league to have a chance for selection next year.

The overagers (Stacha, Kaslik, Hlavaj - maybe even Mudrak and Golian) playing in the CHL stands a better chance. And of course CHL rookies Myklukha and Geci. Problem is the corona virus. We don't know what will happen with juniors in Canada this year ...

Libor Nemec is someone I don't hear a lot of talk about. I've never seen him play, but based on his stats I'm thinking maybe he's getting underrated? He's shown good production in the Swedish junior ranks and is off to a good start in Finland this year. Hopefully he's promoted to Lukko's U20 team soon and can deliver at that level also.

Marcel Stefancik is possible also. But right now he's on the third line with Luleå's U20 team. If he can climb into the top six he will drastically increase his chances.

Overall though, I feel like most of these guys will be passed upon in their first year of draft eligibility. Can't wait until 2022. I hope Nemec, Mesar, Elias and Sotek are showcasing themselves in other leagues before then.
OK but then it is like vicious circle, How should we improve our development program when our best and many time also average players are leaving Slovakia? Who stays then here?
This way it is almost impossible to motivate better players to stay at home because it is not worthy for them.
Last our player who played between seniors in Slovakia and got drafted was Erik Cernak and how successful he is now.
I think the scouts are underestimating our league little bit. But on the other hand our clubs are guilty too. They will better buy some older Canadian from ECHL than give the chance to best juniors.

Reactions: degustator

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
OK but then it is like vicious circle, How should we improve our development program when our best and many time also average players are leaving Slovakia? Who stays then here?
This way it is almost impossible to motivate better players to stay at home because it is not worthy for them.
Last our player who played between seniors in Slovakia and got drafted was Erik Cernak and how successful he is now.
I think the scouts are underestimating our league little bit. But on the other hand our clubs are guilty too. They will better buy some older Canadian from ECHL than give the chance to best juniors.

Yes, unfortunately it seems that way. Of course, long term Slovakia needs to find ways to improve their own program to entice more young players to stay longer. The new Hockey Academys could maybe help with that. But right now, I think players leaving for the CHL and the Nordic countries stands a better chance of getting drafted.

I agree that the Tipos Liga is a better league than people think. It's better than most (if not all) junior leagues around the world, and certainly better than obscure leagues like CISAA, CCHL and CAHS which saw players drafted this year.

I'm sure scouts knows this too. The reason players don't get drafted out of Slovakia (and also the Czech Republic) anymore, is probably because scouts aren't impressed with the clubs resources there, and thus don't expect the young players to grow physically or tactically like in some other countries.

Like you mentioned, club teams should also become more open to give good juniors a chance. It's problematic when Marko Stacha is on Dukla Trencin's U20 team while defenseman who played in Poland and England last year are with the big club. I hope there's some good reason for that.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The hype is about the 2022 and 2023 drafts.

This year Chromiak was the only one I had pegged in the first three rounds, but yeah it was dissappointing that he fell so far an also that a couple of other players didn't get drafted at all.

I've never been impressed with Hlavaj, but when he's the 3rd ranked goaltender in North America you'd think someone would use a late round pick on him. On the other hand, we often see goalies selected in their last year of eligibility, so with another good year in the QMJHL there's still a chance for him.

The biggest letdown for me was Stacha not getting picked. But it's not all that surprising with the little exposure he's been getting. Playing in the WHL (if corona doesn't prevent it) will increase his chances next year.

Austria has a long way to go still before catching up with Slovakia. One big player doesn't change that. Thomas Vanek wasn't enough to help Austria anywhere in his prime. Even Latvia, who hasn't developed a top 6 forward ever, or a top 4 defenseman since Sandish Ozolinsh, is ways ahead.

You could turn the tables and say that Switzlerland had 0 players selected. And last year they only had one guy picked in the 7th round. Not denying that Slovakia has big issues that needs to be resolved, but the likes of Austria, Great Britain, France, Belarus, Norway etc are still far behind.

The thing with the hype about the 2022 and 2023 draffs though is that for years now it always seems 2-3 years before the draft that we have a player or more who seem like they might be at least a top 60 pick and then in the next few years they stagnate and they fall in the draft (and in case of players who seemed to be mid to late round picks don't get drafted at all) and after the draft they mostly confirm that the reason for the fall in the rankings waa just. In the 10+ years I have been following Slovak hockey only two players have completely avoided tgat stagnation / lack of competitiveness after age 15-16 formula - Tatar who was a late-bloomer in terms of NHL draft at least and Cernak.

You can blame a large chunk of it on the Slovak development system, but not all because the track record for players who left for the CHL is technically even worse and the two players I mentioned both played full season in Extraliga before leaving to NA.

Lack of exposure is of course another issue as you previously discussed, it seems like NHL teama only go for some Slovak players if Slovakia does well at the World Juniors.

I really hope that the younger guys who are hyped now can finally avoid that trap Slovak players seem to land in at a certain age.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The thing with the hype about the 2022 and 2023 draffs though is that for years now it always seems 2-3 years before the draft that we have a player or more who seem like they might be at least a top 60 pick and then in the next few years they stagnate and they fall in the draft (and in case of players who seemed to be mid to late round picks don't get drafted at all) and after the draft they mostly confirm that the reason for the fall in the rankings waa just. In the 10+ years I have been following Slovak hockey only two players have completely avoided tgat stagnation / lack of competitiveness after age 15-16 formula - Tatar who was a late-bloomer in terms of NHL draft at least and Cernak.

You can blame a large chunk of it on the Slovak development system, but not all because the track record for players who left for the CHL is technically even worse and the two players I mentioned both played full season in Extraliga before leaving to NA.

Lack of exposure is of course another issue as you previously discussed, it seems like NHL teama only go for some Slovak players if Slovakia does well at the World Juniors.

I really hope that the younger guys who are hyped now can finally avoid that trap Slovak players seem to land in at a certain age.

Of course, lots can (and will) happen before the 2022 and 2023 drafts. But seems to me that more kids born in 04 and 05 are playing well against older competition, compared to most (if not all) age groups who came before them in the past 10-15 years.

It's possible that none of these kids will be drafted in the 1st round, or even in the 2nd round. But right now it looks like they could have five or six players selected in both those drafts. Slovakia hasn't seen that many draftees two years in a row since 2004 and 2005, though only Sekera and Meszaros amounted into something out of those groups.

Right now, it can be considered a success anytime Slovakia has 4-5 players drafted. If the program can improve so that number becomes the average, that would help a lot. I don't think it should be Slovakias goal to become as good as they were 15 years ago. But reaching the level of Switzerland, who are the underdog but still competitive, should be possible with some effort.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Currently, Switzerland is no stronger than Slovakia. Or very slighty. I think Slovakia will very quickly become the 7th best nation again. Even at the lowest, there were 12 Slovaks to have played in NHL last year and 6 in KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad