News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Mike Danton served a lot more time than Craig McTavish did for a crime that resulted in no one getting harmed physically.

Intent is pretty damn important

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
The difference is that most aren't public figures making millions of dollars.
There is also a huge difference between the "breaking point" of one person and the other.

This person chose to set an awful example as a role model and as a civilized person in society.
I can assure you that although we all have a breaking point , most of us will never beat their spouse bloody.
Assuming all events are equivalent is absolutely ridiculous and only serves to make light of domestic violence.

It's no surprise that most that want him "forgiven" are older and come from a different mentality.
This is not acceptable or tolerable in 2018 and doesn't improve the overall NHL product.

Domestic violence is still tolerated in 2018, completely and thoroughly.
If collective societal outrage existed towards domestic abuse or violent crimes, the NFL would implode.
NFL Arrest-Database - NFL Football - USA TODAY

Unfortunately Voynov’s actions are hardly unique for an athlete.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Drunk driving = murder
As I said, it is manifestly not. Different definitions. You can argue he still should have never gotten an NHL job again if you want, but it wasn't murder. I also live in Massachusetts and have my whole life. I remember the story well, as I was a kid when it happened. It was a horrible thing.

Not murder. Navy blue being really dark doesn't make it the color black.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
And he paid his price. People make mistakes. We live in a society where rehabilitation back into society is a thing. He's a good man who made a mistake and will live with that mark for the rest of his life but he still deserves a chance. We don't live in a world where people are just hanged by the highest tree for committing mistakes. There's a reason jail exists and we don't just have death penalties for everything.
he may have made a mistake but he is not a good man lmao.

Reactions: Red

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Leafs wouldn't touch him if he was Bobby Orr. Anyone who thinks so has ignored everything the Leafs have said and done over the past 3 years. They want good people first and are one of the most progressive organizations in hockey.

Lol Bobby Orr.

If he really learned from this mistake I'd take him on Vancouver. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
People absolutely love Dogs... like obsessed
f*** up dogs and people start a mutiny

Mike Vick played football again

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
People absolutely love Dogs... like obsessed
**** up dogs and people start a mutiny

Mike Vick played football again

That was also a decade ago, and he spent nearly two years in federal prison. He say with the owner of the Eagles to try to be convincing about having accepting of responsibility for his actions and trying to change. And if I recall it still wasn't exactly popular.

What has Voynov done except run back to Russia, play hockey there for a few years, and have his conviction dismissed?

I didn't agree with Vick's return either, but these are different situations

Reactions: JackFr

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The team that gets him will get a lot of negative attention, but that will die down.

It's not like he will come back like nothing happened. He would likely do a lot of PR things, awareness events, and charity stuff. He could even spin his leaving for Russia.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Voynov’s was a LOT worse, so it’s only semi comparable. You can’t just lump everything together regardless of severity. I mean, there’s a big difference between getting roughing for punching a guy in a scrum, and a Bertuzzi/Moore incident. Both are punching someone, yet they’re really not the same thing. Same for this. Watson pushing his drunk, belligerent girlfriend isn’t the same as Voynov punching and kicking his wife and then smashing her head into a TV.
Dany Heatley killed his best friend...... Only slick lawyers and plea bargains saved him from a vehicular homicide conviction(which he was guilty of). How many games did he get?

I don't condone what he did but this shouldn't be a life sentence

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Whatever team takes him on is going to drop rapidly into the top of my "teams I despise" list. If the Rangers or Jets decided to take him, I'll be protesting it loudly and often.

Reactions: JackFr

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Wow are you Voynov's agent? He's a "good man?" I guess you're entitled to your opinion but many would probably disagree.

Your post is pretty absurd, no one is saying Voynov should be given the death penalty for what he did. Playing in the nhl should be a privilege, not a right. It's up to the organization to decide what kind of people they want to employ. Reputation matters. Voynov isn't getting any sympathy from me. I'm sure the multimillionaire domestic abuser will do just fine in life whether or not the nhl lets him back in.
Not his agent but he stated in an earlier post that he was a friend of the family.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Dany Heatley killed his best friend...... Only slick lawyers and plea bargains saved him from a vehicular homicide conviction(which he was guilty of). How many games did he get?

I don't condone what he did but this shouldn't be a life sentence
Lol people still using this comparison? How cute. A conscious decision to beat the shit out of your significant other and being young and reckless are totes the same thing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That was also a decade ago, and he spent nearly two years in federal prison. He say with the owner of the Eagles to try to be convincing about having accepting of responsibility for his actions and trying to change. And if I recall it still wasn't exactly popular.

What has Voynov done except run back to Russia, play hockey there for a few years, and have his conviction dismissed?

I didn't agree with Vick's return either, but these are different situations

No, they're not. You are obcessing over minor irrelevant details. Don't make this out to be worse than Vick's. Mike Vick was literally a dog murderer. The guy shot/hung dogs to death.

Also, nobody in America even knows who the f*** Slava Voynov is outside of hockey fans. Mike Vick was a high profile guy who played on PrimeTime in a big market and he turned out fine.

Don't at all take this as me justifying Voynov's actions, i am not. But i wouldn't mind if someone gave him a 2nd chance.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
No, they're not. You are obcessing over minor irrelevant details. Don't make this out to be worse than Vick's. Mike Vick was literally a dog murderer. The guy shot/hung dogs to death.

Also, nobody in America even knows who the **** Slava Voynov is outside of hockey fans. Mike Vick was a high profile guy who played on PrimeTime in a big market and he turned out fine.

Don't at all take this as me justifying Voynov's actions, i am not. But i wouldn't mind if someone gave him a 2nd chance.

That's just plainly false.

I'm not obsessing over anything. Nothing said in here will affect my life in any way, nor will any decision on Voynov. I'm just discussing.

To think that Vick being given a second chance in 2009 after serving two years in prison is somehow similar to giving Voynov a second chance after he did nothing to own his actions, much less attempt to pay for them, is ridiculous. Yes, what Vick did was awful, and, as I said previously, I was opposed to him returning. The fact remains that these situations are different, they aren't only different because of "irrelevant details," and it is hardly an unreasonable stance to want to see someone earn a second chance. People don't deserve to be given a second chance inherently. That's also ridiculous.

Reactions: CrypTic

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's just plainly false.

I'm not obsessing over anything. Nothing said in here will affect my life in any way, nor will any decision on Voynov. I'm just discussing.

To think that Vick being given a second chance in 2009 after serving two years in prison is somehow similar to giving Voynov a second chance after he did nothing to own his actions, much less attempt to pay for them, is ridiculous. Yes, what Vick did was awful, and, as I said previously, I was opposed to him returning. The fact remains that these situations are different, they aren't only different because of "irrelevant details," and it is hardly an unreasonable stance to want to see someone earn a second chance. People don't deserve to be given a second chance inherently. That's also ridiculous.

It's not false. He murdered the dogs once they could no longer serve his purpose of dogfighting, shooting them to death.

Anyway it would be pointless to try and convince you or anyone else that Voynov deserves a second chance. It's such a fundamental thing either you believe in it or you don't. We fundamentally disagree.

My only point was Mike Vick committed worse atrocities and was a much higher profile figure and he turned out fine when he came back.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Lol people still using this comparison? How cute. A conscious decision to beat the **** out of your significant other and being young and reckless are totes the same thing.

Oh come on. Being "young and reckless" is absolutely a conscious decision as well. A lot of the population manages to avoid racing around irresponsibly and killing someone.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pretty disgusting, it's an easy spot for the NHL to do the right thing and have him stay gone. He does fine in Russia, he should stay there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->