Skating on Outside Edges and push

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
I have always struggled with my outside edges. THis means I struggle doing effective crossovers and tight runs because I leave too much weight on the outside foot because is is the one on the inside edge. When I skate on my outside edge how should I be pushing. Should I be pushing from heel to baby toe ie the opposite of inside edges. Any help appreciated.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You shouldn't really have any thoughts on the stride itself while crossing over and certainly not thinking of doing anything different for inside/outside foot.

Lots of beginners struggle with the balance and confidence of really leaning in and putting weight on that inside foot (and thus outside edge) when trying to crossover at first.

I would look at drills that target the outside edge specifically such as Scissor drill.

After that, start slowly putting more weight on the inside foot when crossing over and really leaning into the turn. You might have more confidence in doing this if you're in gear with elbows and shins to cushion and potential falls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Practice your stops and starts between the bluelines on both your strong and weak side. Its not cross overs, but it will help you feel those edges.

Dont forget to use your stick as a counter balance when doing your cross overs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have always struggled with my outside edges. THis means I struggle doing effective crossovers and tight runs because I leave too much weight on the outside foot because is is the one on the inside edge. When I skate on my outside edge how should I be pushing. Should I be pushing from heel to baby toe ie the opposite of inside edges. Any help appreciated.

You will get a lot of well meaning advice, but most of it won’t help you until you learn the simple basics of how to balance on your outside edges.

Doing crossover drills shouldn’t be your focus right now if you can’t do a one foot turn on both outside edges.

You will need to get two pushes (inside and outside edge) from each crossover if you want to get maximum power and do it properly.

Most kids and adults who aren’t good skaters, will do ‘bunny hop’ crossovers and not get both pushes... the problem is because they can’t balance long enough on their outside edge to complete a proper crossover.

For now, just practice one foot turns on each outside edge over and over and over... until you can make those turns and hold your back leg up as long as possible without rushing to put it down and re-balance yourself.

Watch the first drill in this video and practice it every chance you get:

Keep doing this drill and you will see a dramatic difference in your ability to do true crossovers.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
One of my favorite drills is the simple slow step over. Basically, you start in an A stance. You then shift your weight onto one leg, roll foot from the inside edge onto the outside edge, and step over. You have to do this while maintaining control, a proper crouch, and have your feet always be pointed forward.

Here's a video of a guy doing advanced version. To start, you want to be doing it at the speed he's doing it at when he's simply explaining things, and it's like he's just walking sideways down the ice. You don't need to stop like the guy does in the video. Like I said, he's doing a slightly different version of what I'm talking about.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Break it down. Do outside edge figure 8's, outside edge glides, one foot slalom's, scissor skates etc. until it becomes second nature. Then when you're practicing crossovers, make sure you hold/pause on that outside edge & get a good push off of it, make some noise with your blade. Also try those drills upright vs down low, you'll find that you have much better balance & control if you get low.

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
You will get a lot of well meaning advice, but most of it won’t help you until you learn the simple basics of how to balance on your outside edges.

Doing crossover drills shouldn’t be your focus right now if you can’t do a one foot turn on both outside edges.

You will need to get two pushes (inside and outside edge) from each crossover if you want to get maximum power and do it properly.

Most kids and adults who aren’t good skaters, will do ‘bunny hop’ crossovers and not get both pushes... the problem is because they can’t balance long enough on their outside edge to complete a proper crossover.

For now, just practice one foot turns on each outside edge over and over and over... until you can make those turns and hold your back leg up as long as possible without rushing to put it down and re-balance yourself.

Watch the first drill in this video and practice it every chance you get:

Keep doing this drill and you will see a dramatic difference in your ability to do true crossovers.

This post is gold. I watched the video a week ago and learned to do the one foot outside edge turns. Practiced it a lot and now I am literally able to do one footed outside edge skating backwards with ease.

I'm not saying I couldn't use my outside edges before at all, but this has drastically developed my skating and playing in general so much.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This post is gold. I watched the video a week ago and learned to do the one foot outside edge turns. Practiced it a lot and now I am literally able to do one footed outside edge skating backwards with ease.

I'm not saying I couldn't use my outside edges before at all, but this has drastically developed my skating and playing in general so much.

Glad the post and most especially the video helped you out.

Lots of people struggle with their crossovers and aren’t sure why, but it’s all about being good on those outside edges.

Reactions: TimbeS

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Personally I found it easier to learn backwards crossovers than forwards. This got me comfortable enough on my outside edges to try and do it forwards.

For a while, I could only do it in one direction (turning left with the right foot crossing over the left one) but eventually I learned to do it on both feet in either direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad