Post-Game Talk: Slayed Gritty, let's argue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
48 point pace while playing about 10 minutes of ES time a night. (10:37 to be exact). That's more than a bottom 6 player iMO.

Maybe, but who knows if he really succeeds in an expanded role.

On the other side it could be like “3rd liner” Palmieri from Anaheim.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Coleman has been so reliable all year, it's been a joy to watch. Love everything he's about.

Fingers crossed that Vatanen escaped serious injury last night. I missed it being stuck in traffic but heard that it was an awkward crash into the boards?

We were due for a game where we got bounces, who knew it'd be about 4 games worth of bounces and posts? :laugh:

Revenge tour continues, onto Detroit!

tumblr_static_eawdz2ug0wocc8088o80wgk4k.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe, but who knows if he really succeeds in an expanded role.

On the other side it could be like “3rd liner” Palmieri from Anaheim.
I imagine that he will find his niche as a classic utility player. A reliable guy that can play anywhere in the lineup when needed. His PK is becoming a staple on the team and no matter who he has played with, or at what position, it never looks like it's not working or a problem.

Right now, I personally think he's a better option for the 2nd line than Johansson or Zacha... I actually would love to see him play with a more skilled player like Bratt to see what happens.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Coleman has been so reliable all year, it's been a joy to watch. Love everything he's about.

Fingers crossed that Vatanen escaped serious injury last night. I missed it being stuck in traffic but heard that it was an awkward crash into the boards?

We were due for a game where we got bounces, who knew it'd be about 4 games worth of bounces and posts? :laugh:

Revenge tour continues, onto Detroit!

tumblr_static_eawdz2ug0wocc8088o80wgk4k.gif

Vats took a high stick to the face and instead of just falling forward he kind of Blandisid and flailed his arms backwards and jumped skates first into the boards

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Eh, I look at it as Nico is out 2 games, we win 2 games. Obviously overrated. Trade high! :sarcasm:

The record speaks for itself. Whatever he was doing it was a drag on the team's success and it will obviously be addition by subtraction. It's time to change the team culture. Maybe Shero can find the next Lovejoy and move Nico for him. The trade will be one for one.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Just watched highlights. How did Zacha not score on that PP chance? It's silly at this point. What is this guy's problem?

Johansson too. These are the two guys - perhaps more than any others - that we really needed to play well this year to take a step forward.

Reactions: Bleedred

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
My god was Greene as bad as I thought. When he was on the ice, the Devils were out-attempted by 13 chances.

Can't replace him fast enough. He absolutely should not be on this team next year when Smith comes in.
actually I thought he played well... he isn't the same player but played ok last night

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Nice team win. Zajac looks like a kid again, playing better than I thought he could. Even Lovejoy seems rejuvenated. Congrats to Joey A. If a few more guy could get going they may be able to right the ship and get back into the playoffs race.

brats looks notable stronger... zacha is just a good player.. the points are not there yet but when he has been in lineup the opportunities have been there so those will start to go in

I like seney.. may have something there with that guy

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Just watched highlights. How did Zacha not score on that PP chance? It's silly at this point. What is this guy's problem?

Johansson too. These are the two guys - perhaps more than any others - that we really needed to play well this year to take a step forward.

no doubt but he played well

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
My god was Greene as bad as I thought. When he was on the ice, the Devils were out-attempted by 13 chances.

Can't replace him fast enough. He absolutely should not be on this team next year when Smith comes in.
he should reinvent himself like zajac did. i think him playing 3rd pairing will be absolutely wonderful. playing 2nd pairing has already helped him look better

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Greene 25:14. 6:31of PK time 3 shots to lead the Defense
Mueller 22:39
Severson 22:03
Lovejoy 20:28
Butcher 17:43 2:42 of PP time
**Vatanen 9:14

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I imagine that he will find his niche as a classic utility player. A reliable guy that can play anywhere in the lineup when needed. His PK is becoming a staple on the team and no matter who he has played with, or at what position, it never looks like it's not working or a problem.

Right now, I personally think he's a better option for the 2nd line than Johansson or Zacha... I actually would love to see him play with a more skilled player like Bratt to see what happens.

Been waiting for John Madden 2.0 for years, and here he is. Just lots of fun to watch him play. Wish some of our other guys had his motor.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Should point out that lost in all of this is that Anderson did get his first. Not a super-great goal by Elliot - but I like the shoot-first mentality and the release. Seems like he'll fit in great with the other energy guys.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Greene played 25+ minutes in a shutout and we are ****ting on his performance?

He's the older defenseman on the team that isn't what he used to be, that is given more to shoulder than he should be as a result of a lack of depth at his position, and as a result of what he is being made responsible for, some of his age related deficiencies are more exposed. Sound familiar? Because it's a similar routine we go through each year with said scapegoat because it's going on or about 10 years we haven't had sound enough depth on defense and had to over rely on guys that shouldn't be playing in as many situations as they are.

Greene, all things considered is the least of this team's issues. If there is any issue that should be looked at regarding Greene, it's the coaching staff's handling of him. What the coaching staff has been given to work with can also be looked at as an issue as well.

That aside, whatever Zajac and Oates worked on this summer has so far paid off big time.

Reactions: My3Sons

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Should point out that lost in all of this is that Anderson did get his first. Not a super-great goal by Elliot - but I like the shoot-first mentality and the release. Seems like he'll fit in great with the other energy guys.
What do you think his ceiling is? I haven’t watched him closely enough.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
team has been noticeably better with Zacha in there recently

during the losing streak, the forwards were slacking off defensively as well and with Zacha back, that isn't happening as much. Of course its not ALL because of him, but he helps.

the points are going to come. He can't keep playing this well and be kept off the sheet.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
He's the older defenseman on the team that isn't what he used to be, that is given more to shoulder than he should be as a result of a lack of depth at his position, and as a result of what he is being made responsible for, some of his age related deficiencies are more exposed. Sound familiar? Because it's a similar routine we go through each year with said scapegoat because it's going on or about 10 years we haven't had sound enough depth on defense and had to over rely on guys that shouldn't be playing in as many situations as they are.

Greene, all things considered is the least of this team's issues. If there is any issue that should be looked at regarding Greene, it's the coaching staff's handling of him. What the coaching staff has been given to work with can also be looked at as an issue as well.

That aside, whatever Zajac and Oates worked on this summer has so far paid off big time.
I don’t know if it was mentioned here at all, but I was listening to the spittin’ chiclets podcast and they mentioned that Oates is making a ton of money working for players and analyzing video of their play. He then works with them one on one to help improve what he sees lacking in their games l.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad