Slava Voynov

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Not to sound like too much of a dick but I wonder which KHL team he signs with. I hope Dynamo moscow and not SKA.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
The Kings still hold his rights.
Would a KHL team need to get the Kings permission to sign him?
Not that they would deny it. Just a technicality

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

His NHL rights. I would say he's essentially one of those restricted free agents that nobody in the NHL wants at this point. The guy that goes over the Europe because he can't get out of the AHL. I think he's free to sign with any team, in any league, if they'll take him, except the NHL.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
It appears the Kings won't be terminating him, even though they said they were getting ready to. It appears they will suspend him, which VV may or may not fight because if he's not terminated it could impact his ability to play in Russia. Usually a suspension would involve no pay and no cap hit. But can he be suspended for the remainder of his contract? The Kings apparently don't want to give up his rights. Could it be possible that if they were to terminate him, besides losing his right, would this situation require a cap recapture penalty of some sort, or would this not apply here. The Kings are so tight on the cap that if they lose Richards, and then have some sort of recapture penalty of say $1M, they be over the cap right at the start of the season with the lineup they appear to want. I don't think the Kings were anticipating VV to just want to leave. Their official statement is a telling sign of this. It makes little sense. I'm just speculating all this, but it seems like there is something to this further. Thought?

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Not to sound like too much of a dick but I wonder which KHL team he signs with. I hope Dynamo moscow and not SKA.
His hometown holds his KHL rights. I forget the name of the team. He's not a KHL free agent.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Another way to look at things, is VV leaving no different than him retiring? If he retires, can the Kings suspend him? There can be recapture on retirement I believe? But in retirement the Kings would hold his rights still. I don't know. Something tells me we haven't heard the end of this story? It just seems odd that the Kings state now for public opinion on the matter that due to him wanting to leave, terminating him is now unnecessary. You'd think that him leaving is now grounds to terminate more than ever. They don't want to talk about rights, suspension, cap implications, etc. they just wanted to sound good on the DV issue. Imo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No recapture on Voynov no matter what, we're good there.

I am, just like everyone else, curious on what they have in mind for his contract. It IS smart asset management to hang onto his rights, because for all we know, he could be back in three years, and we could trade them at that point. I guess maybe they could toll his contract?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
No recapture on Voynov no matter what, we're good there.

I am, just like everyone else, curious on what they have in mind for his contract. It IS smart asset management to hang onto his rights, because for all we know, he could be back in three years, and we could trade them at that point. I guess maybe they could toll his contract?

It's the absolute smart thing to do. He's only 25. Defenders stay effective much longer than forwards and as we all know, time heals all wounds.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
His hometown holds his KHL rights. I forget the name of the team. He's not a KHL free agent.

If Traktor holds his rights then they sorely need him. Don't think they've won too many games this season so far.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
I'm pretty disappointed, I felt Voynov had paid his debt to society by doing his jail time and could have gone through counciling to right himself and his relationship with his wife. I know he 'chose' to return to Russia, but in reality he was forced to leave, which seems excessive for a first time offender.

Best of luck in Russia Slava, keep off the juice.

This is how I feel too. We lost one of the top 18 Dmen in the league today. Our team is weaker as a result but where our players off ice lives are concerned I believe that VV paid his debt to society and should have gotten a shot at rebuilding his reputation in the NHL. That said I am hopeful that he and his family can put this all behind him and that he can continue to move forward with his life clean and sober and that he never again makes any poor decisions like the one that got him where he is today again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The KHL and NHL have an agreement not to sign players from the other league that are under contract. At this moment Voynov still has an NHL contract. Will the KHL ignore that agreement or will Voynov's contract situation change is the unanswered question right now. The Kings can't grant permission for Voynov to play in the KHL without first waiving him, then "loaning" him to a KHL team. It should also be noted if the Kings did that then Voynov would not be considered a "defected" player, and his contract would count towards the Kings' 50 contract limit.

His NHL rights. I would say he's essentially one of those restricted free agents that nobody in the NHL wants at this point. The guy that goes over the Europe because he can't get out of the AHL. I think he's free to sign with any team, in any league, if they'll take him, except the NHL.

Voynov is not an RFA at this time. He has a contract with the Kings.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
I was wondering how many posters not typically a member of the Kings boards will come by to try and gloat about VV's situation. It turns out that everyone was wrong in that the player himself decided to leave the NHL.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm pretty disappointed, I felt Voynov had paid his debt to society by doing his jail time and could have gone through counciling to right himself and his relationship with his wife. I know he 'chose' to return to Russia, but in reality he was forced to leave, which seems excessive for a first time offender.

Best of luck in Russia Slava, keep off the juice.

I'm in agreement as well. I was OK with his punishment, I accept the fact that people do make mistakes and I'm not condoning what he did or making excuses for him. He did his time, now he should be allowed to work again. Now the onus is on the NHL to set some sort of standard for punishment. The vast difference in how Voynov, Kane and ROR have been treated is outrageous. I see a lot of people say "innocent until proven guilty" yet Slava was suspended before a trial. If it's if you get arrested you get suspended then why has ROR not been suspended?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm in agreement as well. I was OK with his punishment, I accept the fact that people do make mistakes and I'm not condoning what he did or making excuses for him. He did his time, now he should be allowed to work again. Now the onus is on the NHL to set some sort of standard for punishment. The vast difference in how Voynov, Kane and ROR have been treated is outrageous. I see a lot of people say "innocent until proven guilty" yet Slava was suspended before a trial. If it's if you get arrested you get suspended then why has ROR not been suspended?

PR

Nobody cares about drunk driving. Worst thing an athlete can do is DV or run a dog fighting ring.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The KHL and NHL have an agreement not to sign players from the other league that are under contract. At this moment Voynov still has an NHL contract. Will the KHL ignore that agreement or will Voynov's contract situation change is the unanswered question right now. The Kings can't grant permission for Voynov to play in the KHL without first waiving him, then "loaning" him to a KHL team. It should also be noted if the Kings did that then Voynov would not be considered a "defected" player, and his contract would count towards the Kings' 50 contract limit.

Voynov is not an RFA at this time. He has a contract with the Kings.

Yeah. I've been trying to find a loophole or anything that suggests the Kings could have all of the following: no cap hit, Voynov's rights, no contract towards the limit, transfer or otherwise to the KHL. I don't see how they can pull all of that off and I don't know if they were putting the cart before the horse in saying so but I'd like to think hockey ops is knowledgeable enough to have covered their bases before making a public assertion. I'm very curious how they're going to pull that off.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

NHL does not seem to have a policy of suspending players for a basic DUI. The most recent DUI/BWI cases I'm aware of:

2006 Mark Bell: Hit and run and DUI, plead no contest. Sentenced to 6 months in jail. Suspended by the NHL for 15 games in 2007.

2007 Jay Bouwmeester: DUI/impaired driving. Plead guilty to impaired driving. Fined by court. No announced NHL discipline.

2010 Nikolai Khabibulin: Excessive speed, extreme DUI. Found guilty in court. Sentenced to 30 days in jail. No announced NHL discipline.

2011 Dustin Byfuglien: BWI (boating while intoxicated). Plead guilty. Sentenced to 2 days of community service. No announced NHL discipline.

2012 Riley Sheahan: DUI, driving the wrong-way on a one-way street, and using false identification. Plead guilty to DUI, other charges dismissed. Was playing for AHL club at the time. No announced NHL discipline.

2014 Ryan Malone: DUI, cocaine possession. Plead no contest to DUI, cocaine possession charge to be dismissed if he successfully completes pre-trial diversion program. No announced NHL discipline.

Bell is the most recent guy to get suspended, and his case was easily the most severe. Another driver was injured in his felony hit and run.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
PR

Nobody cares about drunk driving. Worst thing an athlete can do is DV or run a dog fighting ring.

I wouldn't go that far, but I see your point, it's relative.

It's fortunate ROR didn't hurt or kill anyone, but if we're going to treat it like the joke that is NHL discipline ('no injury, no suspension'), then ugh. Drunk driving is way more serious than the NHL and others' dismissive attitude towards ROR's crime; a fortunate result doesn't excuse the action. I know the hot button issues are DV and other aggressive gender-related crimes, but we can't just sweep reckless endangerment under the rug, because out of the three, drunk driving actually has the potential to wreck the most lives. I'm not trying to sound insensitive because Kane's alleged crime and Voynov's crime obviously deeply, dearly affect those close to them, but a car crash can kill and affect MANY multiple families at once. To give it the 'boys will be boys' treatment is appalling.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I wouldn't go that far, but I see your point, it's relative.

It's fortunate ROR didn't hurt or kill anyone, but if we're going to treat it like the joke that is NHL discipline ('no injury, no suspension'), then ugh. Drunk driving is way more serious than the NHL and others' dismissive attitude towards ROR's crime; a fortunate result doesn't excuse the action. I know the hot button issues are DV and other aggressive gender-related crimes, but we can't just sweep reckless endangerment under the rug, because out of the three, drunk driving actually has the potential to wreck the most lives. I'm not trying to sound insensitive because Kane's alleged crime and Voynov's crime obviously deeply, dearly affect those close to them, but a car crash can kill and affect MANY multiple families at once. To give it the 'boys will be boys' treatment is appalling.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the NHL and the other sports leagues aren't out to discipline players for the laws they break. We already have criminal and civil legal systems to cover that. The leagues discipline players for actions that make the league look bad, potentially leading to damage of the league's brand image.

That the NHL doesn't punish for DUI is less a reflection on the NHL itself, and more a reflection of our general societal tolerance for that misbehavior.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the NHL and the other sports leagues aren't out to discipline players for the laws they break. We already have criminal and civil legal systems to cover that. The leagues discipline players for actions that make the league look bad, potentially leading to damage of the league's brand image.

That the NHL doesn't punish for DUI is less a reflection on the NHL itself, and more a reflection of our general societal tolerance for that misbehavior.

That's very true and well said. It was also (extremely, haha) tangentially my point as well. The NHL opened a relative can of worms by playing moral police with Voynov. I'm not saying they didn't do the right thing, especially with how it turned out in the end, but in picking and choosing their battles (which I understand they have to for the brand), they're publicly judging which crimes are 'worse' or 'better' on a surface level even though that's really just synonymous with protecting their product/brand.

The average person probably doesn't care beyond Voynov, so job well done on their part with that imo, but as a hockey fan, it's sort of like how we look at suspensions for on-ice actions--i.e. well player x was suspended 4 games for this, how come player y only gets 2?

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Another way to look at things, is VV leaving no different than him retiring? If he retires, can the Kings suspend him? There can be recapture on retirement I believe? But in retirement the Kings would hold his rights still. I don't know. Something tells me we haven't heard the end of this story? It just seems odd that the Kings state now for public opinion on the matter that due to him wanting to leave, terminating him is now unnecessary. You'd think that him leaving is now grounds to terminate more than ever. They don't want to talk about rights, suspension, cap implications, etc. they just wanted to sound good on the DV issue. Imo

don't you guys think that the kings and his agent were talking thru out this process and instead of the kings being politically correct on this they had told VV 's camp of their plans to terminate and maybe just maybe they let him self deport instead of the embarrassment of terminating him , why you guys always think the worst of DL when everything he has said is about it being his fault these young guys keep getting in trouble and the lack of training in ways to avoid these issues and escape routes for avoiding issues going forward

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
If the kings make any future trades, or free agent signings they should start building the team around Drew Doughty. Hopefully Dean can find a sucker to trade for Dustin Brown before it's to late. This team can't have a guy making 5.8 million dollars on their 3rd line. I would be nice if Cernak, and Lintunimei could make the team fast, i don't think Erhoff will be around long.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah. I've been trying to find a loophole or anything that suggests the Kings could have all of the following: no cap hit, Voynov's rights, no contract towards the limit, transfer or otherwise to the KHL. I don't see how they can pull all of that off and I don't know if they were putting the cart before the horse in saying so but I'd like to think hockey ops is knowledgeable enough to have covered their bases before making a public assertion. I'm very curious how they're going to pull that off.

Group IV Free Agent (ie defected player)

(b) Group 4 Free Agents.
(i) Definition of "Defected Player." For purposes of this Agreement,
"Defected Player" means any Player not unconditionally released:
(A) who, having had an SPC with a Club, the provisions of which have
not been completely fulfilled, contracts for a period including any
part of the unfulfilled portion of his SPC, with a club in a league
not affiliated with the NHL or with any such league (both of which
are hereinafter referred to as an "unaffiliated club") or with any
other professional hockey club to the exclusion of the said Club or
its assignee; or

His rights are retained, contract is gone, no caphit. If I'm interpreting the CBA correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad