Speculation: Sleeper Player this Season

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's all speculation. Summer is too long for us hockey die-hards :D
I'm surprised there hasn't been a poll to rank the Leafs D.
It would be interesting to see how the depth chart is viewed.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Garret Sparks

-Mcbackup has been a good backup for us but he's not someone you can trust playing more than 20 games at his age; I could definitely see Sparks steal the job at some point if not right off the bat and give Freddie a bit more rest throughout the season
-I think Sparks will impress big time

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm surprised there hasn't been a poll to rank the Leafs D.
It would be interesting to see how the depth chart is viewed.

I'm loathe to do one having not seen any of Ozhiganov.

I am secretly hoping he is as good or better than advertised. We desperately need an upgrade with some PK / muscle on the 3rd pairing RD.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Dermott and Ennis are going to have a big impact I feel.

As for hoping, I really want Zaitsev yo return to his rookie form. Hopefully he has fully recovered from his injuries, as I feel he came back while still being a bit hurt last season.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm loathe to do one having not seen any of Ozhiganov.

I am secretly hoping he is as good or better than advertised. We desperately need an upgrade with some PK / muscle on the 3rd pairing RD.
You're a rare exception.
Many have strong opinions on many players without having seen them play.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dermott could be our second best defender by the end of the season, behind only Rielly. He won't put up the points that Gardiner does, but his IQ is through the roof and he'll be a great defenceman for us. We're going to be talking about his top pairing upside by November.

Ennis is going to get waived by November.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Surprised by those including Holl.
Isn't he a pretty long shot to even make the Team?

Seems that would qualify him for the perfect definition of "sleeper" pick. ;)

He played last year with the big club for 2 games as an injury fill in and he scored a goal in both games.

Dubas strikes me as the kind of guy to reward success at the AHL level and Justin Holl was a key player in Marlies Calder Cup win. Now that Dubas is in charge of the NHL club, it will be interesting to see how many Marlies can graduate in the fall. Along with Johnsson, Grundstrom and Dermott, it’s hard not to see defensemen Justin Holl and Calle Rosen getting a longer look, too.

TSN Article

Five Marlies who have helped their NHL chances in Calder Cup Final run

justin-holl.jpg

When it comes to electric NHL debuts by Maple Leafs, Holl may have the best one in recent memory. Getting his first-ever NHL recall in early February, Holl courted headlines by scoring two goals over his two-game call-up, the only NHL action he’s seen since being drafted eight years ago. It’s been a long road to this juncture for the 26-year-old, including a 66-game East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) tenure, but these AHL playoffs are putting on full display what would make Holl a welcome addition to Toronto’s blueline next season.

A big (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) right-shot defenceman, Holl has been as reliable and consistent a defender as any in the AHL, pairing nicely with Martin Marincin, as he, too, blossomed into a stronger player.

Holl has just one goal and one assist in 13 playoff games, but as Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said repeatedly when Holl was on his scoring spree, those offensive numbers aren’t what interest him when it comes to defencemen. It’s sound decision-making in his own end and crisp first passes on breakouts, among other attributes, that set Holl apart defensively and that have made him a top-pairing blueliner for the Marlies.

How all that will translate to the NHL full time only time will tell. But Holl has been a reliable, consistent presence in the postseason while demonstrating that when the stakes are highest, he’s as trustworthy as they come – with or without the puck.

https://www.tsn.ca/five-marlies-who-have-helped-their-nhl-chances-in-calder-cup-final-run-1.1100850

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Seems that would qualify him for the perfect definition of "sleeper" pick. ;)

He played last year with the big club for 2 games as an injury fill in and he scored a goal in both games.

Dubas strikes me as the kind of guy to reward success at the AHL level and Justin Holl was a key player in Marlies Calder Cup win. Now that Dubas is in charge of the NHL club, it will be interesting to see how many Marlies can graduate in the fall. Along with Johnsson, Grundstrom and Dermott, it’s hard not to see defensemen Justin Holl and Calle Rosen getting a longer look, too.

TSN Article

Five Marlies who have helped their NHL chances in Calder Cup Final run

justin-holl.jpg

When it comes to electric NHL debuts by Maple Leafs, Holl may have the best one in recent memory. Getting his first-ever NHL recall in early February, Holl courted headlines by scoring two goals over his two-game call-up, the only NHL action he’s seen since being drafted eight years ago. It’s been a long road to this juncture for the 26-year-old, including a 66-game East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) tenure, but these AHL playoffs are putting on full display what would make Holl a welcome addition to Toronto’s blueline next season.

A big (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) right-shot defenceman, Holl has been as reliable and consistent a defender as any in the AHL, pairing nicely with Martin Marincin, as he, too, blossomed into a stronger player.

Holl has just one goal and one assist in 13 playoff games, but as Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said repeatedly when Holl was on his scoring spree, those offensive numbers aren’t what interest him when it comes to defencemen. It’s sound decision-making in his own end and crisp first passes on breakouts, among other attributes, that set Holl apart defensively and that have made him a top-pairing blueliner for the Marlies.

How all that will translate to the NHL full time only time will tell. But Holl has been a reliable, consistent presence in the postseason while demonstrating that when the stakes are highest, he’s as trustworthy as they come – with or without the puck.

https://www.tsn.ca/five-marlies-who-have-helped-their-nhl-chances-in-calder-cup-final-run-1.1100850
That's great.
So who do we see Dubas exposing to waivers to give Holl his chance?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Holl would get his chance as an injury replacement... it's up to him to take advantage of that.
Agreed, barring some deals I don't see how Holl jumps over these other guys to get a spot.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Sometimes a sleeper emerges after the season starts. Trades or injuries can open up a spot where previously none existed.

I think a real darkhorse might be a Trevor Moore - but he needs a bit of roster luck to get his chance I feel.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Holl is interesting but he didn't look quite the same after that puck in the face. Still solid though and its gonna be a battle in camp.

What if Grundstrom tears it up at camp? Would add even more intrigue to the roster.

I'd pick Zaitsev but after coming off that last injury, the last three months were the best hockey of his career so it wouldn't really be a sleeper pick.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's great.
So who do we see Dubas exposing to waivers to give Holl his chance?

Rielly --- Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott -- Holl
Carrick

Nobody if that is the 7D that Leafs keep to start the season. The only Leafs Dman not waiver exempt is Martin Marincin.. Holl would also need to clear waivers to go down this year.

PS. On July 3rd Dubas re-signed Holl to a 2 year $1.35 mil [$675k AAV] 1-way contract that ensures he gets paid the full amount in the NHL and AHL. The one-way contract re-enforces the belief that he might be playing in the NHL next year as most AHLer get 2-way contracts with only a small AHL portion.

On Capfriendly you will see he is already being listed as 1 of the 7 dmen factored into next years Leafs cap. (Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps)

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Rielly --- Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott -- Holl
Carrick

Nobody if that is the 7D that Leafs keep to start the season.

PS. On July 3rd Dubas re-signed Holl to a 2 year $1.35 mil [$675k AAV] 1-way contract that ensures he gets paid the full amount in the NHL and AHL. The one-way contract re-enforces the belief that he might be playing in the NHL next year as most AHLer get 2-way contracts with only a small AHL portion.

On Capfriendly you will see he is already being listed as 1 of the 7 dmen factored into next years Leafs cap. (Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps)
Rosen, Borgman or Ozhiganov don't need to clear waivers?

I really don't see any way Rosen doesn't make the Team.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Rosen's chances would go up if Rielly moved to RD on a top paring with Gards. That would open up a LD spot for him

Gards
Dermott
Rosen

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Feel like Zaitsev is gonna surprise most of us.
I'm waiting to be surprised. I really am hoping he can play but I have to say that I'm pessimistic. It isn't even the quality of his play that bothered me (even though it was pretty bad). It is that he played D wrong. Not sure if it's a coaching thing or it is him but there is a real lack of transitional style that has me concerned.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Nope all 3 of those guys are still on ELC contracts so that makes them all waiver exempt.

Calle Rosen was excellent in the AHL playoffs last year but the key point to consider here is shooting direction, and we know Babcock prefers players to play on their strong side shooting position and Leafs right defense group is the weak side..

Rosen is a LHD and Leafs left side includes Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott already so Rosen is not bumping one of them out. Holl is a RHD where only Hainsey (playing is offside), Zaitsev and Carrick are listed.. The fact Holl shoots right means all he has to do is beat out Carrick for a bottom pairing spot and play alongside his AHL buddy Dermott on the 3rd pairing.

Here is Leafs current depth chart : Toronto Maple Leafs Depth Chart

Babcock is not a Carrick fan as he only dressed the small DMan for 47 games last year preferring to have him keep Leivo company in the pressbox instead. So I'm predicting the RHD 3rd pairing battle will be between Carrick, Holl and Ozhinganov with only the last guy waiver exempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
3 players that I think will make things interesting

Lindholm
Grundstrom
Holl

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Not that I think he'll make a huge impact, but I can see Trevor Moore putting his name on peoples radar. Plays the style people tend to respect. Had a strong playoff run.

Reactions: Kelly and Marshy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad