Slashing the Stick Penalty Question

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
When a player breaks another player's stick with his own, it's supposed to be an automatic slashing penalty. However, in the Bruins/Islanders game, Strome slashed Pastrnak's stick right before the puck dropped (everyone was lined up, but the puck had not been dropped yet). No call was made.

I was just wondering if it is in the rule book that it has to happen during play, and if doing this before the puck is dropped is fair game.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Is it supposed to be an automatic slash, though? I always thought it was up to the refs discretion, regardless of a broken stick or not.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I've always hated that automatic call. Slashing should only be slashing when it doesn't touch the stick in my opinion. I mean, obviously, you don't want people two-handing people's sticks all the time, but that's the ref's discretion. The automatic call for a broken stick, or when a player drops their stick is for the birds.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Is it supposed to be an automatic slash, though? I always thought it was up to the refs discretion, regardless of a broken stick or not.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68559

Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent's body, the opponent's stick, or on or near the opponent's hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.
Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who slashes an opponent. Any slash that break the opponents stick shall be deemed an automatic penalty.

I haven't seen anything about it having to take place in play though.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
According to you the play was not even on yet. Plus it should never be automatic, always to discretion. Sometimes players slash the other player and their own stick breaks, drawing a call. Sometimes a light slash hits the stick in the right spot and snaps it, lame call. Not like the refs call it properly anyway, all the time you see missed broken sticks

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
According to you the play was not even on yet. Plus it should never be automatic, always to discretion. Sometimes players slash the other player and their own stick breaks, drawing a call. Sometimes a light slash hits the stick in the right spot and snaps it, lame call. Not like the refs call it properly anyway, all the time you see missed broken sticks

I'm not trying to debate the penalty being good for the game or not (personally I think it's a stupid rule as well), but it's in the rule book that it's an automatic penalty. I'm just trying to pinpoint if it only means during play.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
im guessing cause the ref angle is behind the islanders player to the left of the camera view in the gif provided above and he didnt see it

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I'm not trying to debate the penalty being good for the game or not (personally I think it's a stupid rule as well), but it's in the rule book that it's an automatic penalty. I'm just trying to pinpoint if it only means during play.

If that was true then fighting should be allowed between the whistles too:sarcasm:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They've called slashes to leg before the whistle. Zero reason besides being inept that this wasn't 2 on Strome.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
What's worse is when referees automatically call a slash whenever a stick is broken regardless of whether or not it was an actual slash. A broken stick doesn't always mean it was a slash that broke the stick.

jviss

Feb 8, 2015

Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent's body, the opponent's stick, or on or near the opponent's hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.
Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who slashes an opponent. Any slash that break the opponents stick shall be deemed an automatic penalty.

Interesting that this is indeed on the nhl website that "[a]ny slash that break the opponents stick shall be deemed an automatic penalty," as you found, it is not in the rulebook! The only automatics in the official rules relate to fines, suspensions, and the like, nothing regarding penalty calls themselves. There are no automatic "primary" penalties.

That said, I think this one should have been called.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Watching the replay of the game now, that is hilarious. The ref throws a hissyfit screaming at Pastrnak to go get another stick as though it was his fault.

"GO GET A NEW STICK!!!!" I believe is what he was yelling at Pastrnak.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Why would it matter if the slash happens before or after the puck drop/whistle?

If it's during play, it's a slash. If it's before or after play, maybe it's unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game, but it's still able to be penalized. I don't care what it's called; I just want the penalty to be given.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Watching the replay of the game now, that is hilarious. The ref throws a hissyfit screaming at Pastrnak to go get another stick as though it was his fault.

"GO GET A NEW STICK!!!!" I believe is what he was yelling at Pastrnak.

Puzzling..Dan Orourke staring right at it...followed up closely by missing the call when Marchand tripped up by Tavares

Ahh...NHL reffing...:laugh:

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
It really looks to me like he breaks the stick himself.

The slash happens and he immediately puts heavy pressure on the stick to try and break it, drawing the penalty.

just what I am seeing there, I would guess the ref agreed and thus - no call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->