Confirmed with Link: Skyler McKenzie signed to 3 year ELC, $741,700 AAV

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Nice. I was hoping to see him inked. He's got a real nose for the net. Let's see if he can translate his skill over.
He will never crack the Jets line up. I saw everyone of his games last season and he basically went to the net and waited for Cody Glass to make a bunch of moves to pull the D-men and goalie towards him, than Glass would pass to him for finish in a empty net.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Petan will not be playing on the Moose. He is waiver eligible, if he doesn't make the Jets some other team will pick him up off waivers.

Really? Every team has a Petan or 2 tho who has done nothing of note yet .I think he clears easily. Wonder when ppl will stop overrating him tho.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He will never crack the Jets line up. I saw everyone of his games last season and he basically went to the net and waited for Cody Glass to make a bunch of moves to pull the D-men and goalie towards him, than Glass would pass to him for finish in a empty net.

The Jets need a a good net front scorer so if he can develop to the point where he can do that in the show he will fill niche. Having said that he is a long shot as are most 7th round picks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really? Every team has a Petan or 2 tho who has done nothing of note yet .I think he clears easily. Wonder when ppl will stop overrating him tho.

I can name a number of teams that have poor wing depth that would take a shot at him. The Oilers for one ran Tie Rattie on their first line for an extended period last year, Petan doesn't make it past them imo.

Pittsburgh is another team that is always looking for a bargain winger who thinks the game well and can play with either Crosby or Malkin.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I can name a number of teams that have poor wing depth that would take a shot at him. The Oilers for one ran Tie Rattie on their first line for an extended period last year, Petan doesn't make it past them imo.

Pittsburgh is another team that is always looking for a bargain winger who thinks the game well and can play with either Crosby or Malkin.
so your solution to possibly loosing him if we send him down and possibly developing to be able to play in the nhl 1 day for us is to have him rot in the pb for 82 games and lose another year of development.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
so your solution to possibly loosing him if we send him down and possibly developing to be able to play in the nhl 1 day for us is to have him rot in the pb for 82 games and lose another year of development.

What exactly is your solution? The Jets had three years to develop him in the AHL (A good chunck of which the squandered having him rot in the pb or on the 4th line here) and now in order to do that they have to make him available to every other team in the league in order to try to sneak him through. He was a PPG guy there last season and I would wager the chances of him clearing waivers are thin. We are spoiled here with the quality of wingers on the team but take a voyage around the league and you will quickly find out that there are teams out there that are very thin at the wing position and will take a flyer on a kid with great junior pedigree who just came off a great AHL season. It costs them nothing. Wouldn't you do the exact same thing as a rival GM who is looking to fill a need?

Also I don't buy that he rots in the press box for 82 games. There are two spots open on the roster now with Stastny and Armia out. He is perfectly capable of winning one of those spots. Perrault also can't stay healthy to save his live either so he will get time there if he starts in the PB.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
What exactly is your solution? The Jets had three years to develop him in the AHL (A good chunck of which the squandered having him rot in the pb or on the 4th line here) and now in order to do that they have to make him available to every other team in the league in order to try to sneak him through. He was a PPG guy there last season and I would wager the chances of him clearing waivers are thin. We are spoiled here with the quality of wingers on the team but take a voyage around the league and you will quickly find out that there are teams out there that are very thin at the wing position and will take a flyer on a kid with great junior pedigree who just came off a great AHL season. It costs them nothing. Wouldn't you do the exact same thing as a rival GM who is looking to fill a need?

Also I don't buy that he rots in the press box for 82 games. There are two spots open on the roster now with Stastny and Armia out. He is perfectly capable of winning one of those spots. Perrault also can't stay healthy to save his live either so he will get time there if he starts in the PB.
there is only 1 spot open on the 3rd line. and if he cant win it in the fall and I don't believe he can they will be doing him a big disservice keeping him in the press again. he needs to play. I would believe you agree he needs to play every night.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
there is only 1 spot open on the 3rd line. and if he cant win it in the fall and I don't believe he can they will be doing him a big disservice keeping him in the press again. he needs to play. I would believe you agree he needs to play every night.

Yes my personal preference is for him to play. But the org has lost depth at forward in the last 6 months, Stastny, a good third line winger in Armia and good forward prospect in Foley. If you look at it from the point of view of the organization do you feel they can afford to take the risk of losing a 4th forward asset for nothing?

Also if you don't feel Petan can win the spot (Given he beat out players for a spot last TC) who wins that last spot?

Lemieux is waiver eligible and not talented enough to play a skilled role, plus he has discipline issues.

Appelton is also waiver eligible and still needs some more development time.

Vesalainen is talented but the team has an incentive to keep him on the farm due to his ELC being eligible to slide one year to provide more cap benefit when he is more developed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyhow this is the Mckenzie thread and we should be talking about him here not Petan.

I think he can possibly surprise on the Moose next year on the 2nd PP. Not sure which line he fits on.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes my personal preference is for him to play. But the org has lost depth at forward in the last 6 months, Stastny, a good third line winger in Armia and good forward prospect in Foley. If you look at it from the point of view of the organization do you feel they can afford to take the risk of losing a 4th forward asset for nothing?

Also if you don't feel Petan can win the spot (Given he beat out players for a spot last TC) who wins that last spot?

Lemieux is waiver eligible and not talented enough to play a skilled role, plus he has discipline issues.

Appelton is also waiver eligible and still needs some more development time.

Vesalainen is talented but the team has an incentive to keep him on the farm due to his ELC being eligible to slide one year to provide more cap benefit when he is more developed.

Think you hit the nail on the head there. My thoughts exactly. The dynamic has really changed now. They expect Rosie to take a forward spot and this coming season is Petan and Dano's last chance to prove they can be full time NHLers. I'd expect that whomever doesn't prove they can stick they will attempt to trade and if no one bites they waive them.

Scheif, Wheels, Little, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Lowry, Perreault, Copp, Tanev are probably locks for spots out of camp. That's 10 forwards which leaves two spots on the main roster and at least 1 spot in the PB. Rosie, Petan and Dano are the likely candidates there. Could end up being our "4th" line actually...

Petan - Roslovic - Dano

Though depending on how guys camps go we could see someone force their hand but they would have to have a really stand out camp to do it. Vesalainen and Appleton are the only ones really capable of that in my mind.

Reactions: kellhunter

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyhow this is the Mckenzie thread and we should be talking about him here not Petan.

I think he can possibly surprise on the Moose next year on the 2nd PP. Not sure which line he fits on.

Kid is a buzzsaw. IMO has a lot of the qualities Petan lacks and lacks a lot of qualities Petan has. Fearless, great skater, battles hard, blocks shots and is a good two way player despite his size. Also has a much better shot arsenal but not quite as good on the vision and playmaking side of things.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Think you hit the nail on the head there. My thoughts exactly. The dynamic has really changed now. They expect Rosie to take a forward spot and this coming season is Petan and Dano's last chance to prove they can be full time NHLers. I'd expect that whomever doesn't prove they can stick they will attempt to trade and if no one bites they waive them.

Scheif, Wheels, Little, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Lowry, Perreault, Copp, Tanev are probably locks for spots out of camp. That's 10 forwards which leaves two spots on the main roster and at least 1 spot in the PB. Rosie, Petan and Dano are the likely candidates there. Could end up being our "4th" line actually...

Petan - Roslovic - Dano

Though depending on how guys camps go we could see someone force their hand but they would have to have a really stand out camp to do it. Vesalainen and Appleton are the only ones really capable of that in my mind.
There is only 1 spot open not 2. Roslovic should make it. Hoping chevy trades myers and gets back a peice to fill that 3rd line and a 1st. But I'm trying to figure out how you can have a line like that with roslovic Dano petan. Is Perreault in the Pb. Or did one of copp or Tanev who were regulars all year and playoffs go to the Pb in favor of a Pb and ahl player of last year Dano and petan.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There is only 1 spot open not 2. Roslovic should make it. Hoping chevy trades myers and gets back a peice to fill that 3rd line and a 1st. But I'm trying to figure out how you can have a line like that with roslovic Dano petan. Is Perreault in the Pb. Or did one of copp or Tanev who were regulars all year and playoffs go to the Pb in favor of a Pb and ahl player of last year Dano and petan.

Connor - Scheif - Wheels
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
Perreault/Petan - Roslovic/Petan - Dano/Roslovic/Perreault

Yeah sorry forgot about Perreault in my head. He's easy to forget about for some reason.

I think the team really wants Roslovic to take a center spot. Though I do agree Rosie is likely to make the team it's not written in stone yet. Hard to say if Little bounces back as well, which will change things a bit. Especially if he can gel with Ehlers and Laine. Though unlikely IMO, but like I said you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad