SL 5x5 and Hockey

MBush0450

Feb 2, 2015
All,
Hoping yall can help I have a fairly active hockey schedule (3xweek). But do to our league scheduling up here in VT (I play on 3 teams) our games aren't scheduled on consistent days (thought I do know in advance).

I am doing the 5x5 program to get stronger for skating but to plan it around my hockey I may need to take more than one day off at times. Is this ok? the Routine calls for 1 day off between workouts (minus the weekends).

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
3 games a week (presumably plus practice) sounds like a lot to fit squatting in. Train hard in the summer, then listen to your body during the season. The goal is to be a better player, right? So being fresh for games is more important than being a power lifter. Don't be afraid to take it easy on the weights when you're playing 3 games a week. SL 5x5 is a beginner power lifting program with linear progression and a ton of squatting - it's designed to BE your athletic schedule, not to be done around one.

If you do SL 5x5 3 times a week all summer, you can build a semi-respectable squat even if you're a complete beginner. During the season you can focus more on maintaining (or maybe slowly building) the squat than trying to continue to build it at the pace that SL 5x5 sets out to do.

So to answer your question of "is it okay to take more than one day off between workouts?" Yes. Your body doesn't get stronger in the gym, it gets stronger when you're recovering after the gym. You're not going to be recovering while playing a game, so it's not a rest day.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
There's a ton of squatting in Stronglifts, but in my experience with Starting Strength it's the deadlift days that will hurt the most. I try to leave minimum 2 days rest before my next hockey game after deadlifting, which would be impossible with your hockey schedule.

MBush0450

Feb 2, 2015
There's a ton of squatting in Stronglifts, but in my experience with Starting Strength it's the deadlift days that will hurt the most. I try to leave minimum 2 days rest before my next hockey game after deadlifting, which would be impossible with your hockey schedule.

Yea I am a beer leaguer. Just trying to find a workout that would help me with my hockey for next season. Trying to find a workout that is hockey specific has been a pain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad