Slovak National Team

Sportpsych90

Dec 5, 2016
Couldn't tell if one already existed but thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to Slovak footballers in general. Pretty excited about the young players we have in the system and hope they can continue to develop like Skriniar, Lobotka, and Duda recently have.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Couldn't tell if one already existed but thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to Slovak footballers in general. Pretty excited about the young players we have in the system and hope they can continue to develop like Skriniar, Lobotka, and Duda recently have.
Respectfully, I don't believe that there is enough interest. The only two teams that have one are USA and Canada. I think we'd all welcome your insight about Slovakian players, but I think the thread for that is the general national teams thread.

And I will say that this board loves Skriniar

Reactions: Sportpsych90

Sportpsych90

Dec 5, 2016
This could have future. Please, dont bury it.

Givge us some more inside info. Im not very much familiar, who are our top U20 prospects.
I know you have a lot of knowledge in Slovak prospects for hockey so I wouldn't be surprised if you knew most of this information already, but we have a solid crop of 21 year olds with promise at the moment Erik Jirka (Rw/RM Just turned 21 couple weeks ago and big part of Trnava's success of getting into the Uefa Europa League), Samuel Mraz (St/CF Led the Slovak league in goals last year as a 20 year old, now getting some decent playing time in Serie A), Lazlo Benes (Midfielder 21, He has been well known for quite some time and was hailed as the new Hamsik, but has been injury plagued the last couple years, starting to look healthy now tho), Marek Rodak (21 GK for Rotherham, shows some promise and scored that insane stoppage time winner against Iceland a couple weeks ago/Video below :laugh:)

As for <21 there is David Hancko (CB 20, draws some similarities to Skriniar, also played in Zilina like Skriniar and is now playing in Fiorentina in Italy), Matej Oravec (CB 20, plays for Trnava and like Erik Jirka has been a big part of their success, he even scored the winner against Anderlecht), Christian Herc (Midfielder 19, plays for Dunajska Streda, also shows promise on the ball and getting starts as a 19 year old on a competitive u21 team has been impressive!)

Respectfully, I don't believe that there is enough interest. The only two teams that have one are USA and Canada. I think we'd all welcome your insight about Slovakian players, but I think the thread for that is the general national teams thread.

And I will say that this board loves Skriniar
Thats true, I have just been looking for a board to talk in english about Slovak football and its nearly impossible to find. Maybe since a lot of Slovaks watch hockey and are present on this board they will like to keep up with it as football culture is growing stronger and stronger in Slovakia. Also, most Premier Slovak players are scattered playing for different leagues such as Serie A, Premier League, Bundesliga, etc.. So I wanted to create this to not have to hop around from each thread to discuss certain players. But i get your point, its a pretty niche thread, if it garners no interest thats ok :thumbu:

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I know you have a lot of knowledge in Slovak prospects for hockey so I wouldn't be surprised if you knew most of this information already, but we have a solid crop of 21 year olds with promise at the moment Erik Jirka (Rw/RM Just turned 21 couple weeks ago and big part of Trnava's success of getting into the Uefa Europa League), Samuel Mraz (St/CF Led the Slovak league in goals last year as a 20 year old, now getting some decent playing time in Serie A), Lazlo Benes (Midfielder 21, He has been well known for quite some time and was hailed as the new Hamsik, but has been injury plagued the last couple years, starting to look healthy now tho), Marek Rodak (21 GK for Rotherham, shows some promise and scored that insane stoppage time winner against Iceland a couple weeks ago/Video below :laugh:)

As for <21 there is David Hanako (CB 20, draws some similarities to Skriniar, also played in Zilina like Skriniar and is now playing in Fiorentina in Italy), Matej Oravec (CB 20, plays for Trnava and like Erik Jirka has been a big part of their success, he even scored the winner against Anderlecht), Christian Herc (Midfielder 19, plays for Dunajska Streda, also shows promise on the ball and getting starts as a 19 year old on a competitive u21 team has been impressive!)

Thats true, I have just been looking for a board to talk in english about Slovak football and its nearly impossible to find. Maybe since a lot of Slovaks watch hockey and are present on this board they will like to keep up with it as football culture is growing stronger and stronger in Slovakia. Also, most Premier Slovak players are scattered playing for different leagues such as Serie A, Premier League, Bundesliga, etc.. So I wanted to create this to not have to hop around from each thread to discuss certain players. But i get your point, its a pretty niche thread, if it garners no interest thats ok :thumbu:

You guys definitely have more reason to be optimistic now than over here one country to the west :) Although I'm glad to see that we're also starting to get some players in the Serie A, which seems to be a bit better for players' development than the Bundesliga or English leagues, which have for whatever reason been kind of a graveyard for Czech players over the past decade.

Reactions: Sportpsych90

Sportpsych90

Dec 5, 2016
You guys definitely have more reason to be optimistic now than over here one country to the west :) Although I'm glad to see that we're also starting to get some players in the Serie A, which seems to be a bit better for players' development than the Bundesliga or English leagues, which have for whatever reason been kind of a graveyard for Czech players over the past decade.
Yes, Serie A has been great in developing our talent, and they have seemed to target young Slovak footballerers as most of our top prospects are ending up there. And unlike other leagues such as the EPL, they actually give our players a chance to play and show their worth. Who knows, if Skriniar went to Bundesliga or EPL he still may be riding the bench somewhere... I haven't kept up too much with Czech football as like you said it has been very tough especially knowing how good they were only a decade or two ago. However, I have been keeping an eye on Patrik Schick and he is showing a lot of promise at Roma.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There was some rumors that Lucas Demitra, son of Pavol Demitra , is very good soccer prospect. Saw an article about Ajax Amsterdam. But lets see, he is now 15 years old?

Sportpsych90

Dec 5, 2016
There was some rumors that Lucas Demitra, son of Pavol Demitra , is very good soccer prospect. Saw an article about Ajax Amsterdam. But lets see, he is now 15 years old?
Demitra was one of my favorite players, what a great story that would be if his son continues his legacy in football. Although it is very difficult to predict if a youth footballer will make it in the professional leagues, for example if you look at the U15 team from 2012 only one or two names from that roster are still relevant today. But he does seem to have potential. Another kid around the same age is with some talent is Artur Gajdos who is in the Trencin system so also has links with Ajax.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
After leaving the bench in a huff before the match was over on Monday due to frustration at not being played, Vlado Weiss has now officially stated he will not play for the national team under Hapal. Guess things were different back when daddy was coach...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
After leaving the bench in a huff before the match was over on Monday due to frustration at not being played, Vlado Weiss has now officially stated he will not play for the national team under Hapal. Guess things were different back when daddy was coach...

Ok, if he doesn't want to play, so tel him rust in Kuwait (or where the hell is he playing). There are some young promising MC, that need opportunities.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I'd be interested to know what's the overall state of football in Slovakia like? Is the infrastructure for developing young players healthy and receiving solid investment, or does any talent that emerge succeed in spite of the system rather than because of it?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I'd be interested to know what's the overall state of football in Slovakia like? Is the infrastructure for developing young players healthy and receiving solid investment, or does any talent that emerge succeed in spite of the system rather than because of it?

I could say, the the infrastructure for developing young players is good. There is still room for improvement, but it is good.
There are some very well know farms (Zilina, Trencin to name the top) that every year send some prospects to the big world. They are focusing to young talents. It is a money maker for them. Sell them and sell them also with % from next transfer.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hopefully, would be good for us to have another star. Our biggest weakness right now is no elite striker. Need one of those if you want to upset as a smaller nation. I’d like to see a new coach come in and play these younger guys

im pretty sure robert bozenik will be elite striker

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's a shame none of Slovakia's more creative prospects developed. Skriniar, Hancko, and Lobotka is a strong trio but man do things fall off from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->