Speculation: Sleeper Player this Season

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I'd be curious to know who you all think is going to end up being someone who everyone is underestimating this upcoming season? There always seems to be someone who comes out of nowhere to impress and impact the team out of training camp and into the season.

My pick is Ozhiganov. I think by mid-season he will be playing on the right side with Gardiner and be getting major PP minutes. It will take him time to adjust to NA ice, but his physical presence and skillset is basically absent from our current roster, and he will stand out in a huge way that no one expected.

Anyone else?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Ennis is the one I will be watching.

He had a tough year last year coming back off injuries and not gelling with the Wild but hes managed to avoid major injury for a while now and with our forward depth, he might find his game once again......or he could be another Booth.

Solid gamble IMO.

Reactions: moon111

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Of the returning players, I went with Brown and Zaitsev. If Brown is reunited with a familiar linemate in Kadri, there's been some previous success there. Zaitsev getting back on track will hopefully be aided by just having a healthier season.

Of the new additions, Lindholm and possibly Ennis. If Lindholm is 4C, having Tavares, Matthews and Kadri ahead of him will greatly help in easing the rookie transition to a new league. Ennis is coming off of a buyout and should be very motivated to win a lineup spot.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I think a D-man will surprise.

Rosen/Borgman/Holl/Ozi

One of those guys is going to play his way into a top 6 role and stay there all year.

Purely guesswork as to who. I have yet to see Ozi so I will watch him closely in camp.

Reactions: Gabriel426

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Everything I've read and seen from Ozhiganov leads me to believe he could be a missing piece.

I think Grunstrom steps into the 3rd line with Kadri and makes a pesky impact right away.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Surprised by those including Holl.
Isn't he a pretty long shot to even make the Team?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Tough call, for me it's between

Brown
Zaitsev
Kapanen

Brown had step back in offensive production
Zaitsev for whatever reason (injuries etc) was not great
Kapanen just didn't get a ton of ice time and didn't play the full season in the NHL.

I'll go with Brown, especially if he plays with Kadri.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Surprised by those including Holl.
Isn't he a pretty long shot to even make the Team?

I think based on the step he took last season combined with Dubas really liking him - people are projecting him as having a better than average shot to at least secure the 7th D opening.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think based on the step he took last season combined with Dubas really liking him - people are projecting him as having a better than average shot to at least secure the 7th D opening.
Really? Who is out then?
The bottom 3 spots are between,
Ozhiganov
Rosen
Borgman
Hainsey
Carrick
Holl
am I forgetting anyone?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Really? Who is out then?
The bottom 3 spots are between,
Ozhiganov
Rosen
Borgman
Hainsey
Carrick
Holl
am I forgetting anyone?

Ah....a question nobody can answer untill the end of camp. Not even Babcock. Should be a great battle!

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Ah....a question nobody can answer untill the end of camp. Not even Babcock. Should be a great battle!
The ones projecting Holl to make it must have an idea.
Tough call for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->