News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
That was also a decade ago, and he spent nearly two years in federal prison. He say with the owner of the Eagles to try to be convincing about having accepting of responsibility for his actions and trying to change. And if I recall it still wasn't exactly popular.

What has Voynov done except run back to Russia, play hockey there for a few years, and have his conviction dismissed?

I didn't agree with Vick's return either, but these are different situations
You forgot the part where Voynov won two cups and his domestic life is not anyone's business.

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
And he paid his price. People make mistakes. We live in a society where rehabilitation back into society is a thing. He's a good man who made a mistake and will live with that mark for the rest of his life but he still deserves a chance. We don't live in a world where people are just hanged by the highest tree for committing mistakes. There's a reason jail exists and we don't just have death penalties for everything.
I am curious why you are vigorously defending a millionaire athlete online. You have never met this man and yet you are attesting to his character, why? What exactly makes him a "good man"? I'm not even saying he's bad (which he is) but I find this to be interesting behavior and I see it a lot when it comes to famous people.

Reactions: Pinball Wizard

Urblock

Mar 18, 2018
I am curious why you are vigorously defending a millionaire athlete online. You have never met this man and yet you are attesting to his character, why? What exactly makes him a "good man"? I'm not even saying he's bad (which he is) but I find this to be interesting behavior and I see it a lot when it comes to famous people.
The moral fabric of the National Hockey League is flying apart at the seams. I will not allow my children to watch any games this season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You forgot the part where Voynov won two cups and his domestic life is not anyone's business.

You forgot the part that a crime is committed against "the People" so in fact, it is their business.
You also forgot that customers don't have to support any particular business or franchise, so if a consumer wants to not support a team or player with their dollars or their viewing time... then again, it is their business.

And what does 2 Cups have to do with it? OJ won the Heisman, Bill Cosby won Emmy's. You clearly misread the post you responded to. The point was (and it was ready to be inferred if you were paying attention): What has he done SINCE BEING SUSPENDED? Not what did he do as a hockey player before that. Because the former has relevance to what happens now, and the latter doesn't.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Can anyone say with any real confidence that this guy is still an elite Dman at the NHL level? Honestly, I'm not sure any GM takes on this PR nightmare that comes with a reclamation project like this guy

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Can anyone say with any real confidence that this guy is still an elite Dman at the NHL level? Honestly, I'm not sure any GM takes on this PR nightmare that comes with a reclamation project like this guy
I don’t think it will be that much of a nightmare. The team will press conference snd say;
He got his pardon, he is still with his wife and they are a great couple, he paid his dues, he deserved a second chance, he is a great hockey player and will help the team, he has stanley cup experience, if he doesn’t work out he is out of here, its a smsll risk/high reward, someone was going to sign him so it is better he plays for us, etc.

Honestly, lot’s of fans won’t even know.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Really don't understand why this Voynov thing is a big deal. There are plenty of dastardly human beings walking among us with jobs. Some are still beloved. Our criminal justice system is one of the strictest in the world, so when somebody is punished and follows through with their sentencing then it's up to the employer to decide whether or not he wants to hire them. He should have that opportunity though. If the US/Canadian governments are fine with him being allowed in the country legally, he should be employable by the NHL.

Perhaps this doesn't ring true in Voynov's situation as he would be unlikely to take up a life of crime as he has employment options outside of North America, but if we didn't allow anybody to be employed due to breaking the law, USA and Canada would be a heck of a lot worse off.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Not gonna debate what “elite” means, but he’s a guaranteed top 4 Dman.

Reactions: gumgum

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Read one of my early posts on this thread. That'll give you some insight. It's not a case of me defending or fighting for a famous person.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
but what are the leafs willing to give up and would the other teams not want more?
I don’t think LA could pay Toronto enough to take Voynov. The team is being built around character.

At a hearing on 15 December 2014, an officer testified that Varlamova told police Voynov punched, kicked, and choked her, and that her face was cut after Voynov pushed her into a flat-screen television. The officer also testified to seeing a laceration above Varlamova's left eye, blood streaming, and red marks on her neck. Voynov's attorney claimed that cops misunderstood Varlamova because she doesn't speak English and maintained she "fell down."

Doesn’t exactly scream “character”.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't think the Kings could expect very much for Voynov. Respectfully, he does not hold the value a top 4 D-man normally would to other teams. Someone may take a chance on him - he has undeniable talent. However there are some risks not usually associated with acquiring a player like Voynov. That team, whomever they are, might experience some backlash from fans and the media if they traded for him. This is a gate driven league. The vast majority of the revenue the NHL generates are from tickets and merchandise. Advertising and TV contracts are far less lucrative for the league.

It is therefore important for a NHL team to maintain and nurture it's relationship to its fan base. Acquiring Voynov therefore has risks to their bottom line. This has to be weighed along with any assets going back to the Kings against what positives Voynov might bring. It's a tough call, and as such I don't see L.A. getting fair value for this player.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I disagree about the first part.
I’d let you punch some random idiot on the street before I let you touch my dog or any other animal.

Agree that abuse against the young is worse, but I include animal young in that. They are just as helpless as human young.

Humans are more evolved but not superior.
Like I said I hate abuse against any animals. I just position abuse against humans as worse. The term abuse suggests the person being abused doesn’t deserve it. That doesn’t fit your any idiot model and who is to judge the person was an idiot? But at least we agree abuse against anyone or any animal is wrong.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
:leafs

Toronto would be a good fit team and cap wise. He would be very cheap and the Leafs need an impact RHD with cost control. But hey, who doesn't right....But he could really help push Toronto's group closer to the top of Cup contention mountain if he plays like he did before the whole incident.

The counterpoint is Toronto is the biggest media market and they'd have to deal with the headcahe of explaining the acquisition of a wife beater....

If a Dog Murderer like Mike Vick was able to survive and make it back in Philly and on PrimeTime TV I think they'll be okay signing this dude.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Bet whatever org signs him has him doing a whole hell of a lot of public penance to make things right. Donations to orgs, community service, public speech, the works.

While he's in a unique position for criticism being a public figure, he's also in a unique position for restitution.

Reactions: TFHockey

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Bet whatever org signs him has him doing a whole hell of a lot of public penance to make things right. Donations to orgs, community service, public speech, the works.

While he's in a unique position for criticism being a public figure, he's also in a unique position for restitution.
any update on his application to be reinstated?

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
any update on his application to be reinstated?
I recently read (2019) that he has refused multiple KHL offers and his mind is set on the NHL.

Not sure what the NHL are still investigating since I think his criminal actions were wiped clean back in july 2018 (as was reported by the LA Times at the time).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad