News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
That was also a decade ago, and he spent nearly two years in federal prison. He say with the owner of the Eagles to try to be convincing about having accepting of responsibility for his actions and trying to change. And if I recall it still wasn't exactly popular.

What has Voynov done except run back to Russia, play hockey there for a few years, and have his conviction dismissed?

I didn't agree with Vick's return either, but these are different situations
Can we agree that women and dogs are different, as well?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s a interesting question, does a player deserve a second chance after doing something society frowns on? I like to think everyone is given a second chance, but They’d have to be remorseful for what they had done, and of course never repeat it. It wouldn’t hurt if they also embraced some community service to help make aware how this type of thing happens and how To avoid making the same mistakes.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I think Wyhsynski nailed it. The league will reinstate him but leave it up to the teams to "do the right thing" and not sign him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
No.
Abuse is abuse.
Whether against a person or an animal.
People need to stop thinking that because it’s against another human it makes it worse....it doesn’t.
I hate abuse against animals even the ones I dislike but abuse against a human is worse and abuse against kids is the worst of the worst.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It’s a interesting question, does a player deserve a second chance after doing something society frowns on? I like to think everyone is given a second chance, but They’d have to be remorseful for what they had done, and of course never repeat it. It wouldn’t hurt if they also embraced some community service to help make aware how this type of thing happens and how To avoid making the same mistakes.
I want to feel this way but what he did was fairly savage. This is a very hard situation to say one side is right. She forgave him so I am inclined to bring the final verdict back to that. If they have kids I would be hard pressed to deny them Daddy’s paycheck or his wife her cut because of his sins. It would probably be helpful if wherever he goes he agrees to do ads against domestic violence.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
So he is like an unsigned prospect? Is that indefinitely? It's odd they can void his contract yet retain his rights. Gotta think Voynov could challenge that.
its the same situation as Kovochuk retiring from the nhl and going to khl i believe La would have his rights till he hits 35 years of age However i am not sure of this. The mayor and Dennis Bernstein have both said kings hold his rights I don't think either one said how long thou

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
hence why i said "practically nothing", he wont have much value due to his history and being away from the NHL for this long
you said if any gm would sign him not trade for his rights that needs to be done before u can do that and i dont see the kings just giving him away Despite his situation hes still a legit top pairing defenseman and they have some value

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Mike Danton served a lot more time than Craig McTavish did for a crime that resulted in no one getting harmed physically.

Intent is pretty damn important

Says a lot about the legal system that MacT didnt get more than one year.
Intent is the most important, I agree. But the result of your actions is pretty f***ing close.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So he is like an unsigned prospect? Is that indefinitely? It's odd they can void his contract yet retain his rights. Gotta think Voynov could challenge that.

He's officially on the Voluntarily Retired List, which should mean his condition would be similar to Kovalchuk.

However it's possible there are some special exceptions for Voynov that have not been made public. The NHL and PA reportedly reached an agreement on Voynov's status prior to the announcement that LA had terminated his contract. There could be something in that non-public agreement that would make Voynov's status different then Kovalchuk's.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I want to feel this way but what he did was fairly savage. This is a very hard situation to say one side is right. She forgave him so I am inclined to bring the final verdict back to that. If they have kids I would be hard pressed to deny them Daddy’s paycheck or his wife her cut because of his sins. It would probably be helpful if wherever he goes he agrees to do ads against domestic violence.
I think Chuck Cannon summed it up quite well in one of his songs: "every Sinner has a future, and every Saint has a pass"

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I hate abuse against animals even the ones I dislike but abuse against a human is worse and abuse against kids is the worst of the worst.
I disagree about the first part.
I’d let you punch some random idiot on the street before I let you touch my dog or any other animal.

Agree that abuse against the young is worse, but I include animal young in that. They are just as helpless as human young.

Humans are more evolved but not superior.

Reactions: Umbrella

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No.
Abuse is abuse.
Whether against a person or an animal.
People need to stop thinking that because it’s against another human it makes it worse....it doesn’t.

Except in the penal codes of just about every jurisdiction in North America, and except in the moral codes of "most" (granted not all) people.

Just because you personally feel differently, it doesn't change the facts that the law does in fact say human victims are more important than animal ones.

Think about it this way: If you were correct, a store selling Ms. Lovett's Meat Pies would be perfectly fine. Or alternatively, MacDonald's franchise owners would be filling up prisons.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I wonder which GM is gonna give in and sign him. Its not every day that you can add a top pairing Dman to your roster for practically nothing.

Just gotta hope it ain’t my team’s GM.

But in general, yeah I am curious as to how this plays out.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
If Leafs could land Voynov and trade for Tanev by the deadline that would give them a complete blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->