Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Here are the top upcoming prospects from Slovakia.

For a list of Slovak's currently signed to NHL contracts, check:
Slovaks of the NHL – The current situation

For a list of other noteworthy players, check:
Slovakia: Players to keep track of

Notable overagers: Samuel Barcik (D), Peter Cisar (W), Frantisek Dej (C), Leo Eperjesi (D), Daniel Jencko (W), Viliam Kmec (D), Jan Korec (G), Roman Kukumberg (W), Ondrej Molnar (W), Damian Slavik (G), Samuel Urban (G)

2024 draft class:

RankNamePositionSho/CatBornClubLeagueHeightWeight
1Jakub ChromiakDRight2005Kingston FrontenacsOHL181 cm83 kg
2Ondrej MarunaCLeft2006Charlottetown IslandersQMJHL192 cm90 kg
3Richard BaranDLeft2005Victoria GrizzliesBCHL185 cm82 kg
4Theo KissWLeft2006Des Moines BuccaneersUSHL180 cm76 kg
5Tobias PitkaCRight2006Victoria GrizzliesBCHL193 cm91 kg

Honorable mentions: Richard Durina (D), Tobias Faith (W), Michal Feranec (W), Peter Kovac (C), Samuel Kupec (D), Alan Lendak (G), Michael Liscinsky (W), Pavol Prokopovic (F), Andrej Tomasec (W)

2025 draft class:

1Luka RadivojevicDRight2007Örebro HKSwe-U20178 cm70 kg
2Michal SvrcekCLeft2007Brynäs IFSwe-U20178 cm78 kg
3Tomas PobezalCLeft2006HK NitraTipos178 cm76 kg
4Jan ChovanCLeft2007TapparaFin-U20186 cm80 kg
5Adam ZalesakWLeft2006ModoSwe-U18179 cm80 kg

Honoroble mentions: Michal Capos (D), Michal Cunderlik (W), Jakub Dubravik (W), Roberto Leonardo Henrqiuez (G), Martin Kalis (W), Adam Kalman (D), Samuel Misak (C), Alex Misiak (W), Richard Rafaj (G), Matus Lisy, Andreas Straka

2026 draft class:

Tomas Chrenko, Vladimir Dravecky, Adam Goljer, Ivan Matta, Adam Nemec, Michal Plancar, Tobias Tomik

Last edited:

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Very difficult question. Only time will tell. But .... Our group of players born in 04 looks very promising and more importantly, they have results. There are also names you didn't mention - Petrovsky, Sotek, Mesar - all born in 04. Miro Satan said that he would like to see 15-20 Slovak players in NHL in 10 years and he thinks its possible. So well see. We have to wait.

Reactions: wetcoast

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Very difficult question. Only time will tell. But .... Our group of players born in 04 looks very promising and more importantly, they have results. There are also names you didn't mention - Petrovsky, Sotek, Mesar - all born in 04. Miro Satan said that he would like to see 15-20 Slovak players in NHL in 10 years and he thinks its possible. So well see. We have to wait.

Added those kids to the list. Sotek is listed as a right wing on elite prospects, while Petrovsky and Mesar are simply listed as "forwards". Does either of them play center?

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Added those kids to the list. Sotek is listed as a right wing on elite prospects, while Petrovsky and Mesar are simply listed as "forwards". Does either of them play center?
Mesar is a center but i saw him play as a wing too. Petrovsky is a LW/RW.

Reactions: Elvs

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Really looking forward to seeing how the 2022 Draft pans out. I think we'll see a lot more Slovaks drafted than normally.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Faith is a pretty common Anglo Saxon name, he could have a parent who is British
Name, sure. It is however a pretty rare surname of such person. Well it doesn't matter in any case. Just a Turkish person with that name combo would add yet another layer to the onion.

james12

Mar 31, 2018
From my point of view, I assume players born between 1995 - 2005 are utterly better than group of 1984-1994. Therefore, I'd say there is a significant chance to rise in upcoming 10 years. Though it demands a lot of work in terms of development and advancements in Slovak youth hockey system since we cannot be reliable on Scandinavian countries whatsoever in the future, altough they'll vastly help some Slovakian best players born in 04 (Slafkovsky, Zlnka) or 05 (Sisik, Strbak, Dvorsky) but we cannot expect them to redeem the job we should be capable of doing.

Comparing Slovakia with Top 6 (Czechia still included), I simply cannot see any enormous revolution in the fact that we will still be one step behind them if not more.

However, I am a naive dreamer so I hope these players will be playing in NHL in 10 years creating the powerful core for national team.

G: Latkoczy, Elias
D: Fehervary, Nemec, Strbak
Centers: Petrovský, Myklukha, Dvorský
Wingers: Mesar, Sotek, Slafkovsky, Chromiak, Sisik, Cajkovic

Plus solid 99 and 98 group of players.

Reactions: degustator

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I hope we have already reached the bottom and stopped the downward trend. But there is still huge amount of work ahead of us.

There are some changes being done by our hockey federation but only time will tell us how these changes will turn out and how we will be competitive against top 5 nations in maybe 10 years.

But I hope we can gain some medal at world championship in horizon maybe 5 years when all constellations will be positive for us- for example having some luck, goalie giving outstanding performances and having all our top players on the squad in solid form..

Another important factor would be some player drafted in 1st round, maybe in TOP 10, so like the Germans have Draisaitl or Seider this year... that could be big boost in hockey popularity among our children and show them the hope and inspiration how to become elite player when working hard.
Goal of our federation is that 5% of children within one year will be playing hockey, currently it is only 1%..

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I hope we have already reached the bottom and stopped the downward trend. But there is still huge amount of work ahead of us.

There are some changes being done by our hockey federation but only time will tell us how these changes will turn out and how we will be competitive against top 5 nations in maybe 10 years.

But I hope we can gain some medal at world championship in horizon maybe 5 years when all constellations will be positive for us- for example having some luck, goalie giving outstanding performances and having all our top players on the squad in solid form..

Another important factor would be some player drafted in 1st round, maybe in TOP 10, so like the Germans have Draisaitl or Seider this year... that could be big boost in hockey popularity among our children and show them the hope and inspiration how to become elite player when working hard.
Goal of our federation is that 5% of children within one year will be playing hockey, currently it is only 1%..

I wonder if in 10 years they can get any higher than 9th or 10th in the world.

Germany is probably 8th and I'm not really sure that they are even gaining on them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Usually, like in Finland, a real big hockey boom started from a World Championship. Childs born year after that are our strongest age classes.

Some 2003 borns, should be next Slovakia's strongest classes, and few more after that. They are 17 now, 2020 and 2021 drafted mostly.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Usually, like in Finland, a real big hockey boom started from a World Championship. Childs born year after that are our strongest age classes.

Some 2003 borns, should be next Slovakia's strongest classes, and few more after that. They are 17 now, 2020 and 2021 drafted mostly.

What do you mean? Year after Gold on WCH? Or year after home championships?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad