Skelleftea's Sundqvist taking big strides in development

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
2012_nhl_draft_oskar_sundqvist_pittsburgh_062312.jpg
Photo: Swedish forward Oskar Sundqvist brings a rare blend of size, skill, and grit to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization. Sundqvist was picked in the third round of the 2012 NHL Draft. (courtesy of Gregory Shamus/NHLI via Getty Images)

The Pittsburgh Penguins rarely drafted out of Europe under former general manager Ray Shero. Nor did they draft many forwards with size. So when Shero and company selected a big-bodied, little known Swedish center named*Oskar Sundqvist in the third round of the 2012 NHL Draft, there was naturally some intrigue.

Two years later and Sundqvist remains an intriguing prospect. He recently finished his first full season of SHL hockey, playing mostly in the bottom six, and was a key contributor in Skelleftea’s SHL championship playoff run.… read more

The post Skelleftea’s Sundqvist taking big strides in development appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Nice read. The picture of him is... all those draftee mugshots are pretty awkward, but I still get a laugh out of them. The panic some of us had earlier in the summer because he hadn't signed his entry level deal seems pretty silly now, especially reading his quotes. Seems like a good, humble kid. I hope he stays in Sweden and gets more responsibility over at Skelleftea this year, maybe WB/S the following year.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
I think he'll get lots of top 6 time this season. Should be good for him.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The article mentioned that many players are leaving Skelleftea. Are the two he played with in last year's playoffs still there? It would be great if he can play with them again.

Ericsson left for the KHL but Forssell is still around and is now the captain. Sundqvist was on his line for the last champions league game, and they combined for 5 points (well 4 of them came from Forssell ;)). The other winger on the line was veteran SHLer Daniel Widing. Solid 2nd line if they stay together.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Ericsson left for the KHL but Forssell is still around and is now the captain. Sundqvist was on his line for the last champions league game, and they combined for 5 points (well 4 of them came from Forssell ;)). The other winger on the line was veteran SHLer Daniel Widing. Solid 2nd line if they stay together.

I liked the part about the 5 points, too bad about the parenthesis part. The general knock about him has been skating, correct? The article didn't really mention it, I wonder if he made any strides there, no pun intended.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
The article mentioned that many players are leaving Skelleftea. Are the two he played with in last year's playoffs still there? It would be great if he can play with them again.

I think they're actually losing all of their top 6 scorers.

Ericsson (sixth overall in scoring for Skelleftea) will be going to St. Peterseburg in the KHL. Forsell will be returning to Skelleftea.

Their top scorer, Joakim Andersson, will be joining St. Louis.

Osar Moller, their second highest scorer, will be joining Ak Bars Kazan.

Viktor Arvedsson, their third-leading scorer, will play for Milwaukee.

Pierre Bellemore, their fourth overall scorer, will be playing for the Flyers.

Bud Holloway, their fifth overall scorer, will be playing for Bern.

So Sundqvist won't have a top six job handed to him, but he should be an odds on favorite to see regular top-six ice time.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sundqvist needs to get more explosive, play more consistently physical, two things he acknowledged during the interview, he also quickly added that they are two things he's been working on for awhile, and that he's getting better, but it's taking awhile.

I think the physical part of his game will come with more ice time. He has no problems playing that style of game and seems to like to hit people with his big frame.

He still has room to physically grow too, maybe not in height, but in size.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
In the one game I saw him last week his speed looked alright. Not a burner but it didn't hold him back either. But it was only a European game between teams still working through their pre-seasons. The NHL will be a different level. And for reportedly being 209 lbs he looked quite gangly to me.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
In the one game I saw him last week his speed looked alright. Not a burner but it didn't hold him back either. But it was only a European game between teams still working through their pre-seasons. The NHL will be a different level. And for reportedly being 209 lbs he looked quite gangly to me.

He is a gangly right now, but he's gigantic. Probably one of the only players at camp who didn't fudge his measurements. I'd say he's probably closer to 190 than 200 though. I think he can add a fair amount of weight over the next few years. He has the type of build, where he could probably get up to 220+ as an adult. Not that he necessarily should...

Issue with skating seemed to be less his overall speed and more his explosiveness. I don't think it will be prohibitive.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
He is a gangly right now, but he's gigantic. Probably one of the only players at camp who didn't fudge his measurements. I'd say he's probably closer to 190 than 200 though. I think he can add a fair amount of weight over the next few years. He has the type of build, where he could probably get up to 220+ as an adult. Not that he necessarily should...

Issue with skating seemed to be less his overall speed and more his explosiveness. I don't think it will be prohibitive.

This is spot on. Thanks for the analysis

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I was hoping the Pens would pick up Arvidsson just so I could see him on the ice with Sundqvist again. The size difference is pretty hilarious.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is he going to be in WBS full-time this coming year?

I think he'd benefit from playing in Skelleftea for another year. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is welcoming six new fulltime forwards this year. Sundqvist will almost assuredly see 15+ minutes and regular top six duties in Sweden, would probably see third or fourth-line duties in AHL, or play in ECHL. Too many guys ahead of him that are a few years older.

ObsessedCreative*

I think he'd benefit from playing in Skelleftea for another year. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is welcoming six new fulltime forwards this year. Sundqvist will almost assuredly see 15+ minutes and regular top six duties in Sweden, would probably see third or fourth-line duties in AHL, or play in ECHL. Too many guys ahead of him that are a few years older.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up and review. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad