Sleepers from 2004 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
What about some of the guys picked in mid to later rnds - would ya think the following would move up & by how much if the draft was re-done now?

Clayton STONER - 79th overall
Dustin Boyd - 98th
Wes O'Neill - 115th
Aki Seitsonen - 118th
Evan McGrath - 128th
Roman Wick - 156th
A, Khudobin - 206th
Dylan Hunter - 273rd

Just some guys I noticed that I think their stock have definitely risen...comments appreciated on these players.

Any other sleepers ya think of, make them known here with comments!

jb**

bobbyorr4ever said:
What about some of the guys picked in mid to later rnds - would ya think the following would move up & by how much if the draft was re-done now?

Clayton STONER - 79th overall
Dustin Boyd - 98th
Wes O'Neill - 115th
Aki Seitsonen - 118th
Evan McGrath - 128th
Roman Wick - 156th
A, Khudobin - 206th
Dylan Hunter - 273rd

Just some guys I noticed that I think their stock have definitely risen...comments appreciated on these players.

Any other sleepers ya think of, make them known here with comments!

Ladislav Scurko a rookie playing with Seattle

has 15g 21 assiste drafted 6th rd 170 overall
Never seen him play has decent numbers for a rookie and things that I have read said is a solid prospect

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Mikhail Grabovsky taken 150th overall is in the top 15 in scoring in the RSL this year in his 2nd season in Russia although he just turned 21 so he's a little older.

Greg Stewart taken 246th overall is having a solid year with the Petes, trippled his numbers from last year.

From other teams,

Pitt- Nick Johnson taken 67th overall is having a great freshman year at Dartmouth, made his way onto the top line and is one of Dartmouths top scorers.

Boston- Ben Walter taken 160th overall is racking up the goals this year.

leafs- Robbie Earl taken 187th overall is having a great year.

Kings- Yutaka Fukufuji taken 238th overall is putting up good numbers in the ECHL, although I have never seen him play his team is in 1st place.

Last edited:

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Mikhail Grabovski

Picked 150th overall (5th round) and has 32 points in RSL right now, putting him in top 15-20 or so in scoring in the league.

edit: bahhh... montreal beat me to it :)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
thanx for response thus far guys - also looking for comments on guy I've posted...

Would also be cool to "guesstimate" how much higher the guys could or would go if draft re-done today...

Cheers

I'll add another:
Dmitri VOrobiev- 157th - sure looks like a worthy 2nd rnder now

What about goalies:
Magnus Akerlund - 137th
Michal Valent - 145th
-Both seem like great sleeper goalies - COmments?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Julien Ellis Plante 189th Overall in the 6th Round.

If the draft were redone, I think he'd be taken in the late 1st or late 2nd round.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Wick, Hunter, McGrath, etc were all great picks and perhaps sleepers but if a first rounder can be considered a sleeper you have got to love Andrej Meszaros.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mike Card (#241 to Buffalo). Aside from Cam Barker and a healthy Fistric, he might be the best 1986-born defender in the WHL right now. Just a smart, smart hockey player. Poised, mobile, moves the puck well ... if he can add some upper-body strength IMO he has a very bright pro future. There isn't really anything to choose between he and a guy like Roman Tesliuk who went 200 picks earlier.

Tyler Eckford (#217 to NJ) was the best defender in the BCHL this year and looks like a great pick as well.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I think the Rangers got a few that have flaws, but are progressing well. Johnathan Paiment, the top offensive D men in the Q. Jakub Petruzalek, scoring a lot in the OHL a believe, but hes only like 5'7.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Liam Reddox, taken 112th overall by the Oilers. CSB measurements had him at 5'9, which scared off most teams early on even though he outscored Schremp in his first full OHL season. He was actually closer to 5'10-5'11, and has grown a tad since. in 63 GP this year, he's 33-42-75. If he gains some mass, consistency and improves his skating, he could be a top sixer.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'll play the "which guys that your team drafted last year are having unexpectedly good years" game.

Denis Kulyash and Pekka Rinne come to mind on the internation front...and everyone that's seen Mike Santorelli has said that he was a major steal and could turn out to be a pretty great player for us.

Hooray.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Very tough to say anyone is a sleeper yet. Even if a player has improved his standing since being drafted, that doesnt mean he is a sure fire NHLer, anyone can flop especially late rounders.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
I was going to say Ellis-Plante, he could be a steal. Elder may be as well, although taken in the 2nd, maybe a find, rather than a steal.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
theBob said:
Very tough to say anyone is a sleeper yet. Even if a player has improved his standing since being drafted, that doesnt mean he is a sure fire NHLer, anyone can flop especially late rounders.

I realize that...it's probably more like "nomorekids" said:
the "which guys that your team drafted last year are having unexpectedly good years" game...

Just looking at guys that probably would go higher now after about 8 mths post-draft if the draft was re-done...

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Attica said:
I was going to say Ellis-Plante, he could be a steal. Elder may be as well, although taken in the 2nd, maybe a find, rather than a steal.
I think Edler could be a really good find for the 'Nucks as well... a poised and fluid puckhandling defenceman with a lot of potential

Pogge
Vorobiev
Earl

3 "looking very good right now" later picks

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I thought nomorekids' comment was somewhat unwarranted.

A lot of posters on this thread mentioned prospects not connected to their team.

Secondly people are only trying to share the bits of knowledge they have and naturally they know their own draftees best. I didnt sense any homerism in this thread.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Ned Lukacevic - 4th round to LA, plays for the Spokane Chiefs. 18 G, 27 A so far this season, he's not afraid to mix it up, and twice this year I've seen him take stitches and not miss a single shift. The guy may be the best skater in the league too.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Tb0ne said:
Julien Ellis Plante 189th Overall in the 6th Round.

If the draft were redone, I think he'd be taken in the late 1st or late 2nd round.
You are damn right, its an elite junior goaltander

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Attica said:
*3rd round pick. 91st overall. I have never seen this kid play, but I'v heard that he could become a steal as a 3rd rounder. Certainly, Julien Ellis is looking like a steal right now, being one of the better goalies in the Q right now. Hopefully they both pan out.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Gwyddbwyll said:
I thought nomorekids' comment was somewhat unwarranted.

A lot of posters on this thread mentioned prospects not connected to their team.

Secondly people are only trying to share the bits of knowledge they have and naturally they know their own draftees best. I didnt sense any homerism in this thread.

of the 18 or 19 posts in this thread in which players were named, 10 of them were players of the respective teams that those posters follow. It's not a big deal...because this is how every thread is. It was a small joke, and it certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
nomorekids said:
of the 18 or 19 posts in this thread in which players were named, 10 of them were players of the respective teams that those posters follow. It's not a big deal...because this is how every thread is. It was a small joke, and it certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone.
Well you can stop mentioning it then. Every thread that is like this you mention the same thing over and over. "Your favorite teams" bla bla bla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad