Slovakia: Slovak National Team- The start over again edition

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slovakia had 30 players in NHL for like on or two seasons. If we would have 30 NHLers we would be perennial medailist on WCH.

Ok, than at least 20. The reason is, that NHL want to have they stars. And as we know, tehre are a lot of good players from Swiss, Denmark, Germany ... And lets see, what will it look like in 2016.
I have such a feeling, that Chara will be only a "good" defenseman, not a star, also Hossa.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Oh, come'on! Every national team has it ups and downs.
We don't need to prove anything. We are proved in last 20 years.

You shouldn´t live in history. Our hockey is getting worse and worse, be sure that we need to prove our position. But still, we belong to the top8.

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
No one is living in history, we still medal in meaningful tournaments twice in last few years. That's still more than any other country outside TOP6.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
No one is living in history, we still medal in meaningful tournaments twice in last few years. That's still more than any other country outside TOP6.

We still medal? :laugh: Come on. I am really happy about our success in Helsinki and Toronto/Montreal, but we didn´t win those medals thanks to the quality of our players. That is the beauty/ugliness of tournaments like WC/WJC. One game playoffs. We weren´t the second best team quality-wise in Helsinki, as we weren´t the third best team quality-wise at the WJC this year. Look at all results of all our national teams.

Dotaz

JUST DIPSY DOODLE IT
May 2, 2014
Poprad, Slovakia
This World Cup idea looks like we dropped in quality by such a margin that they just decided to kick us out. But when you think about that if they decided to build this kind of structure back in 2004, we wouldn't be playing there as well. We never were a top 6 hockey nation! And even in 2004 team we had players outside of NHL in the team during World Cup...

Dotaz

JUST DIPSY DOODLE IT
May 2, 2014
Poprad, Slovakia
We still medal? :laugh: Come on. I am really happy about our success in Helsinki and Toronto/Montreal, but we didn´t win those medals thanks to the quality of our players. That is the beauty/ugliness of tournaments like WC/WJC. One game playoffs. We weren´t the second best team quality-wise in Helsinki, as we weren´t the third best team quality-wise at the WJC this year. Look at all results of all our national teams.

It is kind of true but you never medal if you just prevail in that one game - quarterfinal. You have to win something else. And we did in 2012(semi against Czechs) and also now in 2015 (bronze game vs Sweden). Other than that I agree it was more tactical wins than by quality of our hockey...

Last edited:

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
I try to revitalize this thread a little bit. In last 5 years i've been so sad about our depth of centers in NT. Demitra passed away :cry: , Handzuš slowly disappeared and huge problems started. Tip of the iceberg were the moments, when coaches tried to make a 1st line center in NT of 40 years old Stumpel. Last WCH it was even worse with Kopecký... :shakehead

However I'm slowly starting to be positive. Zdeno Cíger as former elite creative center is IMO exactly the man we need. An outside circumstances help him right now. Réway plays center in NLA and his stats are pretty impressive. Daňo plays centerman in Rockford IceHogs and hopefully he will make it to Blackhawks sooner than later. Today I figured out Libor Hudáček is center of the 2nd line in Örebro. That's quite surprising, but really good for us. :nod:

Thanks God boycott ended and Cíger will have a chance to show, what he can do with all the players. It's only two years to Olympics and I would like to see a creative centers in NT. It can decrease a pressure on players like Kopecký, Surový, Viedenský, Marcinko, Å ťastný etc. Some of them can move to wing and in 3rd or 4th line they can grind the game all the way.

IMO we need strong support to our young centers. What do you think about it?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I try to revitalize this thread a little bit. In last 5 years i've been so sad about our depth of centers in NT. Demitra passed away :cry: , Handzuš slowly disappeared and huge problems started. Tip of the iceberg were the moments, when coaches tried to make a 1st line center in NT of 40 years old Stumpel. Last WCH it was even worse with Kopecký... :shakehead

However I'm slowly starting to be positive. Zdeno Cíger as former elite creative center is IMO exactly the man we need. An outside circumstances help him right now. Réway plays center in NLA and his stats are pretty impressive. Daňo plays centerman in Rockford IceHogs and hopefully he will make it to Blackhawks sooner than later. Today I figured out Libor Hudáček is center of the 2nd line in Örebro. That's quite surprising, but really good for us. :nod:

Thanks God boycott ended and Cíger will have a chance to show, what he can do with all the players. It's only two years to Olympics and I would like to see a creative centers in NT. It can decrease a pressure on players like Kopecký, Surový, Viedenský, Marcinko, Å ťastný etc. Some of them can move to wing and in 3rd or 4th line they can grind the game all the way.

IMO we need strong support to our young centers. What do you think about it?

Centers are a long time issue. I remember WCH 2001. I dont know, who exactly from players, said it, but he mentioned, that the team lack good centers. And therefore it was "only" 1/4 that time. And with that are faceoffs connected. Also a big minus in Slovakia national team. Every time from last xxx years we heard, that our team cant be dominant on this particular game moment.

I will put also Pavol Skalicky to the list. Big center with bright future. Only 20 years old.

But i dont think, we shoudl be postitive. Kopecký, Surový, Viedenský, Marcinko, Å ťastný ... Kopecky and Surovy are old guys. Viedensky is ok, Marcinko and Stastny also. But there isnt any world class center.
Reway isnt a natural center as i know. And if so, its only one guy.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Centers are a long time issue. I remember WCH 2001. I dont know, who exactly from players, said it, but he mentioned, that the team lack good centers. And therefore it was "only" 1/4 that time. And with that are faceoffs connected. Also a big minus in Slovakia national team. Every time from last xxx years we heard, that our team cant be dominant on this particular game moment.

I will put also Pavol Skalicky to the list. Big center with bright future. Only 20 years old.

But i dont think, we shoudl be postitive. Kopecký, Surový, Viedenský, Marcinko, Šťastný ... Kopecky and Surovy are old guys. Viedensky is ok, Marcinko and Stastny also. But there isnt any world class center.
Reway isnt a natural center as i know. And if so, its only one guy.

I know faceoff efficiency is long time issue for our players and in last 15 years I remember just a few players with respectful statistic on WCH: Stümpel, Hlinka, Handzuš, Bližňák, maybe Mikúš.

I agree with you, when we are talking about Skalický. That guy made a big progress. He was very good on Arosa Challenge and Deutschland Cup. Although I think Cíger in NT and even Říha in Slovan use him as winger.

I agree with you that Kopecký and Surový are ageing, but I don't think Cíger can write them off. Rather he should move them to wing and give a chance on youngsters. However IMO Viedenský, Marcinko or Šťastný are not an answer in first or second line. I think we should find young, skilled, creative good skating centers and don't insist on size and defensive awareness so much, because in that case we will play trap forever. Cíger can use an old Czechoslovak style with defensive left winger. You know, look at the Czech centers in NT... Except of Hanzal most of them are average sized or below average sized players (Plekanec, Krejčí, Sobotka, Koukal etc.). I think Cíger should give a chance on Réway, Daňo, Hudáček (and maybe someone else) and tell them: "Guys, it's two years to Olympics and two of you will play centers between Hossa - Gáborík and Tatar - Jurčo in PyeongChang. Work hard!" ;)

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I know faceoff efficiency is long time issue for our players and in last 15 years I remember just a few players with respectful statistic on WCH: Stümpel, Hlinka, HandzuÅ¡, Bližňák, maybe Mikúš.

I agree with you, when we are talking about Skalický. That guy made a big progress. He was very good on Arosa Challenge and Deutschland Cup. Although I think Cíger in NT and even Říha in Slovan use him as winger.

I agree with you that Kopecký and Surový are ageing, but I don't think Cíger can write them off. Rather he should move them to wing and give a chance on youngsters. However IMO Viedenský, Marcinko or Å ťastný are not an answer in first or second line. I think we should find young, skilled, creative good skating centers and don't insist on size and defensive awareness so much, because in that case we will play trap forever. Cíger can use an old Czechoslovak style with defensive left winger. You know, look at the Czech centers in NT... Except of Hanzal most of them are average sized or below average sized players (Plekanec, Krejčí, Sobotka, Koukal etc.). I think Cíger should give a chance on Réway, Daňo, Hudáček (and maybe someone else) and tell them: "Guys, it's two years to Olympics and two of you will play centers between Hossa - Gáborík and Tatar - Jurčo in PyeongChang. Work hard!" ;)

Dano and Reway will have their time on WCH. Thats for sure. Hudacek is also in the mix. There is still question, if the NHL will go to 2018 olympics. If not, then imo Dano and Reway will be out.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
Any views on this year's nomination for the World Championships?

At a high level I think the defence is going to be quite decent, with enough to choose from for Ciger. Same for goaltending.

Though I struggle on attack - seems like in general the performance of national team players vs. last year has gone down and there is less to choose from... And the young guns that were doing well in Czech last year have fizzled away (Tybor, Sykora)

And realistically, only maybe Dano can be a safe bet from the NHL for the attack...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Any views on this year's nomination for the World Championships?

At a high level I think the defence is going to be quite decent, with enough to choose from for Ciger. Same for goaltending.

Though I struggle on attack - seems like in general the performance of national team players vs. last year has gone down and there is less to choose from... And the young guns that were doing well in Czech last year have fizzled away (Tybor, Sykora)

And realistically, only maybe Dano can be a safe bet from the NHL for the attack...

There is a discussion about Slovak national team for WCH - here.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Hi people. I will try to revive this thread a little bit. It's just a few days before this year's Deutschland Cup and for our NT it's the next try of The start over again edition.

I have to say statistic numbers of our european based forwards are the worst I have ever seen in this part of the season :help: . The only thing I am pleased to see is the return of Juraj Mikúš :nod: . IMO our NT need him healthy more than ever.

My roster for 2016 Deutschland Cup:

Dravecký - Mikúš - Haščák
Nagy (A) - Hudáček - Viedenský
Dej - Surový - Puliš
Buc - Skokan - Koyš
Krištof, Zigo

Jaroš - Ďaloga
Meszároš (A) - Rosandič
Graňák (C) - Švárny
Gernát - Čajkovský

Hudáček
Konrád

What do you think about it?

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hi people. I will try to revive this thread a little bit. It's just a few days before this year's Deutschland Cup and for our NT it's the next try of The start over again edition.

I have to say statistic numbers of our european based forwards are the worst I have ever seen in this part of the season :help: . The only thing I am pleased to see is the return of Juraj Mikúš :nod: . IMO our NT need him healthy more than ever.

My roster for 2016 Deutschland Cup:

Dravecký - Mikúš - HaÅ¡čák
Nagy (A) - Hudáček - Viedenský
Dej - Surový - Puliš
Buc - Skokan - Koyš
Krištof, Zigo

JaroÅ¡ - Ďaloga
MeszároÅ¡ (A) - Rosandič
Graňák (C) - Å várny
Gernát - Čajkovský

Hudáček
Konrád

What do you think about it?

I would say, they should focus to the next generation.
Konrad - ok. Hudacek - we know his quality, so let him rest. Call Godla. Or someone from Slovak league. Or Patrik Rybar. He started well in Czech league.

Ladislav Nagy? I dont know. Again, lets give a shot for some youngster. Detto Meszaroš. They are experienced players, they know how to play in national team. Let them rest.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Roster for exhibition game against Tipsport Liga and turney in Switzerland:

Goalies: Denis Godla (KalPa Kuopio/Fín., 2 zápasy/0 gólov), Ján Laco (Piráti Chomutov, ČR, 46/0)

D-men: Peter ČereÅ¡ňák (HC Plzeň, ČR, 37/2), Marek Ďaloga (HC Slovan Bratislava, SR/KHL, 52/3), Adam Jánošík (HC Bílí Tygři Liberec, ČR, 30/2), Juraj MikuÅ¡ (HC Sparta Praha, ČR, 41/3), Eduard Å edivý (HC KoÅ¡ice, 10/1), Ivan Å varný (HC Slovan Bratislava, SR/KHL, 104/3), Peter TrÅ¡ka (HC Kometa Brno, ČR, 6/1)

Forwards: Marek Bartánus (HC KoÅ¡ice, 28/2), Matej Češík (HC´05 Banská Bystrica, 6/0), Vladimír Dravecký (HC Oceláři Třinec, ČR, 52/13), Tomáš Hrnka (HC Plzeň, ČR, 19/3), Radoslav Macík (HK Nitra, 7/1), Tomáš MatouÅ¡ek (HC´05 Banská Bystrica, 3/0), Juraj Mikúš (HC Olomouc, ČR, 85/17), Bruno Mráz (HKM Zvolen, 3/0), Dávid Skokan (Piráti Chomutov, ČR, 23/2), Jakub Suja (HC KoÅ¡ice, 3/0)

Any idea why no Jaros or L. Hudacek?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Roster for exhibition game against Tipsport Liga and turney in Switzerland:

Goalies: Denis Godla (KalPa Kuopio/Fín., 2 zápasy/0 gólov), Ján Laco (Piráti Chomutov, ČR, 46/0)

D-men: Peter ČereÅ¡ňák (HC Plzeň, ČR, 37/2), Marek Ďaloga (HC Slovan Bratislava, SR/KHL, 52/3), Adam Jánošík (HC Bílí Tygři Liberec, ČR, 30/2), Juraj MikuÅ¡ (HC Sparta Praha, ČR, 41/3), Eduard Å edivý (HC KoÅ¡ice, 10/1), Ivan Å varný (HC Slovan Bratislava, SR/KHL, 104/3), Peter TrÅ¡ka (HC Kometa Brno, ČR, 6/1)

Forwards: Marek Bartánus (HC KoÅ¡ice, 28/2), Matej Češík (HC´05 Banská Bystrica, 6/0), Vladimír Dravecký (HC Oceláři Třinec, ČR, 52/13), Tomáš Hrnka (HC Plzeň, ČR, 19/3), Radoslav Macík (HK Nitra, 7/1), Tomáš MatouÅ¡ek (HC´05 Banská Bystrica, 3/0), Juraj Mikúš (HC Olomouc, ČR, 85/17), Bruno Mráz (HKM Zvolen, 3/0), Dávid Skokan (Piráti Chomutov, ČR, 23/2), Jakub Suja (HC KoÅ¡ice, 3/0)

Any idea why no Jaros or L. Hudacek?

They want to test new guys that are not in strong position for WCH. IMO.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
They want to test new guys that are not in strong position for WCH. IMO.

That makes sense. Although I would expect them to be there for at least one of the tournaments during the season. I mean I don't think that there is much need to test Laco or Daloga, but here they are. But I suppose that's what Slovakia Cup is for. New guys might be playing at the EIHC tourney in Vienna during that one, so more room for the top players on home turf.

I would have expected Koys to get a shot in Switzerland since we're trying out new guys, but oh well...

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What is the opinion of you Slovaks on how Slovakia can become a hockey power again? It is sad seeing a country fall, and I would like to see Slovakia compete with top teams again.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
What is the opinion of you Slovaks on how Slovakia can become a hockey power again? It is sad seeing a country fall, and I would like to see Slovakia compete with top teams again.

Well, I think we’re a fair way off at the moment, and getting back close to the top will take the next 5 if not 10 years.

Up until recently, hockey was stagnating with poor old-school management at the head of the Slovak Hockey Union. Now it’s a new guy, not a hockey guy, but a business guy who at the very least seems to have made things start to move, so let’s see if it gets any better. The plan currently is to build 10 hockey academies if I remember correctly, and this should be done within the next few years. Once that’s up and running, hopefully the quality of prospects we churn out will improve. At this point I think even 5 drafted players every year consistently would be a very good result 5 years from now. If we could get like 10 guys a year, consistently, that would be a blue sky scenario.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What do you mean under "hockey power"? Its number of elite NHL players? Medals on World Championships?

Both. What it was from dissolution of Czechoslovakia to 2006ish where it had a decent number of NHL stars and was a medal threat a world championships and Olympics (when they didn't get screwed by the format)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
The landscape of hockey has changed too much to ever return to those days. I don't think that's going to be a sexy opinion around here but I think it's the reality. Slovakia may soon, if all goes well, be clear of immediate threat from the higher mid-majors like Latvia or Denmark. The days where Hossa, Demitra, Gaborik, Bondra, Chara, Visnovsky, Satan, Zednik, Stumpel, Budaj, all on the same team, those days are over and they're never coming back. Hockey has grown since then, countries have risen since then, scouting has changed since then, player development has changed since then. The infrastructure and player development system is still in place to outpace a Denmark or a Latvia but the "glory days" aren't coming back. Even this year which is being hailed a "turn-around year" or the best year in X amount of years, no first rounds prospects, nothing transcendent, Ruzicka's projected in the 3rd, Bucek in the 4th, 2018 draft group isn't even as good as that.

I think the expectations of Slovak fans are realistic, I don't think fans are under any illusion they understand that Slovakia is going to be in the 7-8ish range but if you're asking 2006 you're asking for hockey to go back in time and I don't think that will happen.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I think it also depends on what kind of timeframe we are talking about.

Then it's also true that the generation of players born in 70s was exceptional and it's hard to see a repeat of that.

Also the competition was much smaller in their hey days as kabidjan mentions.

The current president of the federation claims that they are aspiring to a Finlandesque turnaround with the changes that the new project office is planning, but it remains to be seen how successful that will be and how much time they will actually have to get those plans through.

EDIT: Also regarding this year being touted as a turn around, I think it is meant more in terms of depth. You mention 1st round picks, but even during our best years, very few of the top players were 1st round picks. Among forwards only Hossa and Gaborik come into mind.

It also probably should be mentioned that Slovakia did make improvement in one area compared to the glory days and that's in terms of goalies. It's more of an improvement in terms of depth than having star goalies, but long gone are the days when you could rely on the fact that Lasak/Stana would be the two goalies (and this isn't aimed against the two of them).

I posted this in the future of Slovak hockey thread, but here is an article about a day spent with the SZLH president Martin Kohut (warning: Google Translate):

https://translate.google.sk/transla...-szlh-rozhovor-hokejovy-zvaz-zmeny&edit-text=

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
The landscape of hockey has changed too much to ever return to those days. I don't think that's going to be a sexy opinion around here but I think it's the reality. Slovakia may soon, if all goes well, be clear of immediate threat from the higher mid-majors like Latvia or Denmark. The days where Hossa, Demitra, Gaborik, Bondra, Chara, Visnovsky, Satan, Zednik, Stumpel, Budaj, all on the same team, those days are over and they're never coming back. Hockey has grown since then, countries have risen since then, scouting has changed since then, player development has changed since then. The infrastructure and player development system is still in place to outpace a Denmark or a Latvia but the "glory days" aren't coming back. Even this year which is being hailed a "turn-around year" or the best year in X amount of years, no first rounds prospects, nothing transcendent, Ruzicka's projected in the 3rd, Bucek in the 4th, 2018 draft group isn't even as good as that.

I think the expectations of Slovak fans are realistic, I don't think fans are under any illusion they understand that Slovakia is going to be in the 7-8ish range but if you're asking 2006 you're asking for hockey to go back in time and I don't think that will happen.

i appreciate your knowledge, but you may be a bit wrong, this year, should be our new start, the new hockey goverment is working on some interesting projects, building new rinks, there is really something finally moving on, but yes our best days are gone, no doubt about that... we want to be able to compete with the best, noone expects to be in the top 6 again (atleast me lol). Anyway lets see in next 5-15 years.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
What have the Czechs done recently that Slovakia has failed to do? The Czechs were pretty awful as little as 5 years ago at the WJC and the NHL draft, since then they've gotten much better and are producing much better prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad