Slava Voynov

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I typed up but not posted a comment pointing out to the people in the main board thread that mentioned Richards that ICE has a say in the matter. Complete with the statute and news articles.

Should I even bother?

No. As a matter of fact, you should take the same approach when tempted to click on the link for the main board. Don't bother.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
No good way to say this and it's one person's opinion but my ex was Russian and she said they look at DV differently than we do, like they're stuck in the 50's when it comes to how some men treat women. I use the term "some" emphatically as I'm not trying to paint a broad picture of a culture I know nothing about. As far as Slava leaving isn't it the same as when Kovalchuk bolted from the Devils?

He filed retirement papers.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Would it surprise anyone if Voynov returned to play in the NHL in a few years? Keep in mind, the kid is still only 25 yrs old.

Nope
That is why he is leaving on his own, so he can reapply, and it is why the Kings didn't terminate him, so if he comes back they can trade/keep him

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
No recapture on Voynov no matter what, we're good there.

I am, just like everyone else, curious on what they have in mind for his contract. It IS smart asset management to hang onto his rights, because for all we know, he could be back in three years, and we could trade them at that point. I guess maybe they could toll his contract?

Would VV have to agree to a toll of his contract? Maybe he will? Does or will a toll impact his ability to play in Russia? What about agreements between KHL and NHL? Forget about the skill level of VV, could this become a way where players and team agree to tolls in the future? Maybe a player instead of being sent down, goes back to Russia, Finland, etc. for more development in the name of tolls? I guess I see potential problems with tolls, manipulating the cap, contracts and rights staying in place, etc. Anyone can voluntarily go back to their home country. Why would going back to a home country have anything to do with tolling? The Kings could presumably toll Brown. From a business standpoint it sure seems to be opening up the possibility for more of this at some point. It would really seem to me the Kings would have to terminate his contract to get rid of his cap hit. Or maybe have a legitimate reason for a very long suspension, which would make the VV contract end as scheduled in a few years, at which point VV would be a UFA. I don't really think you hear anything from VV unless it impacts his ability to play in Russia.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes, but that second part is to determine if the player meets the 10.2(b)(ii) Free Agent Status to be a Group 4 Free Agent. A Defected Player would not be a Free Agent if they have an SPC in effect still.

I'll be honest Group IV always confused me a bit.

I'd say there's too possibilities right now. It seems clear the Kings are retaining the rights. The possibilities are either if he returns to the NHL he resumes the same contract or the Kings have to re-sign him (or trade) him. Not really sure where this works out.

I'm confident this will not count towards cap or # of contracts though. At least until he returns.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'll be honest Group IV always confused me a bit.

I'd say there's too possibilities right now. It seems clear the Kings are retaining the rights. The possibilities are either if he returns to the NHL he resumes the same contract or the Kings have to re-sign him (or trade) him. Not really sure where this works out.

I'm confident this will not count towards cap or # of contracts though. At least until he returns.

I see more then just a couple possibilities:

1) Voynov retires. Contract gone, Kings would have similar rights as Kovalchuk.

2) Mutual termination of contract. Kings would not retain any rights.

3) Unilateral termination of contract by Kings. I don't think the Kings would retain any rights, but I'm not aware of a past case where a player was considered a defected player and the team could still retain rights after terminating the contract for material breach. If the Kings could retain rights in this scenario then they would expire after the 2016-2017 season, subject to the limited time opportunity to re-sign him I cover in (5).

4) Contract not terminated, Voynov is considered a Defected Player. KHL has an agreement not to sign NHL players in this situation, but maybe they make an exception due to Voynov's visa situation. If this happened then LA could choose to toll the contract or let it run as scheduled. No cap or contract limit implications for LA unless/until Voynov returns to the NHL during the remaining four seasons on his contract. If Voynov wanted to return to the NHL after the 4 remaining years on his contract expired then the Kings would have a limited time window to sign him--for practical purposes Voynov might as well be considered an impending UFA in that case.

5) Contract not terminated, LA agrees to allow Voynov to play in the KHL on "loan". To do this the Kings would have to put Voynov through waivers first before he could sign in the KHL. No cap implications, but Voynov would count towards the 50 contract limit. At this point there's a low probability any team would claim Voynov on waivers, so it might be low risk for LA to do this. The team would have to re-waive and loan him again each following season.

Incognito25

Jun 17, 2010
In fact I still find it incredible that the league didn't even suspend ( correct me if I'm wrong) Varlamov on such serious case of domestic abuse... the NHL was lucky that the Ray Rice incident had more exposure than the Varlamov case.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I see more then just a couple possibilities:

1) Voynov retires. Contract gone, Kings would have similar rights as Kovalchuk.

2) Mutual termination of contract. Kings would not retain any rights.

3) Unilateral termination of contract by Kings. I don't think the Kings would retain any rights, but I'm not aware of a past case where a player was considered a defected player and the team could still retain rights after terminating the contract for material breach. If the Kings could retain rights in this scenario then they would expire after the 2016-2017 season, subject to the limited time opportunity to re-sign him I cover in (5).

4) Contract not terminated, Voynov is considered a Defected Player. KHL has an agreement not to sign NHL players in this situation, but maybe they make an exception due to Voynov's visa situation. If this happened then LA could choose to toll the contract or let it run as scheduled. No cap or contract limit implications for LA unless/until Voynov returns to the NHL during the remaining four seasons on his contract. If Voynov wanted to return to the NHL after the 4 remaining years on his contract expired then the Kings would have a limited time window to sign him--for practical purposes Voynov might as well be considered an impending UFA in that case.

5) Contract not terminated, LA agrees to allow Voynov to play in the KHL on "loan". To do this the Kings would have to put Voynov through waivers first before he could sign in the KHL. No cap implications, but Voynov would count towards the 50 contract limit. At this point there's a low probability any team would claim Voynov on waivers, so it might be low risk for LA to do this. The team would have to re-waive and loan him again each following season.

Good rundown. I'd agree.

However the way the Kings statement was worded it seems that 1 or 4 are the options here.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I typed up but not posted a comment pointing out to the people in the main board thread that mentioned Richards that ICE has a say in the matter. Complete with the statute and news articles.

Should I even bother?

It was worth a try. But you have to remember, you can post indisputable facts that the earth is round, yet many on the main board will look at the horizon and see it as flat, then say you're wrong without backing it up.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I'm pretty disappointed, I felt Voynov had paid his debt to society by doing his jail time and could have gone through counciling to right himself and his relationship with his wife. I know he 'chose' to return to Russia, but in reality he was forced to leave, which seems excessive for a first time offender.

Best of luck in Russia Slava, keep off the juice.

Well stated I agree 100%. This puts a huge hole in our lineup.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Big question...will this be the last Voynov Thread?

There is an article on puck daddy basically saying the kings are ok with domestic violence. Everyone should go comment on how ridiculous that it is

Make it easy on yourself and don't go to sites like puck daddy it's all junk and the more junk they put up that people go to read is helping them continue to be around to post more crap. I would not waste the motions of my finger to go anywhere near puck daddy.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Well stated I agree 100%. This puts a huge hole in our lineup.

The thing is Voynov was hardly a world beater leading up to his suspension (and before anyone chimes in and says he only played a handful of games, it started long before that; he was average through the Cup run and prior to that). Couple that with not playing in over a year and having a torn Achilles tendon, and this guy could very possibly have wound up being a bottom two at best. The biggest question now is how he'll be replaced long term. Ehrhoff is not his replacement (short term and definitely long term), but simply duct tape for a defense that needs stability and the veteran perspicacity that is lacking after the departure of Mitchell and Regehr. Regehr was a beast last season when healthy.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The thing is Voynov was hardly a world beater leading up to his suspension (and before anyone chimes in and says he only played a handful of games, it started long before that; he was average through the Cup run and prior to that). Couple that with not playing in over a year and having a torn Achilles tendon, and this guy could very possibly have wound up being a bottom two at best. The biggest question now is how he'll be replaced long term. Ehrhoff is not his replacement (short term and definitely long term), but simply duct tape for a defense that needs stability and the veteran perspicacity that is lacking after the departure of Mitchell and Regehr. Regehr was a beast last season when healthy.

Yandle would obviously be a DL target, but too expensive.

Perhaps someone like Erik Johnson could be had for a decent wage, but I would expect a trade rather than a signing.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Anyone who could be signed now is on the clearance rack's clearance rack. It's gonna be a trade. The Rangers won't trade Yandle. They're also in a win-now mode and are contenders. It would be convenient if the Panthers are far out of the playoff race come February so Dean could acquire Mitchell. It's nice to think, but it'll never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->