Slava Voynov on your team

Slava Voynov on your team

• Total voters

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Of course I would take him instantly.

He was not seen guilty by the court, her girlfriend is still with her, so NHL should not have anything to say about the matter.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Of course I would take him instantly.

He was not seen guilty by the court, her girlfriend is still with her, so NHL should not have anything to say about the matter.
This is demonstrably false. He pled no contest - which is for all practical purposes a guilty plea.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is demonstrably false. He pled no contest - which is for all practical purposes a guilty plea.

That's oversimplified in general. I think you're mostly right in this case.

It's more technically not admitting guilt either in exchange for other legal consequences. Could mean SOMETHING happened that he doesn't want to incriminate himself for, but also doesn't mean everything happened exactly as the public believes. In this case, he bargained it to a misdemeanor.

Don't get me wrong I think the central thesis of something awful is still there, but to believe 'no contest' means 'guilty of everything' isn't correct either.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Voynov is a scum bag.

However, he's a scum bag who's a right hand shot and my team needs that. Plus, we have the Hextall/Lombardi connection with him. I wouldn't be upset if we got him.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That's oversimplified in general. I think you're mostly right in this case.

It's more technically not admitting guilt either in exchange for other legal consequences. Could mean SOMETHING happened that he doesn't want to incriminate himself for, but also doesn't mean everything happened exactly as the public believes. In this case, he bargained it to a misdemeanor.

Don't get me wrong I think the central thesis of something awful is still there, but to believe 'no contest' means 'guilty of everything' isn't correct either.
So - once again, it is. The only thing it preserves is that it cannot be used as an admission in a follow-on civil case (basically it can't be admitted over a hearsay objection). However, in the eyes of the court, and in considering future *criminal* prosecution, it is treated exactly the same as a guilty plea.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm in full support of having my team's GM sell his soul just for the team to get better.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So - once again, it is. The only thing it preserves is that it cannot be used as an admission in a follow-on civil case (basically it can't be admitted over a hearsay objection). However, in the eyes of the court, and in considering future *criminal* prosecution, it is treated exactly the same as a guilty plea.

We might be splitting hairs here but I guess I'm more referencing the idea that people are using "no contest" as "guilty of it all" when that's not necessarily true whereas you're referencing kind of the opposite, that "no contest" also doesn't mean "not guilty."

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We might be splitting hairs here but I guess I'm more referencing the idea that people are using "no contest" as "guilty of it all" when that's not necessarily true whereas you're referencing kind of the opposite, that "no contest" also doesn't mean "not guilty."
No contest = guilty. Pure and simple.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I will blast any team that signs him unless he signs for mine, in which case I'll talk about forgiveness and how domestic abuse is not a big deal in Russia.

Apparently it's not a big deal in America either as there are many domestic abusers in professional sports and they get off very lightly.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
For once, it's a good thing that the Sens don't spend.

I have no doubt in my mind this team would overlook the elephant in the room and sign him if they were able to.
Slava Voynov against Mike Hoffman's girlfriend would be an interesting matchup though :sarcasm:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If his wife and kids want a better life and want to come back to this country, and it was an isolated incident (which he knows if he repeats he'll pretty much commit career suicide), is it really up to the general public to decide what is best for his family?

Now if the abuse was ongoing for years and it continues, that is a different story. I don't know how many consider the position of his wife and children when they want to throw the book at Voynov and bar him from ever earning a living again.

This isn't to absolve him of his heinous acts, but if it was a one time incident fueled by alcohol, I think a second chance may be warranted here. But he'll be walking a fine line from here on out.

Look at what Kobe Bryant did to someone he had no prior relationship with, and apparently bygones are bygones there. The physical and emotional abuse Bobby Hull put his ex-wife through was also reprehensible. And there's also this story that is forgotten about, 4 CAPITALS ACCUSED OF RAPE

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I have a hard time believing he could get a work visa in both the US and Canada with a no contest DV plea. Not sure why he's under the impression he can get that conviction thrown out. I think he'd need a pardon from the Governor of California and it would be politically difficult for a Governor to give him this, if he were even inclined to grant a pardon, which, I've no idea why he would. And even Voynov got it, I'm not sure that would help him get a work visa in Canada.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Wrong, but you're entitled to your wrong opinion in the name of simplification, and I'm glad you won't ever be my lawyer :P

Still love you though.
There's no debate to be had here. It's not an opinion. For all practical purposes, a no contest plea is the same as a guilty plea. The only difference is an evidentiary one after the fact.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Should an person be unemployable forever for a mistake even a criminal mistake.

No.

However, that isn't the operative question in his case.

The question is whether the US (or Canada) should ever again grant entry to a foreign national who plead no contest to beating his wife to the point of hospitalization the last time they granted him a work or residency visa.

To me, the answer to this is "no." If he was a cab driver from Italy, there'd be no question as to what would happen with him. That he's a (quite gifted) hockey player shouldn't change the situation.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
For my team its a no but Some team will sign this guy to a 1 year deal for little money so they can bury him whenever they want. Book it

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its not that I think Voynov is unworthy of being given a second chance. Mistakes are made, even if they are terrible ones like Voynov made. I really believe he feels terrible for what he did, and knows the consequences for his life of what he did.

I just don't want my team signing him. Don't want the extra attention, don't think we need him, and its just not a situation I want my team to be worrying about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad