Confirmed with Link: Slater Koekkoek signed for 1 yr. $865K

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
If Sergachev is moved to the right, that could free up some ice time for SK, even with Coburn still on the books. I think training camp is going to be very interesting with regards to how our defense pairs look next season. Hopefully new coaching will help a whole lot and, like y'all said, give guys like Koekkoek a chance. There were a few times where he had a "deer in the headlights" look in the defensive zone, so hopefully he works hard this summer and in training camp.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I was very impressed with SKK last season. I am probably more lenient with this coaching staff than most, and I understand that Koekkoek had very favorable matchups last season, but his deployment and playing time last season really bothered me. Hopefully Bowness was the reason and he gets a real shot to show his capabilities

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If Sergachev is moved to the right, that could free up some ice time for SK, even with Coburn still on the books. I think training camp is going to be very interesting with regards to how our defense pairs look next season. Hopefully new coaching will help a whole lot and, like y'all said, give guys like Koekkoek a chance. There were a few times where he had a "deer in the headlights" look in the defensive zone, so hopefully he works hard this summer and in training camp.
Kid played an extensive period of time on the right side against the strongest possible competition. He's one of the few that could hold his head up high after that ECF debacle. Sergy'd better be permanently moved to the right side, he looks even more comfortable on the breakout and it completely unlocks his offense potential. Let him flourish at this position, so we can pair him with the top 4 instead of Girardi.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I was very impressed with SKK last season. I am probably more lenient with this coaching staff than most, and I understand that Koekkoek had very favorable matchups last season, but his deployment and playing time last season really bothered me. Hopefully Bowness was the reason and he gets a real shot to show his capabilities

I'm now beginning to wondering how much of the issues we all have had with defensive deployment might have been Bowness as opposed to Cooper. If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't Bowness brought in as an established veteran coach to help Cooper in his first years as at the NHL level? So maybe it has been Bowness that has had more of the 'old school - only trust vets' mentality than Cooper all along? I guess we'll see this next season!

Heck, if Richards does end up directing our D and he creates even half the improvement that our PP did when he came aboard, we're golden defensively!! :D

Reactions: Rschmitz

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Kid played an extensive period of time on the right side against the strongest possible competition. He's one of the few that could hold his head up high after that ECF debacle. Sergy'd better be permanently moved to the right side, he looks even more comfortable on the breakout and it completely unlocks his offense potential. Let him flourish at this position, so we can pair him with the top 4 instead of Girardi.

Totally agree!! That's why I'd love to see him paired with McDonagh in the second pairing and let Strålman play with Hedman again. Girardi was doing good with 3rd pairing level TOI even when paired with Hedman so he'd be fine on the 3rd pair and could possibly be a good solid mentor paired up with the much speedier Koekkoek on the left.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm kind of surprised he hasn't asked for a trade yet.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Unexpected honestly. Then again, I couldn't really see us throw away a former 1st round pick just like that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's not like he doesn't still possess the raw skills. It's just weird how those skills never seem to, you know, get cooked.

Remember how he was one of our better players vs. the Penguins in 2016?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Beginning to wonder if this means Coburn is on the trading block or could KK work his way into Coby's spot leaving him as the 7thD? I'd rather not see Koekkoek in the pressbox as much this season. If he ends up not working out, then he's gone at the end of the season or could be trade fodder in a package deal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would trade Girardi before Coburn. Coburn is much more versatile and steps up come playoff time. Unfortunately Girardi has a full NTC while Coburn is limited so easier to move.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It's not like he doesn't still possess the raw skills. It's just weird how those skills never seem to, you know, get cooked.

Hard to cook something if you don’t leave it in the oven.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I would trade Girardi before Coburn. Coburn is much more versatile and steps up come playoff time. Unfortunately Girardi has a full NTC while Coburn is limited so easier to move.

On the other hand Coburn had a garbage regular season while Girardi was pretty solid. It’s bizarre how drastically the two changed once they hit the playoffs. I wonder if Girardi just ran out of gas and if playing on the third pairing all year might keep him fresher for the postseason. Also trading Coburn would force Cooper to play Koekkoek which would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->